Finally finding answers and having surgery!!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Finally finding answers and having surgery!!!! Finally finding answers and having surgery!!!!

Unread 04-19-2002, 12:13 PM
Finally finding answers and having surgery!!!!

I am a 38 year old with two children 12 and 13. I have been to 10 doctors over the course of 15 years to find out what was wrong with me. I was finally told that I have Poly cystic ovary disease and endometriosis. I also have heavy bleeding and pass lots of clots between periods. My sex life is non-exsistant due to these problems. I was given birth control pills numbers of times and could not take them. Doctors don't like being told no!

They have finally agreed to take my uterus and my right ovary. I'm releaved but now a little scared. I know I could not take hormones before the surgery. What if I need them after? Will I be able to tolerate them?

I have also been diagnosed with Lupus. So I'm finally going to start feeling better I hope. I'm just looking for some moral support. The web site is great. I'll keep you posted as things get closer. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 12:34 PM
Hi Lisa

Welcome to Hystersisters.

Have you discussed HRT with your doctor.? He is of course the best place to start in terms of what he thinks you will need and when.

There are a number of factors which would determine if you need HRT or when you might be able to take it.

If the doctor is leaving your one healthy ovary, I hope it will produce the hormones you will need for a lot of years to come.

If you need hormones after the surgery the doctor may want to wait to make sure all of the endo is gone. In which case you can find some answers on what to do on the No Hormone Desert Oasis.
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...=34&daysprune=
If and when you do need HRT the Hormone Jungle is great place to get information and support. Here is that link:
http://www.hormonejungle.com/

We are here for you.

Unread 04-19-2002, 01:37 PM
welcome!

Welcome to HysterSisters, Lisa! You can also search for past threads on PCOS and endometriosis by going to the top of the page to the "search" button and typing in the subject you are interested in. There have been lots of women here with those diagnoses. Feel free to ask any questions you think of. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 03:12 PM

Hi Lisa,
I only have one ovary... everything else is gone! No HRT for me. (I am almost 44).. I have felt fine and forsee no problems. My doc tells me that the one ovary will produce all the estrogen I need. So far so good! I am approaching my one year anniversary and boy has my life changed for the better!! I feel 100% better, have more energy and dont miss having a period or any of the other bad stuff that goes along with it. I am in a much better mood too.
Hope all goes well for you. Let us know if you have any questions about your upcoming surgery. I wish you all the best!
Unread 04-22-2002, 06:56 AM
Thank You

Thank you all so much for your welcoming comments. I'll take all the advise I can get. I wish my surgery was now instead of A month and a half away.

Lisa
Unread 04-23-2002, 08:50 AM

Hi Lisa!
I have PCOS, too. I'm 47 and was finally diagnosed last summer (after 10 years of searching for answers). There's a book out that has answered so many of my questions in regards to PCOS and HRT. It's "Screaming to be Heard: Hormone Connections Women Suspect...and Doctors Still Ignore, " by Elizabeth Lee Vliet, M.D. This book helped me so much, in fact, that I became a patient of hers, even though I live several states away!
I'm having surgery on May 8--uterus and both ovaries. I know that this isn't a "cure" for PCOS, but I have other significant reasons to have the surgery. I've been in perimenopause for almost 3 years now and am actually looking forward to menopause because of all the problems I've had. And, I feel comfortable knowing now what my HRT options will be starting immediately after surgery.
You didn't mention why one ovary is being left. In her book, Dr. Vliet cites studies that you may want to read before your surgery--they're about how quickly ovarian function declines after a hysterectomy. It's on page 437. I have no idea whether any of this will apply to your particular situation, but it's something interesting to read anyway!
At least you have some time to consider your options. I'll be thinking of you!

Carol
Unread 04-23-2002, 10:13 AM

Carol,

Thanks for everything. I have to get the book. I'm leaving the right ovary thinking that I won't need hormaones right away.

I still have time to think about. Keep me posted how your doing, its nice to know there are other people out there.

Lisa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register