HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Intestinal Adhesions - Gas Pockets Intestinal Adhesions - Gas Pockets

Unread 05-01-2002, 05:40 AM
Intestinal Adhesions - Gas Pockets

For those of you suffering with intestinal adhesions, do you have problems with "gas pockets?" My GI said this is causing a lot of my pain and the gas is just unbelievable at times. Nothing I have tried so far has really helped. I am supposed to see my GI doctor again this month, but I am losing hope he can do anything to help me. I continue to have the bowel problems on a daily basis. I can sit in a chair and breathe deeply and you would not believe the sounds coming from the old gut - it is so embarrassing. He has given me Anti-D, but they do nothing but give me headaches, so they are definitely out!

Have any of you found any type of med. that eases the cramping/gas? Of course, I think some of this is just adhesion pain itself with some Endometriosis thrown in for good measure!

's

Lisa
Unread 05-01-2002, 06:34 AM
Hi Lisa

Yes I'm Back! I'm sore ! Talk about I have not gone since my surgery now i only take the painpills at night!
I'm sorry i really don't know what to say, i constantly have bowel problems too! I too have adhesions wrapped everywhere in there but hopefully i will get some relief! You might want to ask your GI doc for donnatal, or xnax or something that usually helps quite things down in there! Its so hard for us adhesion/endo suffers! Big 's to ya!!!!
Love Colette
Unread 05-01-2002, 06:56 AM

Thanks Colette!

I'll sure mention those to him. It sounds so trivial, but this is really causing major pain and embarrassment. I still have "the runs" and the constant cramping, gurgling, and moving around is getting worse instead of better. I didn't feel this much going on when I was pregnant! It is almost as though I am not even processing my food correctly. I am still getting allergy shots and taking food drops, so I don't think it is allergy related. I think it is all due to those nasty adhesions twisting my guts around. It's like playing TWISTER with your insides!

You take care of yourself sweetie! Big 's!

Lisa
Unread 05-01-2002, 08:42 AM

Hey Lisa, my pelvic physiotherapist said she felt adhesions on my intestines as well as my bowels.....I wonder if my surgeon will be able to do anything about that? Do you get wicked nausea as well with your?

I take phasyme or GasX and it seems to help quite abit, mind you I have more nausea then gas it seems, hang in there sweetie! 's!!
Unread 05-01-2002, 09:00 AM

Thanks Gidge! I used to get nausea once in a while and then it sort of went away. I do get pain in my right side really bad, I am all swollen and more gassy at night and I even get pain under my right rib cage although all tests say no problem with the gallbladder.

I have tried the anti-gas meds you mentioned, but I think mine is so much lower and in the intestinal track rather than the tummy, so it doesn't work for me. I wish they did!

I read about charcoal tablets on the adhesion board and wonder about those. Right now, I am getting desperate for some relief, but I still think some of it is the actual adhesions hurting and more Endo growing! I seem to keep a good crop of that going at all times!

Thanks sweetie - hugs to you also!

Lisa
Unread 05-01-2002, 09:05 AM

Hang in there, it's all we can do!! 's!!!
Unread 05-01-2002, 09:25 AM
I don't know what I call mine

I have similar problems. I get these sharp pains in my sides that take my breath away sometimes. I'm not sure what is causing mine. I strongly suspect adhesions. I go to the bathroom normal. I just get these cramping pains and back pains also.

I think I'm needing to see a GI. My gyn gave me this stool test to do. I haven't done it yet. It sounds kind of gross! I guess I need to do to rule out other things.

Another thing I notice is that these pains seem to cyclical. I get them really bad around certain times of the month. My gyn. didn't feel like this was endometriosis but I am strongly suspicious.

I hope you get some relief from all of your agony.
Unread 05-01-2002, 09:28 AM

Dara, my pain definitely gets worse at the end of the month (when I used to get my period) and then it gets somewhat better at the beginning of the month and then gradually gets worse as the month goes on, I think it's endo they never found but they don't see it when they're in there....I think it's under my adhesions!!!

Is yours like that too Lisa?
Unread 05-01-2002, 11:50 AM

Thanks Sisters!

Dara - don't worry about the test! Most of us on this board have suffered through so many invasive GI tests, a stool test would be a breeze! I know it sounds gross (and is I guess) but I would definitely do the test and see a GI doctor if you think you need to. At least that way, GI problems could be ruled out if none are found. For some reason, we all eventually end up at the GI's office before long.

Gidge - I haven't really noticed what time of the month the worst pains come. The chronic pain just gets worse from time to time to the point of taking my breath away. I get so bloated I feel like I could pop and go flying through the air! There have been 2 distinct instances where I had to drop off my DD for a dance and then go back to pick her up. Both times, I had vegetable soup with crackers (at home of course - no eating out for me) and then I went back to get her a couple hours later. On both occasions, I was hurting so bad by the time I got to the school (20 min. away) that I was in tears. I couldn't take a deep breath, there were shooting pains all through my abdomen/lower pelvic area and I just had to go home and stretch out. I even put the seat in the down position just to breathe. The pressure was awful. Thank goodness my hubby was driving. I even started to go to the ER, but I know they will pat me on the head and give me a $100 maalox tablet. Maybe it was the acid from the tomato-based soup? I dunno, but no more for me!

's

Lisa
Unread 05-01-2002, 11:56 AM

hmmmm, the tomata/acid thing makes sense......or maybe it's the crackers? Gosh its all so confusing isn't it? All I've been able to eat for the last month is soup and toast and crackers, potatoes that sorta stuff or I'm twice as nauseated.

hang in there Lisa, we're all sending big 's!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.