Scheduled TAH Upcoming hysterectomy: Bleeding after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Bleeding after surgery? Upcoming hysterectomy: Bleeding after surgery?

Unread 11-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Bleeding after surgery?

my TAH is scheduled for December 8th and I'm really excited and ready to get it done. I know I'll have a catheter after surgery, but will I be bleeding down there too and if so, how do you wear a pad with a catheter in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Re: Bleeding after surgery

I bled a very small amount. And kind of just stuck a pad in between my legs since I was in bed anyway. I did go for one walk with the cath in and no pad, but there was so little bleeding that I just wiped when I got back to bed.
Unread 11-16-2014, 02:21 PM

I had absolutely no bleeding after my TAH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2014, 02:28 PM

I had no bleeding after my TAH either

Chris
Unread 11-16-2014, 02:29 PM

Thanks ladies!
Unread 11-16-2014, 03:21 PM

Huh. I know I had a catheter during my three-day hospital stay. I also know that I wore the mesh panties the hospital gave me, that there were pads involved and that I had a small amount of bleeding. I know that I walked laps around the ward with the catheter in place while wearing the panties and pads.

I just can't for the life of me remember how it all went together. And that's not because I was stoned the whole time, I was only stoned the *first* day after surgery! *grin*

If I don't remember having problems with it, I'd suggest that it's not important enough to waste time worrying about.
Unread 11-16-2014, 03:33 PM

The pads they use are the giant maternity ward type. I had very little bleeding, had a giant pad in the hospital, pantiliner the next two days, and nothing since. Ymmv, my nurse said it's not unusual to bleed for two weeks, so don't freak out if you bleed longer than other ladies.

In the hospital they just had it wedged in between my legs around the catheter. No mesh panties for me. I walked with it and the catheter between my legs the first night, and it stayed in place. I was sort of out of it, but kept nagging the nurses to let me walk, so I'm not really sure how that worked out. I may be misremembering and they had me walk without the pad. The next day when they removed the catheter they still used the giant pad, but I wore my own boyshorts. The pad was overkill at that point, but the hospital doesn't have a lot of selection lol.
Unread 11-16-2014, 03:36 PM

I had a TAH BSO.

I had a catheter in for about 24 hours after surgery, and did have bleeding - small amount. I had a pad with mesh panties. I continued to have bleeding and discharge while I was in the hospital. In addition, my doctor told me to expect, and I did have, discharge for six weeks after surgery (ugh!). The discharge was clear, and sometimes yellow-waxy. I used the ultra-thin maxi pads and changed twice a day.

Everyone is different, but that was my experience.

Unread 11-16-2014, 05:14 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I'm so anxious and I keep trying to play out everything in my head.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register