New....and un-decided | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New....and un-decided New....and un-decided

Unread 04-21-2002, 11:09 AM
New....and un-decided

Hi ladies. I found this site by chance (good luck) a couple of weeks ago and came back and registered today. It seems like an amazing site!

2 weeks ago I found out I had an unusal cyst on my left ovary - 2 days ago found out the beast was 14 cm and my dr scheduled surgery for April 29 - it hasn't quite sunk in yet. 4years ago I had surgery to remove 4 large fibroids, but kept the "plumbing" in place. This time it's so overwhelming - the cyst is so large and complex and so twisted up that the ovary will probably have to go with it. And there are more fibroids again, though not as large as before - so she wants me to think about removing the uterus as well....and if she doesn't like the look of the cyst when she goes in, i.e. cancer, the other ovary will go.

Everytime I think I've made the decision to remove everything, I start thinking again.....maybe....maybe not. Even though I'm almost 41, I'm not sure I'm ready for that. The fibroids this time around have not been as bad as the last time. The bleeding is the least it's been in my life, and the cramping minimal.

If anyone out there can relate, please let me know. I have to make a decision soon, as my surgery is in a week. I see my dr again tomorrow, so I'm going to talk some more with her. So many decisions...so little time....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 11:40 AM
Hi Kathryn

Welcome to Hystersisters.
We too are glad you found us. This is a big decision and a big step in your life and of course there is no going back.
We are neither for or against hysterectomy here at Hystersisters. But this is the best place to gather lot's of information and learn from many other women's experiences to help you make your decision.
I am glad you will be discussing this in more detail with your doctor. Have you considered a 2nd or 3rd opinion also?
What does your doctor think about your fiboids coming back? The fibroids can continue to grow and cause you problems until after menopause. You'll wantto make a very informed decision about what to expect and what your options are.
Even once the decision is made to go ahead with the surgery many women still have second thoughts about whether or not it is the right thing to do. It is not easy to say goodbye to that part of ourselves. But for most of us it has defintely been worth it.
My surgery was necessary to save my life. But I kind of look at it as a blessing in disguise. My life had been run by heavy bleeding, clotting, anemia and fatigue, and just constantly dealing with the mess etc. Life is good without having to deal with all of that anymore.
Keep reading and asking lot's of questions.
Also check out all the pull down menu's on the Home page if you haven't already done so.
We are here for you.
Unread 04-21-2002, 01:04 PM
New....and un-decided

Hi Kathryn! Welcome to Hyster Sisters! I'm glad you are here gathering information and preparing yourself. I was here almost all the time in the week before my surgery. If I had more notice, I'm sure I would have been!

I had a TAH with the removal of my uterus and cervix. I had so much pain and bleeding they thought I had fibroids, but it was adeno. So, I had major surgery for 3 hours to separate my abdominal wall and uterus. No wonder I was in pain!

I'm almost at 8 weeks post-op and I can tell you that the waiting is really the toughest part. I couldn't wait to get it over with and start healing. NO pain, none, yay! It really changed my life and my moods as well. Hard to be happy when you are hurting!

Please let me know if I can help, email is always on!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 01:14 PM
New....and un-decided

Hi Shelly, Hi Sara, I've just been on the pull-down menus on the home page - great sources. I think I have all of my topics to discuss with my DR tomorrow.

As far as another opinion....I'm really confident with the DR I have right now. I've experienced a few horror stories through my friends. It took me a long time to find both a GP and GYN that I really trust, and they are both extremely understanding and thorough....I'm lucky.

My last surgery 4 yrs ago went really well - this time there's just more to think about post-op, because there's more happening now.

I think I'll feel better after tomorrow - after I've asked my questions and thought about all of the options. Just reading the info on this site has been a big help in itself.

Back to the research......

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register