After reading others-my symptoms seem minor? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

After reading others-my symptoms seem minor? After reading others-my symptoms seem minor?

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:08 AM
me too

I'm so glad I found your posts. I too was thinking I should not be here yet. Maybe I should wait until I'm in more pain before I do anything about this. I've been in menopause for three years now, but a month ago started spotting and had cramps. Went through the sonogram and endo biopsy. They found several fibroids the size of large marbles. But since I'm in menopause and don't need these OLD parts, I just want them out and the cramps and spotting to go away. I'm I wrong in wanting this op so soon? Do I need to suffer longer like my sistas? Now I'm more confused then when I began this post. :confuse:
signed: Muddled in Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:59 AM
You're NOT wrong!

Hi Bonnie,

No, you aren't wrong in wanting to put an end to the problems you have been having. You can't compare yourself to other women. You have to take care of you. And you shouldn't have to put up with feeling less than 100% if there is a way out!!

It is far better to take care of a problem early, then to leave it and let it become a nightmare. From my past and present experience, I can tell you that firboids the size of marbles can soon become the size of bowling balls!! And the bigger they get, the more uncomfortable they get. They have a way of pushing everything else upwards. Right now, I'm having a heck of a time getting my breath and as I posted earlier today, I feel like I'm going to :explode:

While there is a good chance that your fibroids wouldn't grow due to decreased estrogen since you reached menopause, if they are causing problems now, I can tell you, it probably won't get any better.

So don't feel bad about it. You're doing what is right for you. As you should be.

Lisa

Unread 04-19-2002, 04:12 PM
if we were men

Ingrid,

Yep, we all have different stuff going on. Bottom line is,
we can lead a more normal life and be more useful to ourselves, our families and our community if we take advantage of the technology and the skill of our physicians.

Please don't feel that you need to be in more pain to justify this surgery. If we were men.........................we wouln't have his conversation much less a need for this site! Someday someone will put as much financial support towards gynecological problems as they do heart problems. Just think, we could have uterus transplants, ovary replacements...oh pardon me, I got off the subject.

Don't waste a moment of your energy doubting yourself that you have not suffered enough. We are lucky to live in America and have this opportunity for a second chance... take it and don't look back.

Maralyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 07:33 PM
After reading others-my symptoms seem minor?

Hi Ingrid,

I just wanted to thank you (and all those who responded) for having the courage to say what I've been thinking all along for weeks and weeks now. I kept thinking there's NO WAY a hysterectomy was justified when they only found a 2 CM fibroid... never mind the fact that I'm in constant pain most every day of the month. All the hyster-sisters are an AMAZING group of people who truly understand the meaning of love and friendship.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Blessed be,
Karen
(yes, I am. *wink*) :dragon:
Unread 04-19-2002, 07:58 PM
You're a Trooper!

Hi Ingrid...you've been thru WAY more than me. I was symptom free and didn't even know I had fibroids until in a routine physical for a passport, the Dr felt something. I had the surgery because my uterus was like a 15 wk pregancy. But no symptoms. I'm so glad I had the hyst, because if I would have waited, it would have been even bigger (they discovered it was MUCH bigger when they got in there...and I'm sure eventually I would have had symptoms. We're all so different, but we end up in the same surgery for whatever reason, and we're all so much better off for doing it. God bless...
Unread 04-20-2002, 07:09 AM

Hi Ingrid, I too was pretty much symptom free. I am 45 and at age 25 was diagonesd with one fibroid. I had suffered a miscarriage and the fibroid was discovered. i went on to finally conceive and have one healthy child ( now age 17). But for me, the last 20 years living with my one fibroid was constantly on my mind. 10 years of trying to conceive..going to annual ob/gyn appts and then off to the hospital for a ultrasound to check on the growth of the fibroid. When I hit 38-39..low and behold my one fibroid turned into many. The last couple of years of perimenopause and estrogen surges my fibroids got bigger and bigger. But still, I decided to hold out until menopause as I was told they would shrink. But this last year the weight of my increasing uterus was just driving me crazy. Every morning when I woke up I could feel the fibroids through my abdomen..and the bladder and bowel pressure was very uncomfortable. I never did experience the horrible bleeding/flooding either. I was also contending with the asthethics of a huge belly, walking around with my pants unzipped and finally the real clincher was painful intercourse. Okay..enough!
The point I think I am trying to make, is you have to make the decision based on your decrease of quality of life. I never had painful periods or heavy bleeding..just one big whopping uterus that was interfering with my quality of life.
I am now 6 weeks post op and so THRILLED!!! I have more energy if you can believe that and feel so much lighter. And no more periods to contend with. Yahhoooooo!!!!!
I think I felt I had to be in justifiable PHYSICAL PAIN to have this operation..but pain comes in many ways. Emotional, physical, mental. I am very happy with my decision and truely wished I would have done it 5 years ago.
Take care and I wish you good luck with your surgery !!!
Unread 04-20-2002, 08:03 AM

Hi Ingrid,

Just wanted to pop in here and give you a along with all the other ladies on this thread.

Sometimes we do have guilt for feeling better than others. That's part of being human! I think that one of the reasons one of my friends doesn't talk to me is because I had a hyster. Does that sound crazy or what? She's in the same exact pain as I but won't go to the doctor to have it looked at as she knows what will happen. I have not heard from her in over 2 weeks and I haven't seen her since before the surgery.

I think that your physical problems you have are pretty bad up there, girlie, won't you be glad when you are relieved of them? I know I was! The waiting is the hardest part, then everything is better...trust me on this!

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register