True Confessions during surgery!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

True Confessions during surgery!! True Confessions during surgery!!

Unread 04-27-2002, 06:22 PM
True Confessions during surgery!!

Hi all----I had my surgery on Thursday and came home today. I had just a couple of tough times trying to get my pain managed but am doing much better now :=)

I had an epidural and some IV meds so no general anesthesia. Apparently I was quite chatty and discussed with the OR nurses how I'd danced the "Hokey-Pokey" while on a dinner cruise during a conference that I went to this past fall. I had no recall of the conversation at all when they mentioned it to me while I was in the recovery room!!! Fortunately I live a clean life so I didn't say anything too incriminating!!! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2002, 06:35 PM
Ya know...

There's a reason I'm going under general....

Tee hee!! Great story!

Chris

Unread 04-27-2002, 06:35 PM

First Welcome back

Second Yikes!!! I wanted an Epidural, but I don't know if I want to take any chances, I don't lead a bad life, but I wasn't exactly what you call innocent in my younger days.

I used to live in Oregon in 1996 in Portland. My DH is an Oregonian. It is definitely a beautiful state!!!

Take care and be careful don't let the pillow police catch you!

God Bless You!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2002, 07:07 PM

Thank you, I needed a smile today.

Glad all went well and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Unread 04-27-2002, 07:57 PM

Gee, I'm so glad someone brought this topic up!! I have been kind of wondering if it's possible I may say something really stupid, much less embarrassing, while I'm going under and coming out. Having general "a" (can't spell that word).

Does anyone know about that? Don't take me wrong, I love my husband, have been married for a long time, etc., etc, but I'm still a very human person, and by golly, my Dr. IS cute

What do you think? Should they/I tape my mouth shut before I go in???
Unread 04-27-2002, 10:19 PM
Talked when I came out of general

Hi Laura Jean

Well all I know from personal experience was when I had my first lap to diagnose my endo I had a gereral and I woke up saying thank-you over and over again and crying. Very embarrassing . My second surgery for lasering I woke up and was told I was talking in my sleep and they asked me if I wanted to know what I said. I replied very nicely "NO thank-you" The nurses said it is very common to talk while coming out. My sugestion would be to let them know before hand that if you do talk you just don't want to know. Saves you from turning red.

Hope this helps.
Kerri
Unread 04-28-2002, 04:23 AM
Jeannie You crack me up!

ROFL....your DR is cute huh? I bet his nurses could tell stories about all his patients that go under. I woke from a general following a C-section. Nurse was pressing on my belly and I said some very very rude things to her. Told her to get her hands off me or I would break her *******arm! I DO remember that!!! Then the next thing I knew I was in my room in my bed with no memory of getting there. Hubby says he came in later next day. Phone card was on my chest, and phone was off hook. Wonder who I was trying to call. LOL
Unread 04-28-2002, 05:37 AM

HAHAHA I have more stories to tell about my last c-section (epidural) than my hyst because I had general anesthesia but this is not the place to share them. Suffice it to say that I was in and out and did things like you did with the phone card/phone on lap that evening. LOL

With the hyst- I was just embarrassed by what a big cry baby I was afterwards. My goodness... just bawling for no reason. I was HAPPY that they had been able to do a tvh and when I asked and she told me- I just laid there and bawled and bawled. I don't know why.. must have been my reaction to the meds. They got worried about me for a bit there because I wouldn't stop crying and someone else in recovery had family with them-I could see them from the foot of my bed and they were looking at me like I was nuts. LOL

I can laugh about this now. LOL
Unread 04-28-2002, 08:02 AM

I was joking with my nurses while waiting to go into surgery - to please not to laugh if I said anything "goofy" while I was coming out of the general. I don't know if they were just being nice or what, but they said most people just are very pleasant and don't say anything too off the wall - but I don't think I believe them!! Then I figured they hear it every day, so it shouldn't be too big a deal!

Susan
Unread 04-28-2002, 12:32 PM

Hahahah, I am sure many women have said some very funny things. I do remember, just before going under general, turning to the anesthesiologist and admonishing, "Look, doctor--I am very, very smart--make sure I stay that way!" I even caught when he made a rude face at that remark.

And then my gyn later told me that when I woke up,I asked at least ten times, "Do I have my ovaries...I love sex...my ovaries?" She chuckled and said when she responded affirmatively, I punched my fist in the air like a sportscaster and hissed, "Yessssssss!"

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register