Finally scheduled for surgery & feeling down. | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Finally scheduled for surgery & feeling down. Finally scheduled for surgery & feeling down.

Unread 04-19-2002, 08:39 PM
Finally scheduled for surgery & feeling down.

I am new to this site and have surgery scheduled 4/26/02. This is after several years of urging from my gyn. I am 39 years old but for some reason the "finality" of this is really bothering me. My reason for surgery is dysplasia. I have had this problem for about 7 years. My gyn has tried all of the other procedures (some twice) but after 1 or 2 "normal" paps, I'm right back where I started. The dysplasia has always been mild to moderate. My gyn is concerned because of the amount of time we have been dealing with it. I finally have agreed to surgery, but it sure is messing with my emotions/personality. I am afraid of making the wrong decision. I would be interested in hearing from anyone with similar symptons, physically or emotionally. This appears to be a great site and I would appreciate the support at this time. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 08:45 PM

Hi lillylyn,
I am new to the site as well....... and I am having surgery a few days after you. Emotionally I am right there with you. Questioning my choice....... "maybe my problems arent that bad, to warrent surgery"... etc. (my fears change daily/by the hour)

It is very scary. And from what I gather, everyone (or almost everyone) went throught the panic over doing this too.
Would sure like to hear others confromations about this.
Take care, I am at the same place as you emotionally, even if our reasons are different for the surgery.
xo Donna
Unread 04-19-2002, 08:57 PM

Welcome Lilylynn,
Read the stories, search the archives, take notes and make lists. You will be so prepared for a not so easy thing. It's been said over and over that the waiting is the hardest part. It really is. It is an emotional roller coaster. On the flip side:

1. Quality of life is great!

2. No PAIN

3. No pads

4. No PAIN

5. No periods

6. No PAIN

7. No clots

8. No PAIN

9. Pretty Panties

10. Did I say No PAIN ?

11. Life/schedule doesn't revolve around my cycle, 8 days of bleeding every 2 weeks.

12. PAIN FREE

There is so much info. here. Enjoy and be informed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 09:02 PM

Hi, I'm just getting past where you are emotionally right now, I think its a stage you have to go through. I'm very luck to have a close friendship with my doctor and have talked this through with him. He;s has been very supprotive and told me that it is "very very very normal" ( that's a direct qutoe from my ob/gyn) to have some emotional issues with this surgery, he said all women deal with it. but to try to think about all the ways that this will improve your life. I had a hard time with the "no more babies" part of it, totally irrational, I had my tubes tied 2 years ago, but the finality of it really upset me. It is so normal to feel down now
try to find things that you enjoy doing to keep your mind off your surgery so you don't dwell on it as difficult as I know it is to do.

I have cried my share of tears and thats okay, just remember that this is something that we do for our good to make our lives and our health better. Take care, I be thinking about you. Kathy
Unread 04-19-2002, 09:13 PM
Hi

Ladies I agree with the DR that said it is normal. It is very normal to go through all these emotions and that isn't to say you should just say yes and forget it by all means explore the alternatives etc. From what you all are saying you and your DRs have exhausted all the other routes. This was not an easy decision for me. I had had my tubes tied for almost 20 years but I still couldn't bring myself to change the quality of my life. I finally had the worst period I had ever had and my BP got dangerously high and after I started it went back down. But my BP stayed up and I was on 2 pills for it. Now 10 months after my surgery I am happy to report that I am off one pill and just maybe will see about going off the other. My BP has stayed down and so I am so please. Not to mention the fact that I agree with all the reasons one sister gave. And NO PAIN. I still have a twinge when I realize that even if I wanted to I can never carry a child. I have one DS and love him beyond reason and he is 20 so there was never going to be more children anyway, but it just skips across my heart sometimes. But I am looking for those Grandkids in the future. God Bless and don't worry you emotions are normal as breathing.
Unread 04-19-2002, 10:36 PM
WELCOME

Huge Hugs. I know how you are feeling, been there done that. I had my lavh/rso and bladder repair last Sep. I had severe endeo fibroids and prolapsed uterus and bladder. I had also had years of continual dysplasia.
I can honestly sya that it was the best thing i have ever done. No more pain,periods etc has made such a difference to the way I feel. Soooo great knowing there will never be another period again. No more dysplasia etc.
While waiting there is a roller coaster of emotions to go through and it is totally normal to feel the way that you are at the moment. You will hear the saying that waiting is the hardest part so often, BUT it is the truth. Once it is over and you are well on your way to recovery, things seem to fall into place and you begin feeling so much better.
Please post with any other questions you have. Hugs Vicki
Unread 04-20-2002, 02:53 AM

Hi, thought that all write and add my thoughts on this. I too will be having a TAH and keeping the ovaries if they are not diseased in July. I can't wait for the day to come but I have to wait for 3 months for 3 Lupron shots to shrink my enlarged uterus due to a very large single fibroid. Saw my MRI scan pictures yesterday and it really worries me to see such a big growth inside. I am having my period now and 2 days ago, I had a session of severe flooding when I was at work. Its the kind where the blood clots just flowed right out of me non stop for 4 hours (went through 6 pads in that time). Thought that they'd have to call the ambulance for me at one time. Now, I just want all this to be over, I want this big hard lump in my abdomen to be out of my life ASAP and for my bladder to be working normally again! My symptoms are heaviness in my abdomen, severe bleeding, painful periods, abnormal bleeding, difficulty in urination, dialated kidneys and backache because the fibroid in pressing against my spine. To me, things will only get better after my surgery and I am looking forward to that. So, my advise is that do not waste your time being down, just think of this as a way to fix your problem finally. Best of luck! hongwah
Unread 04-22-2002, 05:18 PM

Thanks to all of you for your comments. The encouragement has helped a great deal. I intend to continue to communicate through the recovery process. I wish all of you well.
I would also like to hear from anyone with the same type problems. My DR seemed to think that this was kind of unusual because the dysplasia I have never progressed, but also never totally went away; in approx. 5-6 years. Anyone else?

Again, thanks for the support.

lilylynn

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register