Sisters with Fibromyalgia have Hys. | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sisters with Fibromyalgia have Hys. Sisters with Fibromyalgia have Hys.

Unread 04-21-2002, 11:41 AM
Sisters with Fibromyalgia have Hys.

Does anyone have information on women with Fibromyalgia having hysterctomies? Such as ways to cope easier etc..

Thanks to all

Sheri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 11:51 AM
Hi Sheri

Yes, some of the women I have seen post have dealt with fibromyalgia along with their hysterectomy. I am not one of them but someone should be along who can share some insight with you.
I'll keep the on and see what I can find.
Has your doctor discussed any special treatment or medication to assist you?
Unread 04-21-2002, 12:30 PM

I too have FMS, and I've also been very worried about how the stress of surgery will affect it. I've been dealing with it for years but had *finally* begun to feel better in December (better sleep, less day to day pain, more energy), and that's when my fibroids sprung into action and started to wreak their own havoc.

All I can say is that *I* hope a hyst. will eventually provide relief from some of the nagging, small daily pains that I attributed to FMS, when perhaps they were caused by my fibroids. I'm not sure why you are having a hyst, but if it's for any reason related to pain, you must know that your body will only benefit from the eventual absence of that problem. I know my FMS was/is exacerbated by continual small problems that pile on the stress, and once surgery is out of the way, I think that will give me a green light to concentrate on just feeling better.

Every single doctor I've been to (and there've been many!) treats FMS differently. I think I've been helped by a combination of thyroid hormones, sleep aids, vitamin supplements, and by short-term (i.e. 8 month) use of pain meds (oxycontin) to give my body a break from feeling crummy. If you've tried any of these things in the past and found them helpful, perhaps you & your doctor can consider starting them up again to help you get through the post-hyst healing period.

I wish you luck, and hope that surgery will help heal some of your daily aches and pains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:48 AM

I have FMS, but I didn't have it till after I had surgery. It's painful as all get out, but PT has helped me some. I will see if I can find a sister who had it before her surgery.

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 04-23-2002, 11:39 AM

FMS Sisters,

I'm sending you all gentle 'S

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia prior to my surgery. For me the fibro pain started while I was on a drug called Lurpon-which put me into a psuedo menopause.

For me the most important thing I did was some walking. With my docs permission I was walking in the hospital the day after my surgery (slowly and carefully). I think that made a really big difference in my recovery....

I also could not take any HRT for 3 months following my hyst (due to Endo). I found this to be very hard. My Rheumatologist explained to me that once I was able to start HRT I would see improvement with the Fibro. She was right...the estrogen helps.

I know that we are all different....and our bodies handle this surgery individually, but talk to your Dr's about your worries/concerns. Also feel free to e-mail me anytime if you want to chat.
Unread 04-23-2002, 04:41 PM

I am so glad you asked that question!! I have FMS and am going to have my hyst probably in early June. I have been concerned about an exacerbation of my FMS d/t the stress of the surgery. But I also am hoping that some of my daily pain is d/t the adenomyosis ie: back ache, excessive tiredness, etc. I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers

Sheryl
Unread 04-24-2002, 03:18 PM
Treatment of Fibromyalgia

Hi Sheryl!

My given name is also Sheryl. I just came from seeing my Rheumatologist and have been given 2 new drugs (for me anyway). At first he told me there was really no treatment for this condition than I asked him then what are all these people taking. I've done research on the net. I mentioned Ultram and Neurontin. So he gave me Ultracet, and a drug called Bextra to try after my hysterectomy. The Ultracet is for moderate to acute pain.
Plus I take Amitryptiline at night. Which I'm sorry to say I've been having to take more of. He also gave me some literature on some excercises. I'm going to call him tomorrow and ask for a prescription for massage therapy. I forgot to ask while I was there. I know this has helped a number of people with FMS. Plus with the prescription my insurance will pay for it. My hysterectomy is May 6, 7:30 am. I to am very concerned about the added pain stress my body will be going through. Enough about me.
I am glad you wrote Sheryl. Hope to hear from you soon.

God bless
Sheri
Unread 04-24-2002, 04:27 PM
Fribromyalgia/Lupus/Endo/Adeno

In my research, I have found that there is definitely a connection here and a need for rheumatologists to communicate with the ob/gyn etc. If you have an HMO this might not happen.

I was diagnosed with lupus five years ago when I first started taking heavy duty painkillers for adenomyosis. However, it was not a proper diagnosis as there is something called "drug induced" lupus and I was just overmedicated. An accurate diagnosis of lupus can be hard to get, and lots of symptoms get lumped into that category as is true with Fibromyalgia.

I have often wondered if the two were an effect, rather than a cause. If you think about it, little is known about what causes adeno/endo, and they are both auto-immune deficiency siutations. So maybe they exacerbate the lupus/fibromyalgia symptoms. I used to subscibe to an adeno goup on Delphi, and their symptoms read like a list of the same ones: fatigue, pain, etc.

Worth a study, I think.

Meanwhile, SAM-E did wonders for my fibromyalgia and I think having the hysterectomy will help as well.
Soozn

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register