Has anyone been having second thoughts... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone been having second thoughts... Has anyone been having second thoughts...

Unread 04-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Has anyone been having second thoughts...

Hi all,
I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO on May 2 and now after waiting for the past 4 weeks, I am beginning to get scared and have second thoughts. I still have 10 days to go! Has anyone else felt this way just before surgery. I woke up yesterday and had decided that there was no way that I was going through with it, then I had pain and said that it better hurry up and come cause I can't wait. Is this normal? I am also getting more nervous as time goes by. I had put all surgical thoughts out of my head for the past 4 weeks, but they are coming now. Please tell me that this is normal and I'm really not going nuts. I know I need this surgery, had second opinions and I need it. I would appreciate any help at all. Thanks.

Candida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 02:00 PM
you are not alone

You are not alone hun, I had 2nd, 3rd and fourth thoughts It is very normal. One day I couldn't wait to get it over with and the next day I was ready to cancel. I am 6 months post op now and doing great. Now I don't know why I waited so long. You will do great. Best wishes to you.

's
Unread 04-21-2002, 02:08 PM

Believe me you are not alone!!!!!!!
I go through this every day-----all I can think about is this upcoming surgery. It seems like when I try to imagine something else it will pop right back in. I have so many fears!
This board has help with those fears but they are always going to be there.
My surgery was changed from May 1st to May 15th--so then I thought it was a sign should I still go through this????
Yes I need to and I will but I am scared ----they all say the waiting is the worst.
Best wishes to you and here is a to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 02:18 PM

They told me the waiting really was the hardest part and they were sooooooooo right! I am now 12 days post op and can't believe it's over. I had to wait nearly 3 months after scheduling until my surgery date.

I went from being estatic over the fact that I would no longer have pain and have to deal with periods each month to crying like a little baby. No matter what my family did it was wrong.

The best thing to do is to keep busy. My son was in a bowling tourney the weekend before my surgery. It was great. I had no time to think about it and the time flew.

Your feelings are very normal. You are about to undergo Major Surgery. If you are like me, you've never had to have major surgery and the thought can be very scary.

Remember keep yourself busy and try not to get to worried. Before you know it you will have gone from a to a ! Good Luck!

Unread 04-21-2002, 02:30 PM

Thanks everyone for you replies. I am glad to know that I'm not alone in this and I'm not going nuts like I thought I was. I will sure be happy once this waiting is over. It is enough to drive you insane. Thanks again for you replies.

Candida
Unread 04-21-2002, 02:42 PM
Hubbie Chat

Friday night, we were on my way to my parent's house for burritoes because I was starvin' marvin'. Once again, we're on the subject. He said, "You're not even thinking of the benefits of why your going in." He was right.

Currently, I've placed my thoughts on what will happen after, and left little thought of the before. He also assured me that he will be there with me. He's been through 15 surgeries, 7 major.

You can read my story on "Pinkie's First Time Introduction". I even cancelled it. So, I too can relate.

Hope this helps.

Pinkie
Unread 04-21-2002, 02:44 PM

Yep, you're right on track.

The reason everyone says waiting is the hardest part is that it's really hard! You get second thoughts, doubts, fears. You make out your will and write letters to your loved ones Just In Case. You convince yourself that whatever you're suffering, it's not really that bad. You read about post-op complications and convince yourself that a) they will happen to you, and b) you couldn't possibly stand it if they did.

And then you start worrying that you won't get to have the surgery -- that you'll get sick, that those stress-related chest pains are actually a heart attack, that the hospital or doc will have to reschedule, that there will be a freak blizzard in May that prevents you from getting out your driveway, that you'll oversleep the day of surgery so you'll miss your window, etc.

It's all totally normal. Everyone post-op probably went through something like that. Major surgery is really scary, and this one particularly has a lot of emotion involved, even if you don't want kids or are done having them. Hysterectomy is so personal, somehow.

Just remember to breathe. You're doing the hardest part already: waiting. I got into serious panic mode about 2 days pre-op -- short of breath, couldn't sleep, so anxious it felt like every muscle fiber in my body was tense and cramping.

Chances are excellent you will sail through surgery. You'll be amazed at how fast the pre-op stress dissipates once you're on the other side.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 04-21-2002, 03:04 PM

All this time waiting for our surgery dates...gives us so much to think about things. Up until last week I was very calm and resigned to the fact that I was having this done. All of a sudden one day out of the blue I just freaked out. When I get the pain from the massive amount of adhesions I have... then I know that I have to do this. Honey, best of luck to you and try to think about feeling better when it's all over. I know this is sometimes easier said than done.
Unread 04-21-2002, 03:55 PM
Jitters

My surgery is tomorrow morning at 7:30 am and youbetcha I have second thoughts. Have been getting more anxious by the day this week. Haven't had a full night sleep for about 4 days. Most of my pain is before and during my period which ended a week ago. Since I'm not in alot of pain this minute I'm thinking- do I really want to go through this?

Just read the posts about the stickers and am alleviating stress by making stickers for all over my body- on my chest "breast enlargement", my hips and thighs "liposuction" and of course one for a "tummy tuck" under my belly button.

My DH is also starting to stress out which, while cute and heartwarming, is making it worse for me! Argh!!!
Unread 04-21-2002, 06:18 PM

Jacsmoore I will be thinking good thoughts and praying for you tomorrow!

Candida, I had second thoughts, all the way up to the second I went onto the gurney in the OR! You are totally normal and so very human.

Everyone knows this, but, I have to say it, the waiting is the worst part, really!

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register