I am new, need surgery, and scared... - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am new, need surgery, and scared... I am new, need surgery, and scared...

Unread 04-20-2002, 06:49 PM
I am new, need surgery, and scared...

Hi Book woman, you're in the right spot. Look over the stories, search topics and read archives for the best info. I used to print out pages and pages from this site and then lie in bed at night and read them and highlight any important info. I made lists of do's and don'ts. I learned what to take to the hospital- also see a recent post on "Did I overpack" somewhere in this thread. Many sisters gave good ideas there.

You might still have time to order KAthy's book. It is soooo helpful for LIW's. I don't remember how long it took for me to get my copy but I don't think it was too long.

We are so happy for you that you found us PRE surgery. Some sisters find us post. You've got time to read and plan. It will make your surgery soo much easier.

Most of the info is positive. Once in a while you'll come across a negative experience. Don't let that get you down. Listen to your dr.

Let us know and don't be afraid to ask ANY question.

Sherl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 09:51 AM

A big thank you to everyone...I am amazed at the education I am getting just this weekend, I am reading everything...another question, where is there info on...keeping your ovaries vs. removal of them, then what about HRT will I need it? My Dr. has recommended removing everything due to cysts on my ovaries, and the ever present "fear" of cancer someday...I would like to read more about this however. What a wonderful site this is.
Unread 04-21-2002, 10:55 AM

Bookwoman

On the HysterSisters.com page, there are two options to use for hormone info. At the left are subjects to click on to, use the Hormone Jungle option. It is loaded with threads from sisters who are talking about hormones.
But further down the page is a option called Pull down articles. Here you will find information on hormones. Of course there are off site locations also.
Maralyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 12:38 PM
Bookwoman

I just got home myself yesterday after having TAH/BSO and appendectomy 4-18.
All I can tell you, from my own experience...read everything you can. Get yourself prepared. I had meals ready to eat in the freezer, the "recovery room" all ready before hand. Cleaned my house and finished up all the laundry the night before my surgery. I am a clean fanatic, and this is the only way I knew I wouldn't worry about it.
As for the surgery..do ab exercises now. The tighter those muscles are before, the better off you will be. I am not "superwoman", but the only meds I have had since the surgery are tylenol.
Mind over matter, know ahead of time , how YOU want this to come out. I wanted the least amount of time possible in the hospital, think I managed that, less than 48 hrs. I want to be up and about asap, but taking it easy, not pushing, don't want to go back for any reason. I go to the Dr tomorrow so he can check the incision, but all looks fine. Yes, have the swelly belly, but using a tummy binder and it really seems to help, be sure to ask your Dr, they don't just hand them out.
Good luck, and all will be just fine.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register