HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What is a bladder sling and/or bladder tack? What is a bladder sling and/or bladder tack?

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:54 AM
What is a bladder sling and/or bladder tack?

Hi,
Sorry for the silly question but I keep seeing info on here about a bladder sling and bladder tack. Plus I've seen where a few women have had to have another surgery to get one. What is it?

I am supposed to find out my date for surgery today after I have a uterine biopsy. The question is on my list for the Dr. but I'd like another point of view.

After the surgery, does your bladder and rectum move? Is this a preemptive move to keep things in place? Should I ask for one? I have had no problems with my bladder since my one and only child DD in 12/94. During pregnancy though, she sat on my bladder and I had to wear a catheter for 2 weeks.

I am in good shape, petite, slightly underweight and have a few blood issues that we are trying to clear up. They thought I had leukemia which has been ruled out but they can't pinpoint the problem. My WBC is extremely low, RBC is low with abnormal shapes cells, platelets are small and hemoglobin is low. They say I am anemic but I have almost a toxic level of iron in my blood....to the point of being told by the hematologist NO vitamins except b6 and be careful about eating iron rich foods.

Also, I am so nervous about this procedure. You guys will think I am so stupid, but here goes........ worry list 1. I will be forgotten and left in some room totally naked and unable to help myself? 2. I'll be placed on a table like some piece of meat in a butcher shop 3. Nurses will come in and do as they please with no compassion for me? 4. Are most personnel at the hospital respectful of your needs?

I am very ready to go ahead with this surgery to feel better and reclaim my life. My worries seem trivial. I am not scared to be naked when I am in control but I am nervous about personnel, etc around me while I am "laid out". Do they really respect you and you retain your dignity?

Thank you for your information and support.
Susan

surgery date TBA. Fibroids, polyps, cramping, spotting, past history with cervical cancer.
Unread 04-23-2002, 11:24 AM

Hi Susan and welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

I found this link http://www.wdxcyber.com/nurine05.htm to answer some of your questions about bladder surgery. I learned something as well, reading it, so thank you for asking!

I also have this link for you http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=29372 It is a lot of links on a page that we have gathered!

You are not being silly or scared by thinking the worst things will happen to you in the castle! You are totally normal with these thoughts. I was very convinced that I would either die on the table after the hyster was done or that my hubby would not be there waiting for me when I was done. Of course, neither of those happened...but you are totally normal and HUMAN. I had wonderful people helping me in the castle and I'm sure you will too!

Please let us know how the uterine biopsy went, I had a uterine lining sampling done, my thoughts are with you!

Sara
Unread 04-24-2002, 06:21 AM

Hi Sara,
Thank you for your response and the website addresses. I learned some thing reading them.
I asked my Dr. on my visit yesterday and he said that I have a healthy, tight pelvic floor and the I would not need the bladder repair.
I was just curious because so many people talk about it here.
Have a good day!
Susan
Unread 04-24-2002, 07:36 AM

Hi Susan,

Very glad to hear that you won't need a bladder proceedure. I have to admit that planned proceedure actually is causing me more stress than the hysterectomy is. I also hope they find some answers to your blood disorder.

Now, as to your other concerns... As a nurse, please let me assure you that you will not be forgotten about in any place. In every area you are taken to in the hospital, you will have a nurse who is assigned to making sure you get where you are supposed to be and are not forgotten about. Nurses are highly skill, educated and generally caring individuals. We certainly do not go into the field for the pay!!! :-( Yes, some nurses are better than others, some are more outwardly caring than others, but the pay is not good enough to keep someone in the job who honestly hates their job.

One of the first things that a nurse is taught is to protect the patients dignity. Being an ER nurse that can sometimes be difficult when working with a critical patient. But that is still something that we do to the best of our ability. I can't think of any time that you will be left naked anywhere for any reason. When placed on the Operating room table, you will immediatly be covered with sheets until you are asleep and then covered with sterile drapes, exposing only the area the Dr. needs to work on.

I hope this helps. Keep us updated on your plans.

Caren
Unread 04-24-2002, 08:26 AM

Hi Susan! Welcome to sister/hysters! If your not addicted to this site you will be soon! Just wanted to let you know I had a bladder tack because my bladder (and rectum) were falling out of my vagina. I had no idea that this was not normal and waited until stage 3 to see a doctor. I really don't think dr's perform this procedure for the heck of it unless you really need it. So relax about that procedure and focus on the hyst part. Our ers are with you sweetie!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.