Wiped Out | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-18-2002, 03:29 PM
Wiped Out

Is anyone else who is having surgery for excessive bleeding EXTREMELY tired? I know that I am anemic and take iron as directed by my doctor, but I am just so tired and it seems as though it just keeps getting worse and worse. My husband makes fun of me because I take more naps than our three year old. But I can't help it-I'm so tired. It's actually beyond tired- I just feel compltetly wiped out. I had a friend over this morning and we just sat and had a cup of coffee and talked for a few hours, after she left I laid down on my bed and just crashed. I have to be up now and start getting dinner ready in a few minutes and I just feel like there is not an ounce of enery left in my body. It's like when you've been really sick with the flu or something and the illness is passed but you just have no strength left. If I am going to be more tired post-op than pre-op I don't think I'll be awake much for weeks. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions for how to have a little more energy? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 03:37 PM
Wiped Out

I was extremely tired before surgery and I wasn't bleeding at all. Fibroids take a lot of blood (energy) to sustain, and with the stress of knowing you're having surgery, and all that goes with it, it's completely normal to be tired. Alot of us use naps to "get away from it all" as the thought of surgery is overwelming. Nothing wrong with naps. This is a time to give your body what it needs.

I am 2 weeks post op and although I'm not 100%, it's a different tired. I am sure when I fully recover from surgery, I'll have much more energy than before. That's what I've heard. So I trust that it is so.

Take care.
Unread 04-18-2002, 04:33 PM
Hi Kathy

I totally understand what you are describing. After bleeding non-stop and excessively heavy all through Janaury, February, and March, I was so weak, I could barely move. I couldn't walk more than 10 feet without gasping for air and having to stop to rest. I was creeping around the house like I was 99 years old instead of 39.

The exhaustion became so bad that I ended up in the hospital the Thursday before Easter and was admitted because the ER doctor thought my shortness of breath was due to a heart problem. I could have (and tried to) tell her that it was due to the anemia, but she didn't listen. Silly doc.

Three weeks later, after taking massive doses of iron, I'm back to about 80% normal. (I did notice today that I'm feeling tired and out of breath again.)

My biggest fear is my last period, which is due any day now. If it follows the pattern of the last several months, I'll be right back to square one again in a week or so, dragging around like snails carrying lumber. I dread this so much. I wish there was some way to avoid it, but I guess I just have to put up with it ONE LAST TIME!!!!!!!

Just hang in there. We'll both be better after our trips to the castle when we earn the honor of becoming punctured princesses.

Lisa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 05:09 PM
Wiped Out

Kathy,

What is your iron level? You probably could double your intake. Call your doctor first for another test and tell him your symtoms. If you are below a certain level he will postpone your surgery. Iron is something that you have to be really faithfull with. Daily, no matter what and the right amount. Also, add all the iron fortified foods to your diet that is possible and keep taking those

Best wishes...from someone who at times, drags around like an old dirty dog!

Maralyn
Unread 04-18-2002, 06:23 PM
Wiped Out

I agree----you sound like you're really anemic. I'd ask your doc to check your hemoblobin level. I had been taking iron for months and just wasn't absorbing it at all. I'm now taking a liquid iron supplement twice a day. I have to take it with liquid vitamin C to help absorb it. It tastes pretty nasty but I'm really wanting to feel better and get this over with!!
Unread 04-18-2002, 06:31 PM

Thanks everyone. It's good to now I'm not alone I have my pre-op appointment coming up soon so I'll be sure to check out my iron level with my dr. Anemia really stinks! I hate being so tired and sometimes I feel dizzy (from anemia as well I guess?). Two and half weeks til I start on the road to having a life again
Thanks again ladies!
Unread 04-18-2002, 07:03 PM
Wiped Out

Take your iron with vitamin c it helps your body to absorb the iron. have your dr. check your b12 levels i was told if it was low it would prevent absorption. another hint i was told before my surgery...eat cream of wheat cereal....it sounds funny but it's high in iron...45% of the rda. I had it every morning for breakfast for a few weeks before my surgery...it really helped to raise my hemoglobin numbers.
Unread 04-18-2002, 07:33 PM
Wiped Out

Kathy,
I agree with some of the other advice here, you may not be absorbing the iron. That's something you'll really need to watch because I've read about more than one surgery being postponed because of low iron.

Yes, you'll feel tired after surgery but once the periods have stopped you may be surprised at how much better you will feel. Not the first couple of weeks, but after that I think your strength will start coming back. Meanwhile, rest as much as you can and don't feel guilty about it. You have a problem, you're under extreme stress ... your body is telling you it needs rest so don't fight it.

Beth
Unread 04-18-2002, 08:44 PM
Wiped Out

Hi Kathy!

I can relate to being wiped out!! Come home from work and sleep fridays come around its like i hit a brick wall. Im not anemic but I do have liver problems so I always go to family drs. have thyroid and enzymes checked. Fine in that dept for now. But with stress of surgery and pain - just wears me out.

I have no children just a cat and dh and he cooks, does his own laundry so you would think I would have more energy.

Give yourself alot of credit also you have a 3 year old to contend with, major surgery coming up and preparing for that.

GO AHEAD AND REST WHEN YOU CAN! do what the ladies suggest!
Ive read alot of good suggestions in this forum.

having tah/bso
Unread 04-19-2002, 02:20 AM
Wiped Out

Hi Kathy,

I was in the exact situation you are from December, January and February and also March. Scheduled surgery for March 14 but because of the excess bleeding, (I basically never stopped, 24/7) my hemoglobin was down to a 6.5 (norm being 12) and they cancelled surgery at the last minute to avoid risk. I have just now taken my 2nd shot of Lupron (one March 15 and one April 15) which STOPPED the bleeding and am scheduled for surgery on May 20.

I was sooooo tired and had been for over a year. I kept blaming it on being out of shape and getting old (at 38!). Now at least I know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Already, after only 1-1/2 months of no bleeding, I feel sooo much more engergetic. I can even stay up til 11!!! (hahaha) Hopefully, post surgery I'll even be able to start running again which I miss terribly.

Good luck and now that soon you'll feel back to your normal self - and this will all be behind you permanently.

Shannon

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register