public awareness | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

public awareness public awareness

Unread 04-20-2002, 08:41 AM
public awareness

Hi Sisters!

I sure wish there was more public awarenes regarding hysterectomies.

When the doctor told me, "I'm just going to make a small incision on your abdomin, pop everything out and your good to go." I'm thinking, "Cool, back to work the next day!" So, I'm telling this to my co-worker when her neice walks in. She tells me, "No way, are you coming back to work the next day! When I had my hyst I was out 6 weeks!" Well, I'm thinking..."Wuss!" So, I call my dr and talk to his nurse and when I say, "This is out-patient surgery, right?" She say, "Heavens No! You'll be in the hospital for 2-3 days and may possibly go back to work at 4 weeks if your doing well." I'm still thinking, "No, way." Then I found this site. Now if we could only educate the rest of the world. People look at me like I'm some type of wimp when I tell them I'm going to be off work for 4-6 weeks. (Unless, they've already been through it.)

My daughter has to be at her school at 4:30 am to leave for a parade the band is marching in on Saturday, the 27th, my surgery is on Wednesda,the 24th. I told the band director that due to my hyst I didn't know how I was going to get her there and she said to me, "Well, it shouldn't be that difficult for you."

That is the general attitude I see. The uneducated do not comprend that this is "Major Surgery". It is not like getting a tooth pulled or having a C-section.

I am so tired of all the women who have had c-sections telling me that even though the dr told them to take it easy for a couple of weeks they were back to work in less than one.

Oh well, sorry for the blah, blah, blah! Guess I'm getting more touchy as my date gets closer!

Anyhow ladies, take care.

Cherilynn
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2002, 08:48 AM
public awareness

Hi Cherilynn,

I can relate to what you are talking about. I have had c-sections and other surgeries and I didn't know that a hyster had the recovery time of 6-8 weeks until I asked my doctor at the initial exam! I only had a week to educate myself, guess where I came?

I had surgery on a Wednesday morning and was released on Friday morning. That night my oldest was going to ring dance and the youngest was taking a karate test. My hubby was busy for sure, driving everywhere and taking pictures for me as I laid on the couch sleeping and resting. Recovery takes a long time. Period.

I would tell the band director, "I will try my best to arrange a ride for my daughter, do you know of anyone that could help by picking her up and dropping her off as I'm going through major surgery?" That should put an end to that notion!

You can educate people as you encounter them, I have. I don't come out and tell them that they are wrong though, haha, even though I was tempted a few times. I just make sure that they know that a hyster is major surgery with a recovery time of 6-8 weeks depending on the patient. Even though they think it's easy, until they have it, they cannot know, now can they?

for support and strength, sounds like you need it! Don't worry, things will be fine and work out.

Sara
Unread 04-20-2002, 10:16 AM
public awareness

Cherilynn--

Yikes---I can't believe the numbsculls that you've encountered.
Especially that band director---and a woman no less!! Your health is more important than any parade if you aren't able to make other arrangements.

It is major surgery and the most common comment I've heard from other women is that they didn't realize how tired they'd be after surgery. One friend even said she was questioning her decision about surgery as the first week was pretty rough but after that she had smooth sailing but wasn't ready to do too much until at least the 4th week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2002, 11:27 AM
public awareness

It is really amazing how little is understood and known by the 'general public' about how major this surgery is. And that doesn't help the new princesses when their family doesn't even believe how major it is and expects the princess to just pop up and be 'normal' again!

My experience was to explain and answer their questions and then point them to this site!

Hang in there and don't let anyone tell you how long it will take YOU to recover. You must listen to your doctor and then listen to your body!
Rest rest rest. You only have ONE chance to heal correctly!
Unread 04-20-2002, 01:24 PM
Major surgery

Cherilynn- Here's my husband's definition of major surgery:

"ANY SURGERY I'M HAVING"

use it to your best advantage.

Take care of yourself, don't be afraid to ask for help.Over and over again if necessary!!!
Unread 04-20-2002, 01:43 PM
Thanx!

Thanx for letting me vent.

I really appreciate your help.

I do try and educate the uninformed when I can but sometimes it's like talking to a wall!

Even my mom (who had a hyst 15 years ago) told me she was driving right after she got home! Well, she's a 3 pack a day smoker and her hubby wouldn't go buy her any cigs so she drove herself to the store! But she did say that because she was retired she probably rested more than she remembers. Maybe if you don't work outside the home and all the kids are gone it probably is easier to recover because you don't feel pressured to 'get going'?

Anyway, this is wonderful site with so much info! So.....Thanx again!

Cherilynn
:
Unread 04-20-2002, 02:58 PM
public awareness

Hi Cherylynn

I too thought I was going to be in and out, honestly belived this was going to be an outpaitent basis,. lol My logic was I had two laps, D & C so there I go, recovery at home for a week.

My gyn at time stated I need hyst never told me about recovery time, till I switched gyn and he explained everything to me. I am grateful for him.

I thought I could lay around in my pool and float my dh stated if you cant drive you cant get in and out of pool. lol **to bad**

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register