Feeling toxic with menses | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling toxic with menses Feeling toxic with menses

Unread 04-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Feeling toxic with menses

Does anyone feel toxic with their cycle? I always think I am experiencing toxic shock or something for the first day. I guess this is another good reason to have the surgery.
Thanks again,
Ingrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 10:26 PM
like what

Hi Ingrid,

What are your symptoms? Besides bone ache, cramps, and feeling like an army of men are marching on the pelvic floor, I guess I don't have the toxic illness. Do you mean fever, vomiting?

Tell us more...
Maralyn
Unread 04-19-2002, 06:37 AM
toxic is like.....

Hi Maralyn,

It feels like my whole body is struggling with some icky poisen that my liver can't handle. I get really bogged down with an throw-uppy weird head-ache. And my joints sometimes hurt too. But it feels different from the flu. And everything smells funny. Weird huh?!

Thanks,
Ingrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 08:24 AM

Ingrid,

I couldn't tell from your post how old you are or why you're having surgery, but have you told your doctor about these symptoms? Headache is very commom because of vascular dilation...the blood is really pumping. Sense of smell and the tummy have always been connected. When ever I smell jet fuel I instantly get a head ache, and I want to
Have you always felt this way each month since the beginning? Maybe someone else here will recognize themselves and jump in with their story. Hope you find the answers soon.

My best to you,

Maralyn
Unread 04-19-2002, 02:22 PM

Ingrid, I thnk I know what you mean. When I first started feeling this way close to my period, I though it was a coincidence that I would also get the flu at the same time. After a while, I began to realize it was always happening the same time every month. Now it's gotten worse and I have not doubt it's all related. I also feel nauseated, joint pains, generally sick and I can't explain why. My PCP gave me anti anxiety medication for the mood swings until my surgery and then we'll see if my hormones level off afterwards. Last night, I finally felt better after three weeks and I told my husband, "I'm back". Because right aftr I ovulate, I feel like someone else has taken over my body and I come back for about two weeks a month after I finally get my period. What a way to live.
Unread 04-19-2002, 02:33 PM

Ingrid,
I think toxic is a good way to describe that feeling, even though I never thought of that before. I didn't get the headaches, but I had terrible back aches, leg pain, achy joints, misery in general. Also, since I had severe endo, I had this pattern of constipation problems for the week prior to my period, then with the onset of my period it would change to something more like diarrhea. Uck, I don't miss those days. While having my period, I would get so weak that I used to wonder if I'd just collapse one day at work and they'd have to carry me out on a stretcher.

So sorry you're going through this. It is not fun. Hang in there for a little while longer!

Beth
Unread 04-20-2002, 04:07 PM
Hi Ingrid

Hi Ingrid!! Yes, can totally relate to the toxic period.!!!!
I wonder if I've been allergic to my periods all these years!
Hope you feel much better after your surgery,
Lady in waiting
Sandy
(LAVH >anterior repair for prolapse)
Unread 04-21-2002, 11:13 AM
Same Here

Hi Ingrid and everyone else

Exactly the same here - all the aches and pains including sore throat and often even losing my voice. It's been that way from the very first time - when I was 12! I'll never forget it, I was at summer camp and thought I was dying - I've been to so many Drs and have been treated with so many things from herbals to antibiotics. I'm just glad that I'm finally getting on with the final solution.

to you - You'll be in my thoughts and prayers
Unread 04-21-2002, 12:52 PM

Although "toxic" has never run through my mind, it sure is a fitting word! I never really had the headaches, but I do experience the body aches, and I also have to throw up at the oddest times.

And I also feel really icky and "unclean" all over. During those times of the month, I have been known to have 2 or 3 showers a day. I will first take a hot bath to deal with the pain. But then after I am out, I am so hot and sweaty from the bath that I need a shower. I then need at least one more shower through out the day because I feel so icky.

I understand how you feel and wish you the best of luck in eradicating these awful symptoms.

Chin up!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register