Soon to be a princess! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Soon to be a princess! Soon to be a princess!

Unread 04-19-2002, 01:43 PM
Soon to be a princess!

I'm getting close to my surgery date on Monday, and believe me, it won't come soon enough! After seemingly endless deliberations, I finally decided at my pre-op appointment yesterday to have a SAH. I explored every other option, and finally came to the conclusion that this was the best for me, considering my lifestyle, age, and concerns about pelvic organ support and hormonal function.

I've been bleeding ever since I had breakthrough on March 17th, including some VERY heavy episodes with large clots lasting 3-5 hours when I couldn't even leave the bathroom. I'm tired of having continual abdominal pain, taking continuous BCP's, taking so much iron, and being afraid to go anywhere. I'm READY!

My pre-op appointment went very well. We went over the results of my MRI from the day before (6 cm "very vascular" fibroid, intramural with submucousal component, plus several other smaller intramural fibroids, uterus about "10-week" size, no endo., ovaries o.k.). After thoroughly discussing the pros and cons of everything, I decided on the SAH. I feel very lucky that my gynecologist/surgeon has been great. He has always answered my many phone messages about problems and different options. His patience is amazing! He also never tried to pressure me into anything, just provided as much information as he could.

I'm going to go for an epidural (can stay in 24 hours for pain control) and sedation during the surgery. They can add PCA if needed. He said my incision probably won't need to be very big, and he will close it with a long internal self-dissolving suture. No staples - YAY! I will have some IV antibiotics during surgery for infection prevention. I only need to go on liquids after lunch on Sunday, and will just do a Fleet enema X 2 at home the morning of. NOT looking forward to that, but it's better than that Go-Lytely stuff!

Now I just need to stay sane until Monday! Keeping busy helps me a lot, so I'm cleaning (a lot of us do that when we're stressed, don't we), getting groceries, doing yard work, digging in the dirt in my garden, and spending time with friends.

Sending all of you Ladies in Waiting calming thoughts, and visions of a happier, healthier you when all is behind you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 01:56 PM
Soon to be a princess!

Hi Liz,

It sounds as if you've thoroughly researched the options that are available to you and have chosen the procedure which most fits your needs. Your doctor sounds wonderful!!

Please don't forget to take a little time this weekend to simply get some extra rest - you will have an easier recovery if you are rested up. But, having said that, I do agree with you- when I'm stressed out, I tend to clean house, too.

We'll be thinking about you and hoping that all goes well for you Monday. Be sure to come back after you've been home a few days and let us all know how you are doing.

's

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register