previous caesars now a total - help | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

previous caesars now a total -  help previous caesars now a total - help

Unread 04-21-2002, 11:23 PM
previous caesars now a total - help

Hi I have had four kids with caesars plus 2 ectopic pregnancies and now I need a total hysterectomy next Tuesday (30) and am worried. My incision just doesn't seem to heal that great anymore and my youngest is 12 months old so I am still run down. Have any of you previously had caesars ? What can I expect. Also my doctor recommends an implant - but I don' t know and really need to hear from others that have had this.
help please for a panic stricken me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 12:10 AM
welcome!

Hi, Kerri! Welcome to HysterSisters! A lot of us here have had previous c-sections, and some even had to have a hyst right after their baby was delivered. It is difficult to have a baby to care for while you recover from major surgery, so you really need to have help at home with the kids for a couple weeks. Even after the first 2 weeks, you won't be able to lift your baby (usually nothing over 5-10 lbs.), so you will have to plan for some help with lifting, housework, etc. Your dr will give you specific post op instructions.

I had 2 previous c-sections, and usually the dr will cut on both sides of the old scar and lift it out so that a new scar will form and heal better. You can ask your dr what she plans to do, especially if your old scar does not seem to be completely healed after 12 months. After your hyst, it will help to make sure the incision is completely dry after a shower, by lifting up the fold of skin and patting the incision dry or by using a hair blower on the cool setting. An incision that stays moist can become infected and not heal quickly.

Has your dr said that you need your ovaries removed for sure? You may want her to check them during surgery, and leave them intact if they still look healthy. Then you wouldn't need HRT. I'm not very familiar with the estrogen implant, so I don't know the pros and cons of that form of HRT. (I'm taking Estrace pills and have felt great on them.)

Continue reading and researching, and ask any questions you come up with. We'll try to answer them, and we'll be here to see you through this journey! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 04-22-2002, 04:48 AM

Hi Kerri! Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

I have had 4 c-sections, 2 with kiddos, 1 with a tubal and one with a hyster. I had a horizonta, vertical, vertical and the hyster was a horizontal. Do you know what kind of incision you are getting? I didn't know until after I woke up in my room. They thought I had fibriods and couldn't tell if my uterus was free moving until I was under the general. Imagine my surprise when I woke up! I was expecting to lose my ovaries and have a vertical incision! I prepared myself for the worst as I really didn't know what was going to happen, what they were going to find inside me, neither did they! Remember, everyone is different from surgery to post-op. I happen to heal quickly, I found this out with this surgery.

My kiddos helped all they could and hubby was home for 2 weeks with me. I was a spoiled for sure!

Have you read the pull down menus yet? You can find them at http://www.hystersisters.com There is a lot of wonderful information there that helped me!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 06:05 AM
thanks

thanks so much - I believe the ovaries are completely gone - the left one is covered in cysts and could not be found in the ultrasound - the right has a 4cm complex cyst and is pretty bad. The pain I experience at the moment is like a constant period pain all day and night so I am turning in to Cruella Da Ville at home! My resistence level is very low - I have been getting things like ear infections etc., because I am run down and sooo emotional at the moment. The incision I am having will be a low pelvic bikini line one - at the moment I have two which look like train tracks so I presume this will be along one of these - I am hoping she will clean up the incision site as well. Eventually when I save up enough money the tummy tuck will happen!!! not yet though! My husband works from home so he will be around, but I have no family - mum and dad both deceased - and the thing which I get worried about is that my mother nearly died when she had her hysterectomy - so I am very very nervous. I usually jump back after things but after the last caesar (I had pre-eclampsia) I just couldn't get back into action quickly and found that I really struggled physically. Now the thought of four kids and feeling that way terrifies me. Thank god I have found this site or else I just wouldn't be able to talk to anyone. I think this site is wonderful, and although I am halfway around the world (i'm in Australia) I really am grateful for anyone to just share any words with me at this moment.
Unread 04-22-2002, 02:38 PM

Kerrie, you poor thing, you sound like you are in a bad way. But at least you have found us....the best place to be when facing a hysterectomy and even though you ( and I ) are all the way across the other side of the world , the care and concern is for us as well. Isnt that great !!!

Now first off.... I had one caesar before my hyster and I had a LAVH... honestly it is the best thing I have ever done. It is frightening and there is some pain associated with it but I found that the pain management was pretty bearable. You must rest for quite awhile after the op to prevent complications.

I suggest going to the HORMONE JUNGLE and posting about your concerns with the implant. There are lots of experts there and one is an aussie ( Lily) and what she doesnt know about HRT in Australia is probably not worth knowing

Also there is a special forum for us aussie ladies - The neighbourhoods , where australian girls can post .This forum is really a friendship forum and we are growing in number. Check it out when you have time. By the way... where in Australia do you live ?

Please email me at anytime , I am willing to try and help at anytime. love and hugs xxx

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register