HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can you feel the catheter when you walk? Can you feel the catheter when you walk?

Unread 04-20-2002, 07:16 AM
Can you feel the catheter when you walk?

I know in the hospital most of us will get catheters for a few days maybe more. But my question is this, can you feel the catheter when you are up moving around, walking and such? Is it uncomfortable like you still have to pee? ,Does it sting like a bladder infection? Or do you just really not feel it because of the pain meds? I just wanted to know what to expect. I am having a Tah in 5 days and that is really the only thing still freaking me out!
Unread 04-20-2002, 07:38 AM
Cathetar

HI,

Relax, don't worry about the small stuff. My hospital put it in when I was asleep, that's good. If they do it when you are still awake it's just a little pinch. I had it that way 4 times before. It didn't hurt me. Yes sometimes you can feel like you have to pee, but I found it's the position in which I was laying. When I'd straighten myself out the urge would go away and dd would say the bag was filling. lol

I had it in this time until the fourth day. They took it out in the afternoon and it didn't hurt at all. Sometimes I would sit wrong and could feel it a little. No big deal for me this time. After I had it out I could pee right away, but half way through going I'd get this strange feeling inside me. Not pain, not burning , just strange. Someone on here told me it was a bladder spasm. I think you will do just fine. It's far better than getting up all the time to pee............good luck to you and talk to you soon. xxoo Paula
Unread 04-20-2002, 07:39 AM

I had mine out before I walked around. They came in and took the IV and morphine drip away. Then removed the catheter. I was free to move around. It felt so good to be up that I walked way too much. The nurses came and got me and made me go to bed so, don't over do it. I did have some bladder pain after the catheter came out. That felt like an infection. Good luck!! You will be fine!
Unread 04-20-2002, 07:44 AM
Yes

Hello,

Yes, you can feel the cath. if you are moving around. It was uncomfortable for me, although not unbareable! They inserted mine while I was sleeping. Early the morning after surgery, they removed it. There was no pain what-so-ever when they took it out. It was a relief to have it out. I started to pee almost 2 min. after it was out. I did have the urge to pee while it was in. You can move into differnt positions until you find a comfortable place that it will drain easily. It is not as bad as you think! Just think, if you don't have it, you would be getting up to pee alot the night of your surgery and you don't feel like getting up that quick!

Cheryl
Unread 04-20-2002, 07:55 AM

Hi,
I think everyone is different with this. I didn't feel it just pressure from it. Was a relief when they took it out though! Don't worry, you can ask if they are going to put it in when you are sleeping before surgery, I asked and was relieved to know that they did it that way!

Sara
Unread 04-20-2002, 07:55 AM

Have you been told what kind of cath you will get? My was the abdominal cath and I kept it in for 2 weeks. I'll go into more details if this is the kind you are having. 's to you!
Unread 04-20-2002, 08:27 AM

Hi, Feather,

I had my tah bso last Monday. They inserted the cath before I left my room. It stung just a little because I had recently had a UTI, but it wasn't too bad. That quickly went away. You can tell you have it, but it really didn't bother me when I was walking. You never feel like you have to urinate.

Once it was removed, I had to get up every 2 hours to go to potty. lol

I'm 5 days post now. You'll do great.

Debbie

Unread 04-20-2002, 08:56 AM

Had my TAH/BSO last Monday (4-15), they put the cath in after I was asleep. I've had it done before when awake and it is just a little pinch. I was up walking the afternoon of the surgery and didn't feel a thing. As far as hurting, it never hurt, just a little pressure. Glad to have it out on Tuesday afternoon. My biggest problem was getting mixed up with all the wires -- cath, IV, and leg pads (don't know what they are actually called). They blow up and down on a regular schedule to assist with circulation. At first they are great - feels like a massage, but after awhile they get annoying. Once I was walking they took them off.

You'll do fine. Best of luck to you and of course the most sincerest of
Unread 04-20-2002, 09:13 AM

When I was in my hospital room is when I realized I had my cath in. They must have done it in surgery room. I had surgery on a friday and they removed it saturday morning before I started walking so it did not bother me. You should be fine. Best Wishes.

Sherri
TAH/RSO & Cervix Removed 3/15/02
Unread 04-20-2002, 10:12 AM

Thanks to all of you who replied. I guess i am just so nervous about the catheter because once i had to give a urine sample when i was on my period and they put in a catheter to get the sample, i just about came off the bed it hurt so bad! I'm not sure why it is different for me, i have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I broke my wrist in 5 seperate places and my wrist in 2 and i didn't go to the doctor for almost a week to get it looked at. I have had 2 children vaginally with absolutely no pain or relaxing meds, and 2 days after my c-section i was walking around with no meds. and doing just fine. But i tell you when it comes to getting a catheter i freak out! I really am so appreciative to everyone for their replies.Wish me luck on the surgery and pray i am not such a big baby.Bye for now.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway