The Last Supper | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Last Supper The Last Supper

Unread 04-20-2002, 07:19 PM
The Last Supper

Hi there Ladies,

Hope everything is going well with you all!

I am scheduled for a TAH with vertical incision on the 26th of this month to remove my uterus, at least one ovary, and multiple adhesions due to endo. The adhesions are so bad, the dr. could not even take a peak behing the uterus during the video lap.

A couple of months ago, I had an exam, and the dr. determined that I may not need a bowel resection. However, I am on the liquid diet and bowel prep "just in case".

My concern is this: when I read posts of others going on the bowel prep, it sounds like it is only 2 days in duration..??......

My doc said I have to be on 4 days of a liquid diet, with the remaining 2 days taking Citro-Mag and antibiotics. Is this normal? I am wondering how I am going to avoid getting hungry!

I have 4 kids an a hubby and they have to eat, meaning I will be subjected to the aromas of dinners and other meals being cooked. How do I avoid temptation? How do I avoid becoming weak due to the restriction of liquids?

Any hints would be more than helpful. Anyways, tonight is my "last supper" and I ate a meal fit for a queen. Prawns, steak, beer, you name it. Man I love my food lol! (L)

Anyways, please feel free to drop any suggestions!

Soulful (from Canada)

soulful222@shaw.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2002, 07:47 PM
The Last Supper

Hi Soulful,

I can't answer your question about whether 4 days of liquid diet is "normal" because each of us is so different and our surgeries are so different that there is really nothing that could be called "normal" unless you are comparing the exact same procedures. I know it must be frustrating, though, to read about others who had only 2 days of liquid diet, but please remember that those ladies might not have had the possible bowel re-section that your doctor feels you might need.

Did your doctor's office give you a list of what is considered "liquid" that you may eat during the next 4 days? If not, please call them on Monday and ask for a list. Is it supposed to be clear liquids, or just any liquid? If it can be any, then maybe things like jello, ice cream, milkshakes, soups, etc. would be OK to eat (drink?). I remember years ago getting a hospital tray with green pea soup, jello, beef broth. tea and coffee, and ice cream on it. For a liquid diet, it wasn't too bad, and the jello and soup helped hold off the hunger pains.

By the 3rd or 4th night, you might want to shoo your family out the door to go eat somewhere else, though.

I'll be thinking about you and hoping that it all goes well.

's

Karen
Unread 04-20-2002, 08:16 PM
The Last Supper

Dear Soulful from Canada,

I am Pear from Canada! I will keep you in my prayers. Follow your Dr.'s advice...ask your family to eat out and ask for their support during this very challenging time. I am sure that they will understand. It is for the best that you follow these instructions as the surgery may (I am not saying will) be tricky and well, "cleanliness is next to godliness" in this case...if bowel needs to be worked on and bacteria from feces enters your pelvic region and causes a messy infection...best to avoid (which is exactly what you are doing)
My prayers are with you and God/dess will give you the strength you need to prepare for this surgery.
Blessings,
Paula

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register