Lupron | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-18-2002, 05:03 PM
Lupron

I am planning on a hysterectomy in September. I've been hearing alot about Lupron. Mostly just some side effects. My doctor gave me a choice if I wanted it or not. I don't really know that much about it. I was wondering if anybody was on it. Is it worth going on until the "H"? I have terrible pain. I also walk around like I'm about 8 months pregnant, thats how bloated I am. I have terrible backache and my abdomin is so sore. I have endo in my right ovary and tube. With an enlarged uterus.

Thanks,
Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 05:30 PM
Lupron

I was on it for about two months to try and avoid the surgery. I had endo on my ovary and across my uterus from a c-section. It didn't really help with the pain for me but by the time I tried the Lupron I had already had one surgery and a couple of other meds that didn't work so I am not sure if it was unaffective or if I was just sick of being in pain. So I am not so sure what advice I can offer except that I know the thoughts and questions that go through one's mind while you are trying to decide yes or no.

Good luck to you. Best wishes Brandy Gail
Unread 04-18-2002, 06:54 PM
Lupron

Hi Melissa. I was on Lupron for six months last summer. I did have some side effects, but it did help the endo pain. I would do it again if I knew it would have delayed my surgery longer. Unfortunately, it didn't delay mine by much. I'm scheduled for surgery in July. My biggest side effect was hot flashes, but it also "messed" with my mind. I felt very emotional and completely stupid! (And, I'm not that stupid normally!! LOL) I know this is a big decision for you, or at least it was for me. The other thing about the Lupron is the cost. It's very expensive, even with good medical insurance! I wish you the best. Keep in touch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 11:54 PM
Lupron

Hi Melissa,
I posted a message about Lupron a few days ago and received lots of information from all the wonderful ladies on this site and decided to go for it. I will get my 1st shot today at 4.00pm. I have a very large cervical fibroid and the dr. wants to shrink my uterus and fibroid before the hysterectomy in July. I will probably take 3 shots before the ops. If you like to know about it from 'fresh' experience, you are welcme to email me anytime after today and I will try to give you an honest answer! Good Luck! hongwah.
Unread 04-19-2002, 12:05 AM
Lupron

Hi, Melissa! Some women have good results from Lupron, and others have bad side effects that they have a hard time dealing with. You can go to the top of the page to "search" and type in "Lupron" to read past threads on this subject. Also on the thread "Helpful Links" you can find sites for endo and other Gyn topics. Hope this helps some. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 04-19-2002, 02:11 AM
Lupron

Hi Melissa...

Although I don't have any pain, I have multiple small fibroids that have caused incredible bleeding, flooding and bloating. I took my first shot of Lupron in March after we had to postpone my surgery because my blood count was too low to risk operation. I had my second and last shot just this past Monday. I am scheduled to go ahead with surgery on May 20.

I had heard a lot of nasty things about Lupron, and was nervous, but it has been fine. For me, this has given me so much to look forward to post surgery on what life is finally going to be like. No bleeding, energy level getting back to where it used to be. (I had been a runner for about 8 - 9 years, and had done 6 half marathons before this situation with my bleeding finally started getting the best of me.)

To date, the only noticable side effects have been the hot flashes. Those are pretty constant, but I thought I would be sweating and needing to strip off clothes all the time and it's not like that at all. For me, that is not much at all in exchange for how well I feel in every other aspect. Never mind that it will make my surgery situation much less risky.

I am very glad that I opted for this and although I am still very nervous about surgery (the only times I've ever been in the hospital is when my two children were born!) I am thrilled and excited to get on the other side of this and feel this good all the time.

Good luck!

Shannon

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register