New and Scared | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and Scared New and Scared

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:27 AM
New and Scared

Hello everyone, I new I will be having my hysterectomy on May 17, there I said it. I'm having a really hard time. My question is what would life be like after. The reason for my surgery is because I have fibroids that cause heavy bleeding and sometimes pain during intercourse. Will my husband notice anything different about me, I having my uterus removed. I have had two c-sections along with a tubal. Please help Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:56 AM
New and Scared

s!! Hi and welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I know you are scared and concerned about everything right now. I was too!

I had the same symptoms you have and even though everyone is different, I can tell you that I am so glad I had a hyster!

I was bleeding heavily 3 weeks out of the month, painful sex, when I wasn't bleeding. And having sex, would just bring on more bleeding.

My hubby hasn't noticed any change in me that way...I have though, I'm not in pain! I still check to see if I'm bleeding though, some habits are hard to break!

Please email me anytime!

Sara
Unread 04-19-2002, 12:00 PM
Hello Ladye

We are glad you have found Hystersisters and have decided to post. Welcome.

It is very normal to be scared and wonder what everything will be like after surgery. We all did too. Afterall this is a first time experience for us and major surgery.

Well the best advice I can give you is to do alot of reading here. Please check out the pull down menu's on the Home page. Here is the link.
http://www.hystersisters.com/
There is alot of information on what to expect both pre and post surgery and what your family can expect.

I think what you will find is that life is much better for most of us. I will be 8 weeks post op tomorrow. I feel wonderful and better than I did before my surgery. It is terrific to be free from flooding, clotting, discomfort, anemia, fatigue etc. It was absolutely worth it.

I am single, but from what I have read the husbands cannot tell the difference afterwards. For many women and couples their sex life is greatly improved as they can now enjoy intercourse without pain.

Keep reading and posting. We are here for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 12:16 PM
New and Scared

Although sex is different in a way that I'd find it hard to define, it isn't any better or any worse...just different. Not only will you not have pain or bleeding once you are recovered, but you don't have to worry about cramps, or PMS. I couldn't be happier that I've had this done. I'm 6 months post-op and feel great!
Unread 04-19-2002, 12:49 PM
Hi, Ladye!

Welcome! I was new here about a month ago! This is a great website - please do a lot of reading here. The home page has lots of info. There's even a live chat you're welcome to join. Ask all the questions you want - the ladies here are so helpful! We're not doctors - so make sure you ask your doctor questions, too - but we have been through this surgery and can offer support, care, hugs and prayers to you. Six weeks ago it would have never crossed my mind that within those six weeks I would have a D&C and a hysterectomy - but that's what happened. I am now *very happy* to be exactly 3 weeks post-op!!! I am not bleeding anymore - thank God!!

Trust me - if I could do it, *so can you*!! You'll do great!

Make sure you *rest a lot, drink a lot and walk some* during your recovery and *do nothing* so you can heal completely.

Concentrate on taking care of you - now and during your recovery - you will feel *so much better* once you've had the surgery. I feel such relief now!!! Words cannot express how I feel.

Hugs and prayers to you - please make good use of this website -
we'll do whatever we can to help you and encourage you.

Love, Sue
Unread 04-19-2002, 05:18 PM
Hello Ladye, I am new too

My name is karen (kaymac here) and I am new too. My surg is for 4/30/02. I am having TAH/BSO. I am on iron & progesterone till then. Having problems with pain, pressure and aching. I had an ER run yesterday after visiting the doc to set up my appt. First that morning I started bleeding profusely and loosing alot with clots like I was hemmoraging and not sure it would stop. My parents helped me clean up and dress and it scared me to death!! The doc acted as if it wasn't a big deal.

Later after coming home, I got sick and dizzy and started to pass out. Got help, dh came home and rushed me to ER. They said my blood was normal, after bleeding so much that morning and for 2 months nonstop?? I don't get that. Then why did he ask me to take iron??

Anyway, I have tons of questions with the surg coming close, and feeling so bad. I can't get out or walk without fear of the bottom dropping out again, or because it hurts my back and pelvic so bad.

I too have concerns about the sex too. My dh is worried but won't really talk about it or ask questions. He is so worried for me, and I know he fears how I will and act afterward too.

Stay in touch.

kaymac
Unread 04-19-2002, 05:34 PM
New and Scared

Hey! Hi from central Florida. I'm new here too, AND I'm also scheduled for May 17. I'm 39 FWIW. I'm a little worried too, more about afterwards activities than anything else.. Sex doesn't worry me, I enjoy it no matter how. Probably TMI Too Much Info but oh well. grin. Hope no one's offended. I am the family taxi driver because I am the only one who can drive a stick shift. I think my hubby is more worried than I am about the whole surgery thing. Mine is happening because of massive fibroids, etc etc. It will have to be abdominal because my dr said the uterus has gotten too big for her to feel comfortable doing a vaginal removal :-( (about 15 weeks, she said.) Sigh. Anyway, welcome and you've found a great place here from what I've seen of it.
Unread 04-19-2002, 05:59 PM
New and Scared

Ladye welcome to the hyster sister community. Will you feel different? You bet---BETTER. Hopefully no pain once you are healed. I have no periods, no cramps, no pain, no golf ball sized clots and NO REGRETS. The QUALITY of life is EXCELLEnt! Will your DH notice? Yep. Probably just moans and sighs from freedom to enjoy the deed more than moans and groans from pain.

Read and prepare yourself. It's been said here many a time: The Waiting is the hardest part. Bright side. You've got a month to prepare. Do you have the book that Kathy wrote yet?

Keep posting
Unread 04-19-2002, 06:30 PM
New and Scared

Hi
My surgery is May 15th! Like you I was new and scared.
Let me tell you, this is the best place to be! By coming here and posting and going in the chat room (A MUST), I am so informed about my upcoming surgery.
Yes I am still some what scared --but to know that all these ladies are going through the same thing has eased my mind greatly!
Just ask anything--it will be answered or vent if you have to--no one minds!
Good luck and here is a to you!
Unread 04-23-2002, 08:12 AM
New and Scared

Thank you all for replying. This site has truly been a blessing to me. Just knowing that I'm not alone helps alot. I will be taking one day a time trying to understand life after a TAH. Please continue to pray for my strength. So many times I have heard so many myth about a women having a hysterectomy that's why I glad that I found this site.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register