Questions about Recovery Room and about pillows | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about Recovery Room and about pillows Questions about Recovery Room and about pillows

Unread 04-19-2002, 03:51 AM
Questions about Recovery Room and about pillows

Was just wondering...and I know this sounds dumb...but just what IS a body pillow? Is it just a huge bed pillow or what? How does it make you feel better? Support? (I always take my bed pillow from home on vacations so I know I'm taking that---I know, I know. It's a castle, not a resort, though!!)

Also, I was wondering what other ladies experiences were in the recovery room? I just have this fear/apprehension/whatever that I will have a need and won't be able to communicate it with anyone. Have I read in some posts that family member or at least husbands were allowed in recovery? Just wanted to know what others experiences were. I know hospitals are different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 04:00 AM

A body pillow is a long pillow. It's used for support of the abdomen when you are laying on your side. I used a regular bed pillow when I wanted to lay on my side, and later when I started laying on my stomach.

I went into the OR at 2PM, the next thing I remember it was 6:30 and I was in my room, DH was there. I don't remember anything about the recovery room. I think I may have opened my eyes for half a second. I had a general, it may be different with an epi.
Unread 04-19-2002, 04:03 AM

Jeannie -- A bed pillow is a long narrow pillow about the size of a small person. It's a good one for cuddling (like a significant other) when there's no one there. You may not want to take a body pillow to the castle -- too big.

My dh was not allowed in recovery. I didn't miss him. I was out of it most of the time. I just remember whispering for water and them telling me to breathe deeply. Different hospitals/drs. may have different policies.

Good luck on the 29th. See you on the other side!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 04:04 AM

I was in surgery for 3 hours and in recovery for 3 hours. I remember someone calling my name over and over again. I must have opened my eyes, as then, I got moved to my room. My hubby wasn't allowed in recovery, we had asked that before hand.

I didn't use a body pillow, I had just regular pillows stacked and lined up on my back so I could sleep on my side.

Sara
Unread 04-19-2002, 04:56 AM

Generally, no visitors are allowed in recovery. But as the other ladies said, you probably will barely remember being in there if at all.

I brought my pillow from home as the hospital pillows are thin, not comfortable, and don't provide any real support.
Unread 04-19-2002, 05:17 AM

Hi, a body pillow is long and narrow. I had a hard time finding one pre - op. I did find one at LINENS AND THINGS. I think it was about $19.95. I used it at home for the first week or two. Very helpful if you are a side sleeper. In the hospital, I had 2-3 pillows that were provided. The nurses put one next to my body so if I wanted to lay on my side, it provided support for my belly. It worked well.
I had a Spinal/Epidural and I was alert and awake in recovery. I found that the nurses were hovering over me the entire 2 hours I was in recovery. Monitoring my pain, checking my IV, etc. The anestheologist kept coming in also and checking on me. I was having a lot of itching due to the epidural and the shakes. He gave me demorol and some kind of anti itch medication in my IV. I remember his saying to me and the nurses that the demorol would stop the shakes..and within about 15 minutes..I did stop shaking. I remember being wheeled up to my room and my family and boyfriend were in the room waiting for me.
Unread 04-19-2002, 05:20 AM

No, they don't let you into recovery, there are other patients in there also just getting out of surgery. And they have to watch you constantly - moniter your blood pressure, vitals etc. And once you do wake up, off to your room you go!

Funny story, when I had a biopsy on my breast for a tumor (benign) they put me into recovery, well I woke up right away, was wide awake, looked to my right and there was an elderly man laying there and his lower half was totally exposed. I started laughing, and the nurses came over to me quickly and covered him up and told me I wasn't suppose to be awake yet. I was wide awake!

So beware of surroundings in the recovery room. LOL

archide
Unread 04-19-2002, 05:26 AM

Recovery room was strange! I woke up with a feling of pressure on my bowels, like I had to GO. As soon as I opened my eyes they said "she's awake, lets go", and they took me to my room. They put folded warm blankets on my tummy and the bowel thing went away, thank goodness, and I wanted water so they gave me a few ice chips. They say ice aids in the gas thing if you have too many, but nobody told me that and my dh stood and fed me all I wanted. Karlene
Unread 04-19-2002, 05:54 AM

I did wake up a couple of times in the recovery room; had an oxygen mask on; I had a friend who is a nurse at the hospital talking to me, then I fell back to sleep; then the doctor came in and told me she had spoken to my family and everything was fine. Next thing I remember is waking up in my room.
Unread 04-19-2002, 06:28 AM
Body Pillow

My mom bought me a body pillow last year and I LOVE it!!! I'm a side sleeper, and somehow manage to hang on to it when I turn over to my other side. It is so nice and comfortable. Great support for your arms, legs, and stomach.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register