Have Been perusing and this is my first post | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have Been perusing and this is my first post Have Been perusing and this is my first post

Unread 04-21-2002, 01:04 PM
Have Been perusing and this is my first post

Hi Sisters, I've been reading your boards for over a week in anticipation of my ob/gyn consult. I will have TAH on May 7 and I'm only 38 years old! Excuse me if I don't use proper abbreviations, etc . but I was diagnosed with adenomyosis last Oct. and developed accompanying pain in Dec. Dealt with chronic pain going on 4 months and received diagnosis of existing adeno, scarring, adhesions, enlarged and prolapsed uterus. They will re-open C-section scar to take everything out. Tried to barter to keep my ovaries, but they were reluctant since I've had endo in the past along with the adhesions now. Your site has been a wealth of information for me from pre-op to hrt. My ob/gyn rolled his eyes when I pulled out a huge list of questions but I'm feeling more in control the more knowledge I hold. I can't say I've got a real positive attitude going into this, but I've accepted the fact that it must be done and I'm into the next stage of my life, as a woman. You see, I will have had infertility, births, and hysterectomy all in one decade! LOL! I know I'll do well in surgery, (doc says so), however, I'm not ready for the HRT rollercoaster. I've decided to go with bioidentical patch but need to know if anyone out there gained water weight with this type of therapy? I'm previously a fitness instructor, 105 lbs. and not looking forward to getting fat. Any advice?

Deb
adenomyosis, endometriosis, uterine prolapse/enlargemt
scarring/adhesions, rectocele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 01:09 PM

Hi Deb, welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I'm 37 and had a TAH for almost the exact same symptoms you describe. I was in so much pain that I couldn't stand or sit and I was bleeding for 3 out of 4 weeks a month.

I'm so glad you found this site and armed yourself with information!

Since I have my ovaries, I cannot tell you about HRT, except for my brief experiences. I had been put on Premarin for hormonal balancing along with Prempro later that same year. Neither one of them made me gain weight, although I was battling the effects as I still had my ovaries. So, I cannot tell you what you will expect. Have you discussed that with your doctor? He may know if there is that side-effect.

I'm glad you are here!

Sara
Unread 04-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Thanks

Thanks Sara for your support. It's nice to know there are others that are/have experienced the same thing as I. I'll probably jump to the hormone forum on this site to research hrt side effects. God bless you for dealing with 3wks of bleeding per mos! Luckily, I only bled for 3 days but couldn't get off the toilet. I've since taken slow fe iron and bleeding is controllable. You didn't mention in your hyster story if they checked your hormone levels b4 and after surgery. Did they?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 03:17 PM
Hi Deb

Welcome to Hyster Sisters! This is absoulutely the best site around and I am so glad I have found it. It has made the waiting bearable. I have had so many questions answered and I didn't even have to ask them. I too will be having my c-section scar opened to have the surgery performed. My main problem is massive adhesions which have literally made my insides a mess. Hyster Sisters will not only provide you with information but with support from the wonderful women who make up this site. Women who have either been through surgery already or who are waiting like us.
Unread 04-21-2002, 03:23 PM

Hi
I am on the Vivelle Dot patch - and have gained no weight with it. I do think tho - in the first 2 -3 wks. I felt breast soreness and maybe a little water weight - but that all dissapeared. For all I know it was due to the surgery and not the patch. I will have been on it 6 wks. tomorrow and I think it is the greatest!
Unread 04-21-2002, 06:21 PM

Deb, yes they did check my hormone levels, but since I was seen by many different doctors and now I'm not on hormones and have been through a hyster, yay, I will be making my appt. tomorrow morning for lab work. I'm heading to my 8th week post-op, wow, times flies and I think it's time to really see what's going on.

to you!!

Sara
Unread 04-21-2002, 07:56 PM

Deb,
Welcome..this site is the best! I just had a LAVH/BSO for adeno and requested estrate, they put me on 2mg daily...I know its early, only 5 days post op, but so far so good, I actually feel better emotionally than I have in years (except the fatigue that is from the surgery). I have actually lost 8 pounds, so no weight gain with HRT for me yet....Its hard to say how I feel, still a little sore, but the pain and bleeding (clotting) got to be so much that it was controlling my life! I am only 31 and had both ovaries removed..doc felt this was for the best since I did so well with Lupron! I hope all goes good for you and if you have any concerns or questions this is the place to be!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register