Worried and Scared | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried and Scared Worried and Scared

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:00 PM
Worried and Scared

Hi girls i just wanted to know if any of you out there have had a abdominal hysterectomy with bso? I just went to my pre op on tues and the doctor says I am going to loose everything including the cervix for fear of Cancer. The hospital I work in is great. I am getting alot of feedback. i am just worried with the surgery. How long does most surgies take? the doctor says about 4 to 5 hours. Is this normal help Thanks dina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 11:14 PM
Hi dina

I havent had my surgery yet. I am the same day as you. Just thought I would drop you a note and tell you I am freaking out too!!! So your not alone. I am to have a horizontal cut and the doc said 2 hours. Hope all goes well for you in three days.

Hugs
Cindy
Unread 04-20-2002, 12:28 AM
Worried and Scared

Hi, Dina! I had abdominal hyst (TAH BSO) as have lots of women here. The length of time for the surgery varies with how much work the dr has to do inside. I see from one of your past posts that you have endometriosis. If your dr suspects that your endo is pretty extensive, he may plan on your surgery taking a long time in order to remove as much of the endo as possible. I didn't have endo or any other repairs, so my hyst was fairly simple and only took a little over an hour. You can go up to the top of the page to "search" and type in "endometriosis" to read past threads of other hystersisters discussing that. I'm glad your hospital is a good one, and that you will feel comfortable there. s and best wishes to you!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2002, 12:37 AM
Surgery Time

Hi Dina,

I am 10 days post-op and I had a TAH/BSO. My surgery only took 1 hr. and 45 mins. (15 mins. longer than anticipated). I had some adhesions, but other than that... things went well. I've never heard of 4 or 5 hours. Maybe your Dr. was including the time for recovery too.

All I know is that my surgery started at 12:30 and when I woke up in recovery and they said that they were bringing me back to my room, I noticed the clock on the wall in recovery said 4:15. So, 4 hours total before my family would see me again.

I wish you well and hope you have as speedy of a recovery as I am having.

Best Wishes,

Noël
Unread 04-20-2002, 09:39 AM
Worried and Scared

Hi Dina!

I was told that the surgery would be from 1-3 hours. It was 3 hours due to the adhesions they found when the surgery started. Why not call the doctor to check on the time window? The worst he could say is I can't be more specific until we are inside. I think they give you an estimate on the high end, in case there is more than what they are expecting when they do open you up.

Sara
Unread 04-20-2002, 03:04 PM
Worried and Scared

Hi. 14 months post op here. With everything you're having done, that amount of time might be needed. Are they counting the prep and everything? I lost one ove and kept cervix. I think my time was a good 2 1/2 hours. Listen to your dr. ANyway, you don't want them to rush do you? .....Next

Take care.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register