Comparison to c-section | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Comparison to c-section Comparison to c-section

Unread 04-18-2002, 05:08 PM
Comparison to c-section

I am scheduled for TAH in 3 weeks, for fibroids and adhesions. I am 37 and have had two c-sections. I found them to be much easier post-op than I had expected (unpleasant, of course, but not awful!). However, I have been told by others who have had TAH that it feels completely different post-op than a c-section. (Geez, I thought I knew what to expect!) Is this true? I did have gas pain and significant incisional pain before, so I am ready for that, but how different can it really be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 07:02 PM
Comparison to c-section

I also had a C-section years ago. Yes, the TAH does feel different. It's not as bad. The experience of the C-section was enough to scare me out of having more kids. It's one reason I also put off having the hysto because I'd remember what I felt like. Now, I realize since the uterus is not there with stitches, there's less to hurt after the hysto. If your C-sections weren't bad, you'll come through the TAH just fine. Oh, and you WILL have gas.
Unread 04-18-2002, 08:01 PM
Comparison to c-section

Hi Kathleen

You know, I think this varies depending on the person. I've read many posts here from ladies who had c-sections, then had abdominal hysts and said the hyst was much tougher. Even though you won't have a uterus with stitches, you'll have many other internal stitches where things have been cut away.

Of course, each lady is different. But I don't think you should necessarily expect that your hyst will be easier than a c-section. Some ladies find it to be much more difficult to recover from the hyst. This is one of those things that no one can predict for sure. You might talk to your gyn about this to get more details on all the internal parts that will have stitches and need healing time.

Best of luck!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Comparison to c-section

I will be honest. I thought my c was much easier then my hyst. But I also had a spinal with the c and was pain free for 24 hours. So I was able to get up moving and work my muscles without pain. I wasn't so lucky with the hyst. This surgery involves alot more muscles,ligaments,etc. I bounced right back after my c. The healing process will be alot longer with the hyst.
Take care and good luck.
L
Unread 04-19-2002, 05:05 AM
Comparison to c-section

I've had two c-sections and recovered pretty quickly from both as you did. But they are not just stitching up a uterus here, they are cutting it away from some ligaments and removing it. I found it more difficult to recover didn't feel recovered to any significant degree until about 4-5 weeks post-op. Everyone is different and I suspect it depends on how bad the c-section recoveries were, how old you are at each surgery, what kind of shape you are in at each surgery, etc.
Unread 04-19-2002, 06:00 AM
Comparison to c-section

Wow, no matter how many times I see this question I'm always amazed at the different answers it gets!

I have had 4 cuts. 1 horizontal, kid. 1 vertical kid. 1 vertical tubal. 1 horizontal hyster. I personally feel that the horizontal cut is easier to recover from, no matter what kind of surgery you have! Everyone is so different, from the kind of cut to the recovery. It really is hard to gauge what you will feel like until after the surgery. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. I did ask my docs if I could get a horizontal cut as I remember the easy recovery from the c-section, compared to the other cuts. They told me that it was easier for recovery on me, but harder on them in surgery. I told them that I was more concerned about my recovery than about the surgery! They laughed and understood. Also, they couldn't tell me what I was going to have, as they were under the impression that I had fibroids. They needed me asleep and then they would see if the uterus was free-moving. If so, I could have a horizontal cut. So, there are many things that go into the mix for recovery.

Good luck and make sure to come back on the post-op side to tell your story about the differences between the c-section and the hyster!

Sara
Unread 04-19-2002, 07:02 AM
Comparison to c-section

I still have to ask doc what all she did. She said she had to cut away one ovary and take endo of the bowel, but I don't have all the details on what got stitched where. Will doctors give you a copy of your surgical report?
Unread 04-19-2002, 08:05 AM
Comparison to c-section

My pathology report was included in my records. As a military patient I had to hand carry my records from one hospital to where they did the surgery. I would think that if you asked for the report, they would mail it to you. After all, it is your body! Can't hurt to ask, worst thing they would say is no.

Sara
Unread 04-19-2002, 10:09 AM
Comparison to c-section

I had one c section way back in 1977 (horizontal cut) and what I remember as being the worse bit about it was when it came to being got out of bed the first time. I had two nurses to help me get out of bed and to support me while I walked and I remember it hurting a lot.

With my hyster, I had a vertical cut. A nurse gave me a wash the day after my op and then suggested I got out of bed and sat in the chair for a few minutes while she changed my bed. I just swung my legs gently over the side and stood up all by myself. It was easy, no pain at all!

In the first few hours after my op, I did have some bad internal pain (a bit like a bad period pain) which I definitely didn't have with the c-section. It went away pretty quickly though. I think on the whole the c-section was worse for me - probably because I had been in labour for several hours before the emergency op and had terrible piles as a result! Ow! I can almost feel the pain now!

Take care,
Unread 04-19-2002, 01:36 PM
Comparison to c-section

To LRemaly:

Yes, you can get a copy of your surgical report and your pathology report. Just ask your gyn. I believe you can also get these reports from the hospital, but I can't imagine that your gyn will refuse ... it's your right to have this information. Even though I didn't understand all the medical terms, it was pretty interesting to read everything that was done during my surgery.

Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register