Can I handle it.....wiggin out...help | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can I handle it.....wiggin out...help Can I handle it.....wiggin out...help

Unread 04-19-2002, 10:41 PM
Can I handle it.....wiggin out...help

Hi I am having a rough night.....last day at work today and it finally hit. I had such a peaceful week. Bammmmmm just like that it smacks me.."this is it" . ohhhhh!! I am so terrified. What if i wake up in so much pain I get all strung out....I am afraid I wont be able to stay in control of the pain and get through it. I am so scared it will last for weeks and weeks......oh my.....help!!! I am going to loose it when I wake up? Freakin out

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:16 PM
"wiggin out" too

Hi Sindee,

Don't worry, you're not alone. My surgery is scheduled for 4/26. I will have only 3 more days at work. The closer it gets, the more nervous I am. Stay with this site. I've been on here for about 3 hours now and I already feel better. The support is great. You sound normal to me. We are probably all stronger than we give ourselves credit for. The waiting is what gets to you, but you/I will get through it.

I'll remember you in my prayers. Keep me posted on how you are doing. Wish you all the best.

lilylynn
Unread 04-19-2002, 11:46 PM

Ladies, I remember the terror when it really hit what I was going to do! For me it was about 2 days pre-op.

Try to relax. You'll get through the time until your surgery, and then you'll get through the surgery. Chances are excellent you'll come through with flying colors.

I think the scariest thing of all is the unknown. After the surgery, the unknown becomes known and everything becomes real instead of morbid fantasy. Stuff that I thought would absolutely freak me out -- like the catheter & IV -- I was able to take in stride. Once you're there, and through it, it is so much less of a big deal than you can imagine from where you're sitting.

My best advice is to lie down on your back, close your eyes, relax, and visualize the entire surgery going smoothly and painlessly. That was the only thing that calmed me down that last week. I really believe it helped my body prepare itself too.

Try to pamper yourself as much as you can. Cut yourself slack if you get scared or emotional. Remember -- you're not going through this alone.

It also really helped me to have a surgery sister (hi, kcrohn! ). We told each other we'd hold hands as we went into the OR. Strangely, having someone else to think about & send good vibes to at that moment really helped. When I went into the OR, I really felt the presence of all these wonderful hystersisters lifting me up, and my surgery sister holding my hand. Remember that we are there with you, every step of the way. Lean on us.

s,

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2002, 12:03 AM
Cindy

Hugs.. Ok Hun now BIG deep breath in................now out..............again..........and again.................. Ok now when I read your post oh did it ever bring back memories, i could have written it. I can really understand how you feel. I am now 7 months post and honey i can tell you that it is just great. You are doing the right thing. A roller coaster of emotions is what messes up your mind, but it is something that most of us end up going through. You must think or TRY positive. I know it is easier said than done but it really helps. I can honestly say that after surgery i had no actaul pain. I had discomfort and abit of backache but the morphine took care of the rest. For your recovery, you will need to rest as much as you can, this will enable you to recover properly. NO going doing things that you should not be doing. We only get one chance to heal properly and 6 to 8 weeks is not alot out of a life time.
Mate you WILL be fine and we will be here waiting to welcome you to the other side. Waiting is truely the hardest part. Hugs and good luck we are here for you. Vicki Smilie
Unread 04-20-2002, 12:14 AM

Hi, Sindee! It's normal to go back and forth from calm to panic in the last few days before surgery. And I think we all worried about how much pain we would have, and how we would handle it. The hospital staff's goal is to get you as comfortable as possible right after surgery. The recovery nurse will ask you to rate your pain on a scale 1-10, and then give you enough pain meds to bring it down to 1-2. The first 24 hours is usually the hardest, but many of us had the PCA IV (patient controlled analgesia) where we could push the button every 10 minutes to give ourselves small doses of morphine or Demoral as needed. That worked well for me, and then the next day I was able to switch to pain pills. Other women have had epidurals that keep their bellies fairly numb for that first day. I took pain pills for my first week at home, and then could switch to Advil and just take the pain pill before bed. So I wouldn't expect that you would have unmanageable pain, and the pain shouldn't last weeks. Some days during recovery will be better than others, but generally you will make progress toward feeling better and having less pain as time goes on. If you do have increasing pain, and meds are not helping, you would need to notify your dr right away. So try to think of everyone working to help you recover and control the pain as well as possible. s to you!
Ruthie
Unread 04-20-2002, 02:52 AM
Relax

Hi Sindee!
I know what you are going thru, that is why this web site is so wonderful to help you thru times like these! I had a TAH on 4-8 and it's approx 12 days later and I feel so great! I was so scared too, I even thought about writing a will! HA but all the support from here and my family really helped.

They are all right when they say the waiting is the worse. Within 1 week you will feel so much better and everyday the pain gets less. I started back driving yesterday, short distances per my Dr. You will be just fine.
Try to relax and think about how great you will feel once it is all over!

Good Luck and God Bless

Leslie
Unread 04-20-2002, 04:52 AM

Cindy.... think red cardinals.... big red ones!!!!!!!!!!!
"Have no anxiety at all but in all things pray and make known your requests to God, then the peace of God will guard your heart and mind."
Its going to be ok... just remember the pain is a HEALING pain.....
kara
Unread 04-20-2002, 05:30 AM
Thank you from the bottom of my heart

You are all so kind to respond. I hate feeling like I did last night it is so overwhelming. I had such a good control over this and bamm it knocked for a loop. I have been trying my best to just not give in to the anxiety because once I do its hard to fight it back for awhile. I slept on and off last night. My hubby hugged me all night long and told me he loved me. He is my rock, right next the Jesus....I will keep praying and bring you all along to the hospital with me.

Breathing deeply.......

Love and Hugs

Cindy

PS Karah.....big red birds.....big red birds..... I saw another one yesterday when I stressed.....big red birds.....thanks for being my surgery sister
Unread 04-20-2002, 05:38 AM
SINDEE

My surgery is scheduled for April 26th and I think I have been handling it great. Then the other day out of the blue...I just began thinking about them having to cut me. I think this is a very normal thing to happen. It's very scary to think about having surgery and waiting is really tough. I just found out my surgery time has been changed from 10:30 to noon. Hang in there honey, very soon we will be on the post-op side talking about our recoveries. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.
Unread 04-20-2002, 08:00 AM
hang in there!

Sindee:
I too am scheduled to go in, in just a couple of days now (isn't yours April 23 like me?) I'm getting the final-day jitters, too, and I've been trying to find ways to stay busy enuf to *not* dwell on it all the time (DH and I scheduled a short trip last week to visit his parents in Las Vegas, so I could be distracted by showgirls & white tigers! - it helped some! )
I try to think of this as passing thru a brief transition (anesthesia) and coming out on the other side towards healing & better health. I know from past surgery (lap gall bladder) that there will be discomfort (it was more soreness than pain for me), but I'm telling myself that I *can* be brave and - once it becomes a known quantity, as one sister said - I can adjust to dealing with it.
Don't be afraid to ask for hugs from DH or anyone else, especially your sisters here. We'll get thru this together, and I will hold your hand as we go thru to the other side!

Marisa

LSH with BSO on 4/23

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register