partial vs total hysterectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

partial vs total hysterectomy partial vs total hysterectomy

Unread 04-19-2002, 08:58 PM
partial vs total hysterectomy

hello hystersisters,

My name is pink and at this time I'm trying to decide on
total or partial keeping cervix. My doctor suggested total
stating that I could still have slight bleeding with a partial.
I'm 39 years old with 2 kids, I have very large fibroids and
pad and clothes soaking periods. I've bled enough in this
lifetime to make a grown woman cry. I'm in need of stories
from hystersisters everywhere.

partial vs total?

thanks pink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 09:18 PM
Hi

Use that pull down menu and read all these stories. I let my DR make the decision. I figured she knew more about my body than I did at least the inside female parts. I had everything removed. From my post-op report it was a good thing I had all kinds of things going on inside there. So read and see what you come up with. You will have many different experiences to read so you will get a wide varity. God Bless.
Unread 04-19-2002, 09:24 PM

Pink, You have come to the right place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am also 39 with 3 teens!I have battled fibroids for 5 years. On 3/28/02 I had a TAH. They took the ceivix and I kept my ovaries. I can realate to all that bleeding.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I became very anemic. I have ruined so many cloths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Icould never wear white!I could go on but I think you get my point you are not alone!Well I am very happy about having the surgery. Now after I heal. I can wear white. Go out to Victorai Secrets and bye all new underware. Go on vacation and not have to bring a suit case full of tampons and pads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Well Good luck. Take care. Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:50 PM
Welcome!

Hi, Pink! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site on the Web! Yes, it is true that if you leave the cervix with its lining intact, and you also keep an ovary, you could have mini periods every month from the lining of the cervix. Some women say they have a better orgasm with the cervix still there, and others say it doesn't make any difference. I know my cervix was just in my way, and I don't miss it at all. You can go to the top of the page to the "search" button and type in "cervix" to read past threads about this subject. If you are undecided, it might be good to get a second opinion from another dr. and explore all your options. s and best wishes to you!
Ruthie
Unread 04-20-2002, 03:36 AM

This is a decision everyone has to make for themselves, unless you are having a vaginal hyst, then the cervix has to go. This is the way my DR explained it to me: the cervix is not a separate organ; it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs. During surgery the vagina is attached to other structures in the abdomen. Keeping the cervix there is still a risk for cervical cancer, and if you keep one or both ovaries there is also a chance of “mini periods”. The bladder has its own ligaments for support.
Unread 04-20-2002, 04:36 AM

I echo KittenCuddles. The dr. knew more about my insides than I did, especially after he opened me up. He made the decision to take everything and I'm happy with that. My hormone therapy is being "tweaked" now and the big "O" still works, but different. My best wishes on making the right decision for you.

s
Unread 04-20-2002, 05:01 AM
Other side of the story

SAH - kept my cervix. Don't regret it. Yes I have mini periods despite everything my doc did to prevent them. Minor minor minor spotting, barely need a panty liner for about 24 hours. No big deal in my mind. Almost reassuring - I know that my ovaries are working just fine.

If there is no evidence or history of disease, it is completely a personal decision that you need to make WITH your physician.
Unread 04-20-2002, 05:58 AM
Personal choice !!

Hi pink !

Welcome to hyster sisters! I know that I am quite a bit older than you are, I am 54. I decided last July when my TAH/BSO was done to clean house. I had 7 very large fibroids and cysts on the ovaries. The cervix for me was not a question because my sister had cervical cancer at 28 years old. I looked at it this way: we all have a personal choice to make at this time when the big hyster has to be performed. You are 39 and the chances of other problems cropping up are definitely there. Fibroids can do more damage than we think, mine sure did. I think if I was in your place I would sit down with your doctor and discuss your options-is there family history of cancers of the ovaries, cervix? I must tell you sex for me has never been so good. My husband says after 31 years of marriage that I have never been so relaxed. Why? Because for the first time in 15 years I have no pain or surprise bleeding. We have gone away a few times since the hyster and it was great to not have to pack supplies, in case of a period or surprise bleeding. Whatever you choose just know hyster sisters and I are here for you. Visit the site through your recovery. You will make life long friends. I have and I am grateful to be able to repay to others what was given to me.

Good Luck to you and let us know what you decide. Remember only you and your doctor will know what is best for you.

Rebecca

TAH/BSO July 24, 2001, due to 7 large fibroids and ovarian cysts
Unread 04-20-2002, 12:24 PM

Hi Pink,

I was told by my doctor that the cervix was part of the hyster deal. Since I was having so much pain with the bleeding and cramping and as you can see in my signature, I had multiple problems with my cervix. I found this out through the pathology report. I'm so glad it's gone!

It's an important personal decision, just like keeping your ovaries is a personal decision.

As far as sex goes, my what is gone? I haven't noticed anything different, except there is NO PAIN! The "O" works just fine thankyouverymuch!

And I have tons of white panties from Victoria's Secret. Yay!

Sara
Unread 04-20-2002, 02:55 PM
Kept It

Hi Pink...I just had a "partial", and I kept my cervix because no history of cancer and for the reasons you already read in the other entries. I asked my Dr what he did to prevent mini periods and he says he actually "carves" out the cervix (which is the lining that sheds). I'm only 2 weeks so I can't speak about whether it worked or not. I really felt it worthwhile to keep the cervix because it was healthy and if what I read is true about support and orgasms sensation, it was worth it for me to keep it. Just my opinion.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register