After reading others-my symptoms seem minor? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

After reading others-my symptoms seem minor? After reading others-my symptoms seem minor?

Unread 04-18-2002, 09:16 PM
After reading others-my symptoms seem minor?

Wow! Thank you to everyone for your posts! I have been reading for the past hour and am feeling much better and also a little concerned--I am feeling a little bit llike a whiner.
My uterus is only the size of a two month pregnancy--I bleed heavily and cramp big time. But my biggest complaint is that my lower back hurts on and off through out the month and that when I have a bowel movement it can hurt a lot because my uterus in prolasped and retroverted. And if I wake up at night the weird heavy sometimes painful sensation can keep me awake. Oh yeah the biggest complaint I have is PMS! I get really irritable and emotional--I want this to be relieved too. Oh and no sex drive at all. I am just realizing that I have had it pretty easy compared to some.

Many of you have been through sooo much! Thank you for sharing. Wishing us all the best!
Ingrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 09:50 PM

Ingrid, it doesn't sound like you have had it easy AT ALL!! Just cuz some of the sisters have a bigger fibroid, or more of whatever symptoms, or complications, doesn't mean YOUR problems are any less! Pain, bleeding, PMS, no sex drive, gosh that sure sounds major to me.

Anything that interferes that much with your life is a big deal. Here is a big , and my wishes that your surgery and recovery go smoothly and that soon you will have your life back and be full of energy and fun once again!

Unread 04-18-2002, 10:17 PM
I can relate

Ingrid, I felt the same way about my surgery. All I had were bad menstrual cramps a few days a month -- seemed like nothing compared to cancer, constant bleeding, anemia, enlarged uteruses....

But the truth is, I needed this surgery too. Chronic pain takes a toll on the body and my body was at the end of its rope. I'm glad I had the surgery done -- no more cramps for me, ever! Yay!

I guess the lesson is don't compare yourself to other people here. Just evaluate your own individual need for this surgery.

s --

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 10:26 PM

Ingrid,
Everyone is right. Your problems are what affects your body and you have to deal with them. Your pain is no less that anyone elses. I hope that your experience all goes well and much luck with surgery. God Bless You.

hysteriaat21
Unread 04-19-2002, 06:50 AM
Thank you

Wow!
It is such a relief to have found you all. It is very calming to read your responses and just to know that I can come here through out my day and connect.

Rationally I know that my experience is subjective and I need to do my research and base any decisions on my body and its experiences. Thank you for reminding me.

But geez--I am just not very rational these days. I am soooo cranky!! What is up with this?

Chronic pain does take its toll!

Blessed be,
Ingrid
Unread 04-19-2002, 07:02 AM
My feelings too

Hi Ingrid,

After reading a lot of the ladies' horror stories here, I too felt that I had it easy. I do have fibroids, and my uterus is now the size of a 20 week pregnancy (and getting bigger as we speak!), and for the past four months, I have had the most horrendous heavy periods to the point of ending up in the hospital. (Not even mentioning the PMS, which I'll deny having until my dying day. Everyone else around me is cranky - NOT me!!)

But I'm blessed not to have had the pain and cramps so many of our sisters endure, no endo, no cancer, etc. I felt like a fraud for a while and wondered if I really even needed the surgery. But after five doctors and two nurses recommended it, and after thinking about the weakness, fatigue, and shortness of breath I have due to anemia, I realize that the only solution to this problem is to remove the source of the problem once and for all.

Just know that your problems are important when it's your body involved. Anything that makes you feel less than 100% needs to be to be taken seriously and a solution found.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Unread 04-19-2002, 07:20 AM

I also thought I had it easy, as far as pain and a lot of the other symptoms were concerned. My fibroids were discovered 3 1/2 years ago, because of heavy, continuous bleeding. I was put on Provera 11 days a month to control the bleeding. It did its job for three years, but it made PMS even worse. I called it drug enhanced PMS. My mood swings were terrible.

Last fall the provera failed and my DR said it was time. My fibroids had grown from 6 week to 16 week. I was also anemic. Some ladies have said that you get used to the fatigue and not feeling right, that you just think it's normal. I was always tired, but chalked it up to long hours at work, or taking care of my baby grandson. I had to take naps every evening. I have also realized that I was walking kind of hunched over, and I know I had a hard time sitting straight. I am 10 weeks post op and I really must have felt awful before.

I have a lot more energy and my husband has mentioned how even tempered I've been.

So don't feel that you have to wait til you can't take it anymore. If you have the opportunity to improve your quality of life, and it's what you want to do, go for it.
Unread 04-19-2002, 07:56 AM
Hello

Ingrid.

You cannot compare yourself to anyone else! As the other sisters have said you sound like you have gone through enough. Remember you are important. Only you and your Dr can decide whether or not your surgery is necessary.

Take care

Unread 04-19-2002, 08:16 AM

Yes pain does cause a real strain on your body....last year i had shingles which was caused from my body being in so much stress.
I guess we all should just try to R-E-L-A-X
Alli
Unread 04-19-2002, 08:36 AM

I bet you grew up with people telling you, "if you think you have it bad, this is nothing compared to when I had to walk in the snow barefoot" That type of guilt trip! I know that is the story of my life, but deep down inside, something always told me, "but I am feeling the pain and it is bad for ME!!!" That has usually taken care of it. But, I agree with the sisters, you don't sound like you have been going through a picnic either. After all Ingrid, if you do not take care of yourself. Number one: Who else will?, and Number two: You will not be good to anyone else. Anyway, e-mail me anytime you want to talk.

Take Care and God Bless You,

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register