You'll do great!! - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

You'll do great!! You'll do great!!

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:36 AM
You'll do great!!

Donna, one of the things I did before surgery (so I wouldn't talk myself out of it) was remind myself, over and over, that I made the decision to have the surgery for a reason. I remembered the problems that made me want it.

Sure, surgery is an expensive price to pay, but look at what it buys you long-term. And remember that before the panic set in, you believed it was worth it. So have faith in the you that made the decision. Let her guide you.

The other thing I did was say to myself, "OK, if I could snap my fingers and suddenly be 1 month in the future, would I want to be in a future where I had the hysterectomy or where I didn't?"

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:52 AM
You'll do great!!

Melissa,
That is such a great idea to hang on to... "IF I could snap my fingers and be one month from now.......... etc".

Yes IF I could do that............... there is no doubt I would choose that.
IF hysterectomy's were a blink of an eye.......... with no pain... I think many many more woman would do it.

It is only when one is highly motivated by medical issues that one has the courage to face the unknown.

Thanks for your incouragement and wisdom........... and oh yes, sanity..
xo DonnaFay
Unread 04-23-2002, 10:19 AM
You'll do great!!

Sue - Good for you!!! And you'll continue to feel better each day :-)

DonnaFay - Of COURSE you're scared - this is a scary thing to face. Can't tell you if I was as freaked out as you, but keep thinking of the reasons you are having this done - if you are in pain, or bleeding a lot - you want that DONE! Honest - the waiting was the worst, because you worry and worry over things that never will happen. If you are really feeling out of control scared, please call your doctor - s/he may be able to prescribe something to help your nerves. Don't need to apologize about being so scared - we all really understand! Sue had some great ideas in her post that will hopefully help. And I had good days and not so good ones, like you - a bit of a roller coaster!

Lilylynn - Your concerns about anesthesia are also very normal. I have just gone through 2 surgeries. My hysterectomy was done under a spinal with sedation, which I have no memories of :-), with about a 1 1/2 hour surgery. I then had a thyroidectomy 2 weeks ago - I think it was about 3 hours long - under general anesthesia. I have, in the past, had other surgery that was 6 hours long under general. Please call your hospital and ask to talk to an anesthesiologist there. That really helped me, because they told me about what to expect with each one (do you have an option for general vs spinal?) and reassured me that these are done ALL the time, and the risks are very low. Personally, I preferred the spinal, but I did fine with the general, too.

Sandy - You know, it may well be the scariest thing you have ever had to do!! And you can be brave and get through it. Being brave doesn't mean you aren't scared or worried. You can cry and get stressed out a bit, and still keep a basicly positive attitude!!

RuBe - All those worries are normal! Make sure you tell the nurses if you are in any pain. I know that where I had my surgery, they were very intent on making sure they gave you medicine BEFORE there was really any pain, and I can tell you that I had almost no pain (discomfort, yes, but not pain) through the entire thing!

To all of you - Melissa's "which future would I want" is a great thing to keep in mind - that alone may keep you going. (Good one, Melissa - by the way, I'm back to Swedish for my radioactive iodine treatment on May 28th)

Keep it in mind and hang in there!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:44 AM
YOU CAN DO IT!!

Hi DonnaFay, I just had a LSH 8 days ago and I'm older than you and everything went really well. I didn't have to use any pain meds afterwards. I also have a friend who had one a few weeks prior to mine and she's doing really well also. She is somewhat younger than me (about 7 years) and was anemic and her quality of life had declined due to anemia from lots of bleeding prior to her hyst. She's doing great! She had to use a few pain meds, but it was not really a big deal.
So here are two accounts of people who are feeling really good that they had his surgery.
I also was worried the night before I went in to the castle, and I know this sounds really "strange", but I could feel the presence of my best firend who died about 5 years ago sitting near me in my bedroom and I had such feelings of peace inside of me that I fell asleep smiling and then when I woke-up it was time for my husband to drive me to surgery.....and all went well.
Hang in there!
Paula (Cleosea)
Unread 04-23-2002, 11:14 AM
You'll do great!!

Paula,
Pretty incredible experience you had about the night before...
Congratulations on your surgery going smoothly!!!
So, no pain meds? Even right after surgery? Are you a big baby like me?

I went to doctors yesterday, he told me very very few woman need more than motrin.......... I told him to brace himself I would probably be one of them..lol

You and your friends storys are incourageing... thank you so much for sharing them with me.
xo DonnaFay
P.S. take it easy.......... rest up, I am sure I will have tons of questions to ask you.. lol
Unread 04-24-2002, 05:58 PM
I probably just lucked-out.

Hi...I probably just lucked-out not having to have any with this surgery. I had my second uterine ablation (baloon-type) on 12/21/01 and it was just a day surgery and I had to have short-acting morphine for part of the afternoon before they released me that evening, so I was VERY shocked that I could get by with nothing after this surgery, particularly since the doctor had told my husband that he'd really had to search through all of the adhesions to find everything he wanted to remove!! He had, however told me that pain med use was less with a LSH and recovery shorter, and he know that just by observing his own patients. Every time the hospital staff came in to my room after surgery they'd look at the number on the IV pain button and say in a puzzled tone, "You haven't had anything have you...."and I'd tell them no, but assured them I'd use it if I felt like I needed to. I had my husband fill my percoset script just in case I needed something at home, but I didn't. The ride home wasn't even that bad. My doctor told me when he released me the next day that people who were experiencing minimal problems usually didn't feel a lot of uncontrollable pain by the 3rd day and by the end of the first week they felt pretty OK, and by the end of the second week they were usually feeling very good. This is pretty much the way it's gone. I have read enough online about overdoing it to lay low for at least 3 weeks and probably more. Let's face it, how often do I get a break from my neverending job and household chores, and at 52 I'm older than a lot of you, so.....I'm not going to try to break any recovery records here!!! Snort....snort.
Unread 04-25-2002, 05:17 AM
You'll do great!!

Cleosea, you are one smart sister!! I had an LAVH/LSO and I felt so good at 11 days post-op - no pain then at all - that the day my husband went back to his day job (which was that very day), I shot off that couch like a rocket and started "doing." And the more I did, and the more I said, "I can do this!" the more my family let me do - that wasn't their fault - I wanted to do things because I wanted everything to be done "just so" so I did it myself rather than asking or letting them do it. You know, there might be some cups left on the table that would have made it onto the counter eventually but I wanted them moved "now" - what a ridiculous thing for me to have jeopardized my recovery for!! And that's just what happened. I still continue to do too much, even though I do ask others to do more now. And I have had bouts of exhaustion and pain and just not feeling very good to this day (tomorrow will be four weeks). I'm 47 so I'm not all that far behind you. Glad you're taking good care of yourself. Believe me, I know now how important that is.
Unread 04-25-2002, 05:43 AM
help!!

i had decidid to go for it, but reading more about removal of ovaries, and problems with sudden and severe menopause after, is putting me off!!!
Will HRT be OK, or will I regret it???? HELP
Unread 04-25-2002, 06:02 AM
You'll do great!!

Janegirl, I still have one ovary so I can't answer your questions, but there is a board called the Hormone Jungle you might want to post on, too - I know there are ladies on this site who will be happy to talk with you. Hoping you find answers to your questions from these ladies and your medical team.
Unread 04-25-2002, 12:34 PM
You'll do great!!

Thank you very much for replying, and giving me advice - much appreciated. I will go to the suggested board, and chat there. Cheers again! JANEGIRL

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register