getting nervous | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

getting nervous getting nervous

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:09 AM
getting nervous

Hi everybody! Well my surgery is a little more than 2 weeks away and I am getting very nervous! May 3rd is the big day and my bday is May 5th, that is a bummer. I am starting to pack already. My son is going to go to my moms for a couple of weeks so I am already packing his clothes too. My sister asked me why I was packing so soon. I guess its just my nerves. For the past week I've been having dreams about the procedure. Last nights dream went good but some of the others haven't been so good. I guess everyone gets scared but I am really scared. I am always afraid of not waking up or something. I don't know maybe I am crazy. I've never had a major surgery, just a couple of minor ones where I was out of the hospital that same day. Everybody keeps telling me that I am going to be in more pain than I can imagine. Sorry to keep babbling on but I guess that is what I do when I am nervous. Any suggestions or comments?

Krissy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:22 AM
getting nervous

No, Krissy, you're NOT crazy!

Everything that you're feeling is perfectly normal! You're about to have a really big surgery and being nervous... really nervous... is to be expected!

As for packing and getting things ready early, that's not bad - it's good! Whatever you can do to help make yourself feel prepared is a good thing! Just try to make time to try to relax, okay?

From what I've read in other Hyster Sisters' posts, the fear of not waking up is a common one... but I can't say I've ever heard of a case where someone didn't wake up this kind of surgery.

As for everyone telling you you're going to be in more pain than you can imagine, are they speaking from experience? Have any of them had a hysterectomy? Please remember that things like pain vary from person to person, but that's what pain medication is for. If you go to the post-op area and do some reading, you will see many, many women who "survived" and who are doing quite well now.

You shouldn't feel the need to apologize for "babbling", either; your Hyster Sisters are your friends, and we're all here to listen!

s to you!!
Unread 04-19-2002, 12:02 PM
getting nervous

s Krissy!

I know that everyone handles things differently, but I packed 6 days before I was admitted! I think I just wanted to get it done and overwith, one less thing to do!

I had tons of people tell me that I was going to be in horrible pain, etc. But, amazing how they all clammed up when I asked them if they had hysters! I would take all their advice with a grain of salt. Everyone is different. Just tell them thank you for the advice, but everyone is different and change the subject. Only YOU know how much pain you can handle, etc.

Please look around the site and gather information. Have you visited the pull-down menus yet? You can find them on the main page. Just click on the 3 princesses on this page, the upper left corner and you will be on the main page.

Email me if you have more concerns or questions, it's always on!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 12:06 PM
Getting Nervous

I know exactly what you mean. I have never had major surgery before either. I have a question: Why do I feel that having my womb removed is going to kill me? It's a fear of the unknown?!
I wonder if it has something to do with losing a part of me that is so connected to being a woman? Now intellectually, my womb needs to come out, and is causing me great pain. But emotionally I'm a little upset about it. So is this separation anxiety? Separation from my womb I mean. Already feeling like I'm doing some kind of grieving. All my life I wished for a happy normal type period and never experienced one. Also wished for a menopause with my womb intact. So my dreams are about to change. And it's time to build new ones. Can anyone relate to this post?????
Sandy
(LAVH>anterior repair for severe prolapse)
Hope this post does not offend anyone due to personal content
Unread 04-19-2002, 12:10 PM
Hi Krissy

Ditto to what everyone said!
And ditto on the too.
Surgical procedures and pain medications have come along way. Sometimes people make comments based on what their grandmothers experienced 40 years ago without thinking.
The one thing I read here when I was pre-op was to stay ahead of the pain. In other words take your pain meds as often as you can and when you are supposed to. Don't wait for the pain to get bad because then it can be harder to get under control.
I remembered that in the hospital and used my PCP (the morphine pump) on a regular basis. I had NO pain at all. Soreness when I got up yes, but let me repeat I had NO pain. Yes we are all different. But just because some women have had bad pain doesn't mean you will too.
Good luck to you.
Unread 04-19-2002, 12:16 PM
Packing Early

Hi Krissy,

Believe it or not, my surgery is over 4 weeks away, and I'm already packing too. I think it might be our way of taking a measure of control over a scary event in which we aren't going to have any control. Neatly packed up, everything ready.

My oldest son (22) last night told me I was going to be in some serious pain since I've never had major surgery. What does he know. He's never had surgery before either. And He doesn't know just how tough I am. (I gave birth to his sister at home, then went to the grocery store and to visit some friends that evening.)

Just hang in there. We'll make it through. Repeat after me: "The waiting is the worst part." (That's become my motto in life for the next month.)

Lisa
Unread 04-19-2002, 01:07 PM
Nerve control

My surgery is less than three days away, and I can't deny that I'm a bit nervous, too. However, I'm doing some things that are helping me cope - they might work for you too.

First, I'm a compulsive planner. So, I've made a list of things I want to do before my surgery (top priority first - I know I won't get all of them done), and am keeping busy working my way through them. Since I live alone, I need to do things like clean the house (so the cat sitter won't be grossed out), mow the grass one last time before I have to pay someone, grocery shop for provisions for my homebound period, and buy some loose, comfy clothes and good books to read and videos to watch. Doing these things helps keep my mind off Monday's events.

Second, I'm spending some time with good friends this weekend. I'm going out to dinner with friends on Saturday night, and then on Sunday I'm singing in church, then attending a baby shower for a coworker. These will help distract me, too.

Third, I keep reminding myself how much better I'll feel when this is all over. NO MORE PERIODS, no more being trapped in the bathroom for hours on end, no more wondering if I dare go on a long trip for fear of an embarassing event.

Fourth, even the recovery period will have its plus side - no commuting to the city, I can get more sleep (hopefully, if I don't have night sweats!), I can read some good books and watch some videos, which I usually never have time to do.

And lastly, I'm putting my faith in God. No matter what happens, I know He will take care of me.

I hope this helps. You are all in my prayers.
Unread 04-19-2002, 01:41 PM
Thanks Carrolle

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions for staying busy. I too have a list, which is growing by leaps and bounds. (I live alone too, so can relate to having to get everything ready ahead of time. If I don't do it, it won't get done!)

The best advice that you mentioned is putting our faith in God. Our father knows what we need, and He'll be right there with us through it all.

Best wishes for your trip to the castle. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Lisa
Unread 04-19-2002, 02:21 PM
getting nervous

(((Krissy)))

Please don't feel that you are babbling - you are worried and it's great that you posted so that others can reassure you that your fears are normal, and let you know that the pain can be managed. In my case, I had more discomfort from the repairs that were done to my rectum and bladder than from the hyst. I was on a morphine pump in the hospital and just pushed the button whenever I needed to, and then had a prescription for painkillers that I took at home.

Please be sure to ask your doctor what kind of pain management he plans to order for you. If you let him know that you are worried, I'm sure he will be able to reassure you.

(((Lisa)))

You are absolutely right!! The waiting IS the hardest part, but it will be over before you know it. By the way, are you having your surgery in Lakeland? My DIL works at a hospital in Lakeland.

's

Karen
Unread 04-19-2002, 02:57 PM
getting nervous

Hi Karen,

Yes, I'll be having my surgery at LRMC. Does your daughter work there? It's a good hospital (except for the ER - I had a horrible evening there four weeks ago.)

Seems like a lot of people on this site are from this area. Must be something in the water here.

Lisa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register