scar tissue and adhesions ??? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scar tissue and adhesions ??? scar tissue and adhesions ???

Unread 04-23-2002, 07:08 AM
Question . . .

Can you have adhesions if you have never had any other surgery?

I never thought about it before, but these symptoms match how I feel at LOT!

My hyster on May 24 will be my first ever surgery (OK, I had wisdom teeth out 25 years ago), but everyone seems to relate their adhesions to previous surgery.

Thanks.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:49 AM
scar tissue and adhesions ???

Hi, Nancy! I think if someone has endometriosis and it grows onto surrounding organs, adhesions could form and stick everything together. Anything that irritates the tissues can possibly cause adhesions, I guess, even without a surgery. Your dr will hopefully see what's causing your symptoms when you have your hyst. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 04-23-2002, 09:56 AM
Thanks

Thanks, Ruthie,

From reading all the posts here, I realize that it's not unusual for a doctor to be surprised at what he/she finds once surgery is started.

So far, with exams and sonogram and CA125, all I am diagnosed with is fibroids (size of 14 wk. uterus) and enlarged right ovary. I've never really complained about all the other little aches and pains.

Originally we discussed leaving the left ovary, but now that I am more informed, as well as 48 years old, I think I'll plan on letting dr. take that as well.

I can't imagine what I would be going through if I had not found this site. I have learned so much and feel so much more informed than I did four week ago when I first learned I was headed for surgery.

Thank you all.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 07:04 PM

I too have massive adhesions. My uterus is glued to the rear of my pelvis. The surgeon could not get behind there to take a peak during a lap - that is *** bad it is.

Anyways, I get a burning feeling at various times of the month. If I don't bend over just right when I sneeze then OUCH! On at least two occassions I am sure I have pulled something when sneexzing. I would experience VERY sharp pains and then feel pain and even a bruised feeling for days to weeks afterwards.

If I sit for too long, I get MAJOR cramping, and at other time, it feels like I have a severe bladder infection. If I walk around too much I cramp up as well.

At other times, I have experienced tugs and twinges. In my lower laft/right quadrants and a year ago something must've burst, because my lower left quadrant started spasming (it went on for 2 weeks) Then I went to the hospital, the pain was was so bad. This is what led me to have a lap and ultimately my HYST, scheduled for this Thursday.

Sorry to rant on, but I hope this helps!
Unread 04-23-2002, 09:15 PM
adhesions w/o surgery, too!

I, too,have been diagnosed with adhesions but have never had surgery. I have been trying to figure out if this is common or just a fluke (it is me we're talking about here). It's nice to hear that I am not the only one.

I have a pulling sensation on my right side and ocassionally it feels like someone has stuck a red-hot poker into the corner of my pelvis where my hip is. When it gets that bad, it is hard to walk and uncomfortable no matter what position I am in. Often, when I stretch or exercise the pain increases. If I stand up too fast, it feels like some one has pulled the ligaments to either side of my waist and I have to bend back over to relieve the pain. And then, of course, whenever I have my period and/or ovulate, the pain gets pretty bad, too.

I read about a methylcellulose layer that the dr can coat the organs with to prevent adhesions from forming during the first two weeks after surgery. I am very concerned that this will happen to me after the TAH/BSO I have scheduled, so I am going to ask my dr to see if he can use this product. Any one have any more info about this?
Unread 04-24-2002, 06:54 PM

helloooooch everyone. my thoughts are with soulful and debbie m for their surgerys this week---good luck on being cut loose. i also have heard about doctors using collogen wraps to stop adheisons from forming after surgery. i will ask my doctor the next time i see her.-----my little song is-- please release me, cut me free---my darling i just want to be---LOL-----janice72

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register