I am new, need surgery, and scared... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am new, need surgery, and scared... I am new, need surgery, and scared...

Unread 04-20-2002, 10:32 AM
I am new, need surgery, and scared...

I am new to this site and I am completely overwhelmed...I am having surgery on May 14th, a TAH/BSO, I have severe anemia due to fibroids, heavy bleeding, clots, etc... I would like someone to help me out here, where to start, what to expect, etc. This forum looks awesome but I am somewhat confused where to go, there are so many links forums etc. Thank you very much for any help you can give in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2002, 10:49 AM
Hello Bookwoman

Welcome to Hystersisters. We are so glad you have found us. There is much iinformation here and support to help you on this journey.
A good place to start is the Home Page. There are lot's of pull down menus towards the bottom that will give you lot's of information on what to expect both before and after surgery, how to deal with hormones etc. Here is the link:
http://www.hystersisters.com
It is also helpful to read past pages on this forum. Just go to the bottom and select pages 2,3,4, etc. We all have alot to learn from each other. I think most of us come here feeling like we don't know very much about what we are about to go through. Knowledge brings some confidence and hopefully also some peace of mind. We know this is scary. But you will make it through just fine.
Are you taking Iron for your anemia? If not please ask the doctor what you should be taking. It is very important to build up your blood before surgery.
I too was anemic and suffered with heaving bleeding, clotting etc. It is wonderful to have all of that behind me. Life is good on the other side.
Keep reading and posting.
We are here for you.
Unread 04-20-2002, 10:59 AM

thanks for the info, yes I take 325 mgs. of iron 3 times a day...with folic acid and I am still anemic. I will go through all these pages...I can already see I am in good hands here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2002, 11:04 AM

That is the same Iron dose I was on and it helped alot. I did not need any blood during surgery.
I haven't had my Iron levels checked since surgery. But the doctor just said to eat alot of red meat for a few weeks and that should take care of it. I think it has. The fatigue and weakness have left. Yippeee!!!
Unread 04-20-2002, 11:16 AM

HI Bookworm,
When I first found this site, after my surgery, ( your one up on me), I started with the pull downs. They contain tons of information. Then I just started "looking" around. I am 3 months post-op. and still use this site. I need to lose weight and there is even support in that area. I found that these woman have felt all of my "pain", emotionally and physically. No one here ever takes the place of your doctor but for me, when I felt things going on in my body that were foreign, I could come to this site and find reassurance that I wasn't alone or losing my mind. You came to the right place. Ask anything you want, and I mean anything, no one is shy. You are an official Karlene
Unread 04-20-2002, 11:22 AM

Welcome Bookwoman!

I found this place only a few weeks before my surgery. I too had fibroids, clotting, severe bleeding, anemia. Read as much as you can on this site. After I found this site, I didn't need any other site for information!
Ask questions, you're in a family here. NO question is stupid. You need to go into your Doctor as informed as possible. Make lists of questions you want to ask your Dr. As you read the posts and pull down menus here you'll probably think of even more questions.
And when you can, come to chat with us! It's a real-time forum for pre and post sisters to chat about their questions and give support to each other!
Glad you're here!
PS, my chat name is Bookbabe1960, think we're related???
Unread 04-20-2002, 12:06 PM

Hi Bookwoman and welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I found this site 7 days before my surgery, the pull-down menus taught me everything I needed to know about what to bring and expect.

I'm still finding things on this site and I have been here for 2 months now!

Email is always on if you need help!

Sara
Unread 04-20-2002, 06:07 PM

Hi!!!
I too was very anemic prior to surgery. For about 3 months I took Nu-Iron until I got my iron level back up. Those fibroids definiately do a number on you!! I had a TAH and was able to keep one ovary. I had no problems with surgery or recovery. I feel wonderful and wish I hadnt waited 2 years in misery. There is lots of information here, so dont let it overwhelm you too much. We are all different, but I imagine a majority of the women who have been through this surgery will say that it made a big difference in their health and well being. I know it did for me!
Let us know if you have any questions!
Take Care.
Unread 04-20-2002, 06:39 PM
welcome

Hi Bookworm,

I know you are busy reading now. I just wanted to welcome you and tell you there is no question that we won't attempt to answer. But most of all, we are here for each other, for support during our overwhelming times. Get back to us after you've had time to absorb this wonderful site.

Maralyn
Unread 04-20-2002, 06:42 PM
oops

Pardon me!!!!
I said woman! woman! not worm!

Maralyn
sometimes our errors can be a source of humor!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register