pre-op | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-21-2002, 09:18 PM
pre-op

Could someone please explain to me all about pre-op. I don't know what all in includes and what is this about a liquid diet? I have to revisit my Dr. on the 28 that is 6 days before surgery and get my papers and blood work and that is all the "scheduler" told me. She said it was no big deal. Will I have to drink the "stuff"? Will I have an enema (that word makes me get cringe)? I was wondering about doing the bladder-- I am calling tomorrow morning to talk to my Dr. after posting I realized I should just go ahead and get it all fixed. And there is a problem unless (as maralyn said) I decide never to jump on a trampoline, run water, or squat again and at my age that would be obserd (21). For having surgery in 10 days have I waited to late ? I don't want to reschedule.
Thanks everyone for all of your support "HS" is great !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Hi Mandy

All of our doctor's are different in terms of what they require, or don't, to make sure you are cleaned out inside.
Your doctor will tell you on the 28th what he requires. Or you could probably call ahead and ask his nurse if you are anxious to know.
I had one day of fasting and drinking the go-litely. I did not have to have an enema. But we all get different instructions.
And also let your doctor know right away if you are having bladder problems that might need to be taken care of during surgery. I had a fibroid pushing on my bladder which was causing the problem. So you may or may not need something done.
Let us know if we can answer any more questions.
Good luck to you.
Unread 04-22-2002, 06:39 AM
Pre op

Mandy,

At my appointment where we decided I needed the surgery, I was too overwhelmed to know what questions to ask. I was told then that I would have a pre-op appointment a few days before the surgery.

Well, my surgery is still nearly five weeks away and I just couldn't wait until my pre op for answers to some questions.

I called the office last week and gave the nurse a list of questions: what medications to discontinue prior to surgery, enema issue, douche issue, etc. I told her I just had some things I had to get straight in my head and didn't want to wait until a few days before surgery. She took all my questions and called me back within 30 minutes. She was very understanding.

I do not need an enema or a douche, as several folks have had. I was very glad about that. I wanted to clairfy discontinuation of some of the meds I take, St. John's Wort, Ginkoba. The doctor did not have a recommendation about them, but I read on the boards here that they may cause problems, so I plan to stop them both, as well as the ibuprofen I take daily.

I felt much better after talking to them. I expect the pre-op will be an opportunity to sit down with the doctor and get answers to my long list of questions, have an explanation of the surgery, a tour of the hospital areas I'll be using, lab work. I am also hoping to get the post-op prescriptions, so they can be filled and waiting when I get home from the castle.

Feel free to call the doctor's office with questions. I would think they should be happy to have a well-informed patient. Good luck.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 06:47 AM
pre-op

The day before my surgery I was given an enema to use at home.This site is great for learning what questions to ask the doctor also, as you read you get a dozen questions. The worst for me was the wait for the surgery. After you wake up from surgery its like a huge weight has been lifted. Good luck on yours

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register