Can I handle it.....wiggin out...help - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can I handle it.....wiggin out...help Can I handle it.....wiggin out...help

Unread 04-20-2002, 08:19 AM
Can I handle it.....wiggin out...help

Hi Cindy - I can relate to what you are going through, was at the same point this past Sunday. The fear of the unknown, and being in pain (I'm a wimp) is enough to drive you absolutely out of your mind. Had my surgery on Monday (4-15) and was home on Wednesday afternoon. Believe it when your Hystersisters say the waiting is the worst. When I look back on this whole ordeal, I can honestly say that the surgery and recovery have so far been a smooth ride compared to the several weeks leading up to it. I read here that asking the doc to put a local numbing on the incision in surgery would help in the recovery room. He smiled and said that is a normal procedure for him. My doc was great - I even left him a mailing label stuck to my tummy that said ' remove excess fat'.

I will tell you I was a basket case riding from pre-op to OR. The anestheogist gave me 'happy' medicine but decided I wasn't happy enough and zapped me again. By the time I was in OR I didn't care what they did. The next thing I knew we were riding from recovery to my room.

I was lucky and only used the morhpine button through Monday evening and went on Percoset on Tuesday.

The best advice I can give you is to get up and walk as soon as they will let you. I was the 'lap' queen. My doctor/nurses could not emphasize enough the importance of walking to relieve the slight nausea feeling, gas and back pain. It was uncomfortable at first, but not an excruitiating pain. By Tuesday, every time I got up to go to the bathroom, I walked a lap. Just be careful not to overdue it. The pillow police are watching !!!

Sorry so long, but I know the feeling of the unknown. You can read and read but until you are on the other side, you don't always believe what you read.

I am in Parma - if you want to talk, email me your phone number at Delarbar@aol.com. I had a hystersister from South Euclid be my support a couple of days before the surgery. I will tell you it helps to talk with someone who has just gone through it.

Best of luck to you and if we don't talk, see ya on the other side !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2002, 08:28 AM
Can I handle it.....wiggin out...help

Cindy, I too can relate. The waiting is really the hardest part! I know, I know, you have heard that too many times, but it's true!

Everything you are feeling is normal, you are human!

Sara
Unread 04-20-2002, 12:17 PM
sigh......

thanks ladies....I am trying......but every time I try and relax I get all tensed up again in minutes....feeling nauseus (sp?) alot. All nerves.

cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2002, 05:36 PM
Easy to Forget

Hi Cindy....I'm just two weeks post op, and although I can remember the first 24 hours (the roughest), after that is a cakewalk, and the great thing about the mind, is that God is gracious with our memories and I can allow myself to forget the worst pain. I am doing so well at 2 weeks...I can't even believe how good I feel. So, be hopeful....the waiting is the worst part and for you it's almost over. It's not so bad. Be brave.
Unread 04-20-2002, 06:55 PM
Pre-Op Jitters

Sindee, truly the waiting is the hardest part. I am just over 6 weeks post-op and, for the most part, I am a pretty calm person, but got a little jittery in the pre-op room when they took my blood pressure. The nurse asked me if I was getting a little edgy and I replied, "Perhaps". Anyway she gave me something to take the edge off, plus medication for the nausea I get from anesthesia.

I don't remember a thing after they placed the mask over my face, but I do remember waking up in pain in the recovery room and asked for medication for that. After that I wasn't in any real pain, just a little discomfort. I think my back hurt worst than the actual incision and I had to sit in the chair beside my hospital bed sometimes when I'd get up in the middle of the night to go potty so that I could give my back a rest. At one point when the nurse came in to check on me, she asked me if I wanted to lay somewhat on my side and I then proceeded to hold on to the bed rail and pull myself in a roll so that she could place the pillow under my back and then I rolled back onto it. It felt absolutely wonderful to get off of my back for awhile. I only used the PCA pump twice while in the hospital and only took pain pills when I got to my brother's house.

Other than that my recovery has been very uneventful, thank God, and I'm sure yours will go smoothly also. You have lots of prayers and s here among your hystersisters.

Take care and let us know when you get home from the castle.

Paula

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register