How Soon | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-19-2002, 11:30 AM
How Soon

How soon after you and your dr decided the thing to do was a hyst did you get a date for the operation? I have an appt with the dr on May 8 to make some major decisions, but I've psyched myself to have this operation anyway since I'm well into menopause and don't need these parts.

This may sound extremely silly, but . . .

I've rented a house on the ocean for a family vacation on June 15 and want to be able to have the operation well over and be on my way for recuperating by then. See I told you it sounded silly. Even if I'm only in my third week of recuperating that would be fine. I'm just going to rest there anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:46 AM
How Soon

When the scheduling nurse asked me when I wanted to have the surgery, I said, "Yesterday." We ended up scheduling it for 3 weeks from then. It varies pretty widely, though, depending on how busy your doc is.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 04-19-2002, 11:48 AM
Hi Bonnie

It seems that with our surgery dates along with everything else "we are all different." I think there are many factors that go into scheduling including your surgeon's and hospital's availability.
I have seen everything from 2 weeks to 3 months out for surgery. But, let your doctor know your preferences and request a "first available' date if you can. I did so and ended up with a Saturday date but it was 3 weeks sooner than if I had waited for a weekday.
If you and your doctor are both sure you will have the hysterectomy perhaps you can request that they go ahead and schedule it prior to your May 8 appointment. If it is not scheduled until May 8 it may fall very close to your vacation date. If anything changes you can always cancel or postpone the surgery date.
The beach house for your recovery period sounds lovely.
Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:50 AM
How Soon

It was 7 days for me. I had been in extreme pain and bleeding heavily for 3 months. I couldn't sit to drive my kid to school each morning. So, they told me one week.

I would be prepared for being tired, Bonnie. The vacation sounds like you would be able to rest though. Let others wait on you, hand and foot, okay? If you are having just a consult on the 8th, and the 15th is only 5 weeks later, I would definitely tell the doctor your plans. He could tell you when the surgery would be of course, but he will (or should) remind you that you will still be recovering. Do you have to travel very far to get to the house you rented? I was uncomfy in the car for the first 2 weeks. Seatbelts are not a good friend when you have a TAH! Ouchies.

Sara
Unread 04-19-2002, 11:51 AM
SOON

Hello, Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful vacation especially when you get this hysterectomy done. When I was first told my gyn wanted to do it asap but I was just so scared of going under. Anyway to mak e a long story short I put off having my surgery for a year but as soon as I agreed I was in surgery within 2 weeks. I hope this helps to give you some kind of idea of the time frame. Best Wishes!
Unread 04-19-2002, 12:11 PM
How Soon

Hi Bonnie!

Welcome to the site.

My surgery is schedule for May 17. I scheduled that day at the end of March. My doc could have done it earlier, but I planned it around birthdays, summer, etc. At long as it is not an emergency and you are okay, then there should be no problem in waiting until you are ready.

I'm a Maryland too. Southern-Maryland - Charles County. Where are you!

Bye.

D.
Unread 04-19-2002, 12:12 PM
How Soon

Scheduling ahead of time sounds like a great idea, but I don't know whether that is very practical. First of all, the doctor needs to schedule it and I'd be surprised if he/she would do it even before they see you. Second, they don't know what other tests you might need.

My surgery would have been scheduled within a week (they suspected ovarian cancer), but my doctor wanted to do more tests before doing the surgery so that she knew what to expect when she got in there. It was the other tests that took some time to schedule (blood tests, x-rays, IVP, mammogram, CAT scan, MRI). Even with a "rush" order, I had to wait a week for one of the tests and before it was all said and done, my surgery was scheduled for 2 weeks after my initial appointment (and one of my diagnostic tests was just 2 days before!)

But call you doctor's office and talk to your doctor's nurse. The nurse usually schedules all of that anyway and would know the best about what is possible.
Unread 04-19-2002, 12:59 PM
How Soon

Hi, Bonniez!! Welcome! This is a great site and the ladies are wonderful! Lots of info, too. My gyn. scheduled me for a week and a half - I'd been bleeding for weeks and even a D&C didn't stop it for more than two days.

You'll do great! The beach house sounds wonderful! I love the beach! Just *don't overdo* - I speak from experience!

Keep in touch with us all -

Love, Sue
Unread 04-19-2002, 01:02 PM
How Soon

Hi

I saw my DR at the end of November. I had to have another untrasound and I was scheduled to see her just before Christmas. At the November she told me to find a "convenient" 6 week period of time so at the December apt it could be scheduled. Around the first of February was the time I picked, then the actual date depended on the schedule at the hospital. It wasn't an emergency type situation or it would have been sooner.
Unread 04-19-2002, 04:35 PM
Eight long weeks of waiting

When my doctor told me I would have to have the surgery, I asked how soon. He said it was not an emergency, but he didn't want me to wait any more than six weeks.

We had an anniversary get-away planned for two weeks later. When I finally got the date, it was eight weeks after my dr. appt. I mentioned to the scheduling clerk that the doc told me not to wait more than six weeks, but the operating room schedule wouldn't allow for anything sooner.

She did ask if I was in great pain, as they could probably squeeze in an emergency. I didn't think that was necessary, as I was 'inbetween periods' and it's hard to remember how awful it is.

Five more weeks and it seems like the days are dragging.

Thank God for hystersisters.

Nancy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register