New here with a date and a question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here with a date and a question New here with a date and a question

Unread 04-19-2002, 10:55 AM
New here with a date and a question

HI all. I've been lurking here for about a month. My surgery date is June 20th so I have time to get ready (and think a lot , unfortunately). Original date was in April but my doctor convinced me that it would easier to not have to get my kids up and out every morning for the bus, so now they'll be on summer vacation while I recuperate.
I'll be having a complete vaginal hyst due to uterine prolapse.Keeping my ovaries. I know everyone is different, but do you think I'll be okay enough after 2 weeks to take my DD to swimming lessons every day for an hour? I need to sign her up now and don't know what to do.
I have lots of other questions for you all, but for some reason I feel the need to decide this! Thanks to all of you. The info I've learned so far from you is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:18 AM
Hi Beache

Welcome to Hystersisters. I am glad you have joined us and decided to post.
It sounds like you have learned lesson #1. "We are all different"
I am not so sure I would agree with your doctor that it will be easier for you having the surgery when the kids are home for summer vacation. I wonder if he has tried it. But I do hope your kids will be able to be a help to you as well.
In terms of driving, you need to be no longer having pain, strong enough to hit the brake peddle firmly (in case of emergency) and cleared by your doctor to drive.
I was able to do short drives at two weeks.
Is it possible you could arrange to car pool with other mom's whose kids are in the same swimming class. Maybe they could take the first week and you could take the second week which would be 3 weeks post for you?
And I am sure you know this but let me say it just in case. No pool for you until the doctor clears you.
Good luck.

Shelley
Unread 04-19-2002, 01:22 PM
welcome!

Hi, Beache! Welcome to HysterSisters! A lot of us started out just lurking and reading! I also decided to have my hyst during summer vacation when I wouldn't have to arrange transportation for my kids. They are older (10, 14, 17) so they could pretty much take care of themselves while I was recovering, and they could stay by themselves while I was in surgery. If your kids are young, you might want to have someone there that first week to help with them. I started driving 2 weeks post op, but I don't know if I would have felt like sitting poolside for an hour watchingkids swim. It really does put pressure on your healing tissues to be sitting upright for that length of time. Shelley has a good suggestion about finding another mom to carpool with so maybe you could do it after 3 weeks. You might also see if you could schedule lessons for later in July or August. Keep asking the questions you come up with! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 02:03 PM

Hi Beache,
I am about 31/2 weeks post op from a TVH and I agree with the others about sitting poolside. I feel like I have recovered somewhat quickly - I went back to work part time at 2 weeks and have worked full time this week. If you decide to try it be sure and bring a pillow to sit on. I still get tired and sore from sitting and I sit in a padded chair. Good luck on your surgery!
Mel
Unread 04-19-2002, 02:41 PM

(((Hi Beache)))

Welcome to Hystersisters!!

I had a TVH but also had repairs for rectal and bladder prolapses. At two weeks I was cleared to drive, but I really didn't feel up to it, so didn't. I drove for the first time at 3 1/2 weeks. Are you having general anesthesia? I have read here that in some states, if you are in an accident and have recently had surgery, your insurance company can refuse to pay, because the effects of general anesthesia are not gone from your system for up to six months.

I think Shelley's suggestion is great, and maybe you could even arrange it so that you don't do any of the driving this time, and repay the other moms later on by having their kids for an overnight or something special.

(((Hi Mel)))

If it's at all possible, please try to rest as much as you can when you get home from work. I didn't go back until 5 1/2 weeks after my hyst, and I was really worn out every evening. Can you put your feet up on something during the day (or lie down some?) to ease the pressure when you are sitting? Even though we don't have external stitches with a TVH, we have lots of internal stitches which need time to heal, and sitting is considered an activity. Please be careful - you have only got one chance to heal properly.

's

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register