Scheduled LAVH Very Nervous Hysterectomy (LAVH/BSO) on Nov. 12 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very Nervous Hysterectomy (LAVH/BSO) on Nov. 12 Very Nervous Hysterectomy (LAVH/BSO) on Nov. 12

Unread 11-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Very Nervous Hysterectomy (LAVH/BSO) on Nov. 12

I am scheduled for a LAVH/BSO on Nov. 12, 2014. I am scared because it will be the first surgery I've had where I'll be staying in the hospital. I am 44 almost 45 years old. Anyone have any suggestions on how to cope with this. I am already on Ativan for anxiety since Sept. I live alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Re: Very Nervous Hysterectomy (LAVH/BSO) on Nov. 12

Hello,
I am getting surgery the day before you. I, too, am nervous. So, I started to find things to do to prepare for my surgery. Today, I made a pork and currently making meatballs. Tomorrow, I want to make soup (comfort food). I also started to make lists. Lists for me for what I am making, lists for what I am taking to the hospital, lists for my parents who will be taking care of some of my kids, lists for pick up times for kids/kids after school activities, lists for my husband to make sure he knows what is going on (I swear the man has no idea what I do all day at work and at home!)
I am going to make a list of books that I can download for free from the library and download them the day before my surgery. I just found Hystersisters yesterday and this is my second post. I am keeping myself informed. I am keeping busy. I am keeping the worries at bay by being busy. We can do this. We are strong women. We are going to one day post our experiences on our hysterectomy on this wonderful site. When I saw "sisters" in this, I knew that other women would understand my feelings. I hope that this helps you! Smile....you can and will concur next Wednesday and you will be stronger because of it!
Unread 11-05-2014, 09:36 AM

Another november 11 here. Scared too. I also am having lavh. Scared to be put to sleep, scared of vaginal cuff, scared of complications. I think I'm scaring my own self lol.
Good luck ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2014, 11:29 AM

I'm having my LAVH on Nov 10. I'm very nervous as well. Mostly just thinking if I should wait and live in pain longer, or go ahead with it! I'm scaring myself out of it. I hope you'll recover well. Start making little meals you can freeze, that will help you with meals. I've prepared things for my husband to make for us. It helps take your mind off of it a bit. I think I'm going to need some pre-medication for my anxiety!
Unread 11-06-2014, 11:48 AM

Hi ladies,
It's perfectly ok to have fears about this surgery, or any type.

Iamatoughcookie has some great ideas for preparations (I love lists too!). I didn't have but about 2 weeks to prepare and I was like a mad woman trying to clean up, do laundry, grocery shop, and prepare the house to be "post-op" friendly. I live with my elderly mom and I tried to make things easy for her (my helper), as she has her own set of illnesses.

TSisscared, you may want to ask friends or family to check in on you regularly that first week and periodically afterwards. Keep your phone handy at all times.

I think everyone will be fine. Focus on making things plush for yourselves, it will take time to heal.

Good luck!
Unread 11-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Hello,
I love lists. It makes me feel in control. BUT, today I went for pre-admissions testing and it all came together for me. Two weeks ago, I was there for pre-ad testing for my d and c which was last week. Now, I am having a hysterectomy next Tuesday. I might be becoming a little wacky! My thoughts are crazy, I cry 1/4 of the day, I have limited appetite (most likely from last weeks surgery), and 0 % amount of energy. I want to be like the smile guy over here that is jumping around:
My probem is vaginal bleeding. I have been dealing with it for over twenty years. Crazy, huh? In the last five years, it got awful plain awful. Funny thing, I am taking meds now to have this bleeding stop, and here I am still having it. But it is not gushing. Thank God. My house is such a mess. I am so afraid that someone will come and give me food and see my tornado and diryty house.
In my mind, I keep telling myself that this time next week, I will be itching to come home (well...as long as the house is cleaned. lol). So, ladies, my one fear is that I will pass gass when vistors come to see me. What is your fear!?
Have a great day!
Unread 11-06-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamatoughcookie View Post
Hello,
I love lists. It makes me feel in control. BUT, today I went for pre-admissions testing and it all came together for me. Two weeks ago, I was there for pre-ad testing for my d and c which was last week. Now, I am having a hysterectomy next Tuesday. I might be becoming a little wacky! My thoughts are crazy, I cry 1/4 of the day, I have limited appetite (most likely from last weeks surgery), and 0 % amount of energy. I want to be like the smile guy over here that is jumping around:
My probem is vaginal bleeding. I have been dealing with it for over twenty years. Crazy, huh? In the last five years, it got awful plain awful. Funny thing, I am taking meds now to have this bleeding stop, and here I am still having it. But it is not gushing. Thank God. My house is such a mess. I am so afraid that someone will come and give me food and see my tornado and diryty house.
In my mind, I keep telling myself that this time next week, I will be itching to come home (well...as long as the house is cleaned. lol). So, ladies, my one fear is that I will pass gass when vistors come to see me. What is your fear!?
Have a great day!
I worry about that too! So funny. I thought I was the only one. I hope your surgery goes well. It sounds as if it will be a relief for you. I'm going to start making lots of lists between now and Monday. Good luck everyone. I'll be thinking about all of us!
Unread 11-06-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiefreeyes View Post
Hi ladies,
It's perfectly ok to have fears about this surgery, or any type.

Iamatoughcookie has some great ideas for preparations (I love lists too!). I didn't have but about 2 weeks to prepare and I was like a mad woman trying to clean up, do laundry, grocery shop, and prepare the house to be "post-op" friendly. I live with my elderly mom and I tried to make things easy for her (my helper), as she has her own set of illnesses.

TSisscared, you may want to ask friends or family to check in on you regularly that first week and periodically afterwards. Keep your phone handy at all times.

I think everyone will be fine. Focus on making things plush for yourselves, it will take time to heal.

Good luck!
Thanks for your advice! I called my surgeon today because I am getting so afraid. He said he would be worried if I wasn't. He was very reassuring and said they will take good care of me. I know your surgeons probably feel the same way. I have a few more days to try and relax and wean myself from watching hysterectomy videos on YouTube!
Unread 11-07-2014, 12:14 AM

Ladies,
Does anyone know whether you bring your own meds to the hospital with you or they give you them. They didn't tell me when I spoke with them.
I am getting more and more nervous day by day, even though I love my surgeon. She did my d & C and ablation last year and it stopped my bleeding except for fibroids. I also have to have the LAVH/BSO because my mom died of ovarian cancer in 2001. I could have waited three more years if I didn't have the fibroids. My surgeon said she wanted my parts out 10 years or more younger than the age at which my mom was diagnosed as a prophylactic measure against ovarian cancer. I hope my sister's doctor is as good as mine is. My sister is two years younger than me. She will be 43 the day before Thanksgiving, so maybe she might have 5 or 6 more years if she doesn't have other problems.
I, too am trying to run around like a mad woman trying to clean, do laundry, grocery shop and make my lists before Wed. Nov. 12th. I am scared that even though I trust my surgeon something will go wrong like uncontrolled bleeding where I'll have to get the big incision in my tummy. My surgeon, Dr. Fuller told me that there was maybe only a 5% chance of that. But I tend to make that 5% chance larger and dwell on it instead of the 95%. Is anyone else thinking like me?
Unread 11-07-2014, 01:22 AM

I'm in Australia & had mine done in a private hospital and was asked to bring all my medication in the actual labelled boxes with me. pretty much all hospitals here, whether private or public will ask you to bring your medication with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register