new and looking for some answers | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new and looking for some answers new and looking for some answers

Unread 04-22-2002, 01:10 AM
new and looking for some answers

Hi there everyone. I must say that I am glad that I found this site. There has been a lot of useful information here, and now I am going to pick your brains.

I'll start by saying that I am young (25), and was wondering how other people my age with no children (or with) are dealing with the trials and tribulations of having a hyst at/about this age. I don't seem to be having any problems (yet), and wondered what some of the major difficulties are/were that you have encountered. My parents have been extremely supportive, as have my co-workers and my best friend (who by all rights is my sister, except by blood, and has offered to be a surrogate if that is what I want down the road).

Another question that I have is that of hrt, or should I say, lack of hrt. When I was 22, I took Lupron for four months (menopause in a shot ). For about three weeks, I had symptoms of menopause , mostly, and after that, everything leveled off and I didn't have any problems what so ever. Has anyone else experienced this? If you have, are you on hrt? Why? Does any one know of a link where I can compare the benefits of hrt vs. no hrt? I never have had any fun with bcp's. I was switched from dose to dose for about two years, talk about mood swings! Looking for all the help I can get on this one, still up in the air if I am going to be able to keep my left ovary or not.

My third question is this... spinal vs. epidural? I probably won't be able to have a pain pump because me and narcotics just don't get along, and my doctor says that an epidural would be the best way to go for pain control. Here's my problem... I had a spinal from the A man last June for surgery (my old hospital did not get my records to my new hospital in time ), needless to say, I had some problems with my lower back and my feet going numb the next day. I was not very happy with that at all! My doc says teh epidural goes into a different place in the spinal column. I'm still extremly nervous about the whole epidural thing because of the problems I had with the spinal. (Did I mention that it took four people to hold me down and five pokes after I had already received a sedation med through my iv? My doc is no small man either, he's built like a linebacker and was one of the people holding my down!) Help!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening (reading). I appreciate any help that I can get at this point.

Lori

TAH/BSO, June 5, 2002 (Possible bladder issues)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 02:46 AM

Hi Lori

I just wanted to welcome you to HysterSisters. I can't help you with any of your questions because:
1. I'm older than you and have kids.
2. I never had lupron shots and I am on HRT.
3. I had a general for this surgery, I had a spinal once years ago and really can't remember much about it, except it kind of freaked me out that I couldn't feel my legs for a few hours.

I'm sure there will be other sisters along who can help you out. You may want to try the Hormone Jungle about HRT, the ladies there are great.

You are very lucky that you have a strong support system.

Good luck!
Unread 04-22-2002, 03:47 AM

Lori and welcome to Hyster Sisters! I'm glad you found us!

I know that there are concerns you have right now about your age, have you used the search feature? I do remember seeing some posts from women your age going through what you are. I will try and dig up some links for you!

Have you looked at the pull-down menus on the main page yet? Hyster Sisters There is a ton of information in these. I was armed and ready for the doctors with about 30 questions after I read these!

Sara

Pssssssssssst Lori, here's some links for you!

Aching Hearts <------------- an excellent resource for you!

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

I found these using the search feature. Please let me know if you need any help, email is always on!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 06:16 AM

I'm much older than you are, so I can't really address the age issue. I'm on HRT and have no problems whatsoever. No symptoms at all and I'm 6 months post-op. I'd like to address your spinal vs. epidural issue. I had a spinal with my first c-section and epidurals with the second c-section and my hysterectomy. There is no comparison. I had the same reaction you did to the spinal including freaking out and becoming claustrophobic. They had to give me morphine BEFORE the spinal wore off just to calm me down so they could sew me up.

The epidural was wonderful! First of all, unlike a spinal, you can still move your legs. It only numbs the abdominal area. Second, they can immediately begin pain meds directly into the epidural which keeps you from having to take systemic pain meds that make you groggy. This is important because you can get up and walk within a day of the surgery and begin the healing process. Moving around as soon after surgery as the doctor will allow, is a great way to get back on your feet quicker.
Unread 04-22-2002, 06:54 AM

Hi Lori,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters - this is the most supportive forum I have ever belonged to.

You are very young for this procedure - and you are not experiencing any problems....can you please expand on why your doctor is recommending a hysterectomy?

I'll be 38 in June and have been married for almost 20 years, we do not have children but we didn't plan on having any. I just want to make sure you're comfortable with your doctor and that you have exhausted all possible solutions before proceeding with such a final solution.
Unread 04-22-2002, 08:02 AM

Thanks for all of your responses! The support here is absolutely awesome!

Mary Lou- I have looked at the Hormone Jungle, and I really didn't see anything about not taking HRT

Sara- I have checked out the pull down menus, there is a lot of stuff there. They are really helpful. Thank you for the links, as soon as I get a little more free time, I will check them out.

Lisa- Sorry about the freaking out and claustrophobia with your spinal. My new hospital didn't get my records from my other hospital and since I've been known to have problems, the said that would be the safest way to go. When I woke up from it, I woke up backwards (they said my hips were supposed to wake up first, nope, not me, it was my feet) and was fine for the rest of the day other than my back being a little sore. The next day my mom went home and the doc said that I could resume normal activites if I felt well enough. I did and I decided to drive to the college and take care of some paper work. I got 3/4 of the way there and started having problems, and then I was pretty much out of comission the rest of the day. Needless to say, I'm a little leary of someone putting something in my back again. Granted I'll still be getting the general for the surgery and the epidural for pain control, I just don't know. What you had to say does make it a little easier though (I think).

Donna- I guess that I didn't make clear what I was trying to get across. Physically I do have problems, excessive bleeding, dysplasia, adhesions, endo and last but not least HPV. I had a cervical ablation two weeks ago and I have been bleeding just a little bit ever since. I've already had my check up and everything is fine with the healing, it's just me bleeding through my pills (again). I take them continuously so as to help with the monthly flow of things, and it has helped a little bit, but I still have bleeding that I shouldn't have, and it generally lasts about two weeks. What I was trying to convey was that I really don't have a problem with this emotionally. I know that this is a permanent procedure, and my doc and I have been over all of my surgeries and all of the different meds that I have been/am on and medically he does agree with the hyst. His concern is my age, as it should be. He is a very good doctor and takes all of my concerns seriously and listens when I tell him that something isn't right. Therefore I trust his opinion. I also know how to do my homework (something I learned early on from docs that didn't take me seriously and listen to what I had to say) and my doc knows that.

Thank you all for your concerns. I am so blessed to have found this board. It's nice to know that there are people out there who "watch your back" about the permanent stuff in life.

Lori
Unread 04-22-2002, 08:08 AM

Hi Lori,

Try this link as well: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=21536 It's to the no hormone desert.

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register