Has anyone been having second thoughts... - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone been having second thoughts... Has anyone been having second thoughts...

Unread 04-21-2002, 09:32 PM
Has anyone been having second thoughts...

Hey sweetie! Just wanted to let you know that we all have second thoughts! Mine was scheduled for Monday, April 22nd - until I cancelled about a week ago! Then my DR promptly called me back and rescheduled me for May 13th. So now I am sitting here thinking -- this was the night I was supposed to be preparing for this surgery tomorrow. Please don't cancel. It is so very important for you to have this done, otherwise your dr wouldn't recommend it to be done. These are not "elective" surgeries. Like my dr explained, there are serious medical problems that need to be addressed and no one deserves to live in pain. There are a lot of questions that pop up in your mind; like me, I am only 25 and here I am. BUT DON'T cancel. I did, and now I am sorry that I have to WAIT again instead of having it tomorrow morning - and being done with it and on the road to recovery! So please remember, waiting is truly the hardest part. See ya on the other side!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 12:03 AM

Dear Candida, Monday is my day for surgery. I am so glad that it is here. It is not an easy decision to make and it is normal to have 2nd thoughts. Today was a day of reflection, thinking about what brought me to make this decision, I decided that with all the pain and abnormal bleeding it is time. No more fooling myself that it is going to stop on its own.

During the last few months of waiting I have had the opportunity to speak with a therapist about my feeling of losing what I felt made me a woman. Now I realize it is an organ that just isn't working for me anymore and without it I will still be a woman.

I am older than you are but after reading your web page know that you have suffered even more than I have. I will be praying that all your fears will be alleviated and you will be confident with your decision.

I am thankful to God also, that you have supportive parents helping you through this.

Linda
Unread 04-22-2002, 06:43 AM

Oh, oh, oh. I'm right there with you. Since I don't always have pain, I think I can go right on ignoring my large cyst and enlarged uterus and forget about the fibroids. However, when I am in pain, I'm ready to rush to the hospital, fling myself on a gurney, gas myself and slice my own belly before lying down just to speed things along.

I was doing pretty good until somewhere along one of these threads ONE person mentioned the possibility of post-op complications, and now ALL the good feelings I had about this just went down the toilet. I feel like I'm starting over.

We're all in the same boat. All of us want relief, but not many of us are feeling up to going through any pain to get there. I keep telling myself "I'm glad I'm not having bypass surgery."

I don't know how I'm going to make it to the hospital unless I'm in pain. I can't see myself willingly getting into the car knowing where I'm going and why. I'm afraid of having to be admitted into the coronary care unit before the OR!

I was looking forward to the 6 weeks recovery time. No work for 6 weeks. But if I'm going to be feeling "not like myself," well, I don't know. Maybe I won't be able to catch up on anything.

You are not alone in your feelings. Believe us! I can't believe I'm actually going to do this? Am I crazy? I don't even know anymore.

I have my pre-op dr. appt. this week. I feel like my dr. must already think, "Oh, no, not that nutcase again!" Although her nurse assures me this is normal.

Maybe they can put me to sleep now, and wake me up in the middle of June. I could handle that!

Good luck to you on the 5th. I'll be thinking of you on the 1st for sure!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 06:52 AM
LOL

Bonnie,

I love your suggestion--put me out now and wake me in six weeks. LOL.

My doctor offered to let me stay awake during the surgery and I told him absolutely not. I told him I wanted to sleep until it didn't hurt anymore!

I'll be praying for you during surgery.

Nancy
Unread 04-22-2002, 10:29 AM

Hey all,
Thanks to everyone who replied with their stories and info. While reading your posts, I laughed and I cried. I especially liked the suggestion of being put asleep now and wake me up when I'm all done and healed. Sounds good to me!! Thanks for all the hugs, thoughts, and prayers. For everyone who is having and have had surgery before they read this, I pray that everything goes well and wish you all a speed and good recovery. It really helps knowing that I'm not alone and there are others who feel the same way about this surgery as I do. Thanks again for all your help.

Candida

Teenage Endometriosis Page
http://gurlpages.com/cg_bubbles/index.html

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register