HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Medications and Vitamins NOT to Take Before Surgery Medications and Vitamins NOT to Take Before Surgery

Unread 05-02-2002, 04:42 PM
Medications and Vitamins NOT to Take Before Surgery

Hi Ladies,

I think I probably posted this topic a few weeks ago, but since my mind is totally gone, I can't remember if I did or not. So if I did, just please bear with me and excuse my Geritol/Xanex/pre-op stress moment.

My pre-op appointment is only three days before my surgery and I'm so scared I'm going to do or take something I shouldn't before I find out that I shouldn't have done or taken it. (Did that sentence make sense?)

My surgery is in 3 weeks, and today I switched from my beloved Motrin to Tylenol, because I know that asprin and anti-inflammatories can thin the blood and are a no-no before surgery. Right now, I'm also taking two Centrum multi-vitamins with iron a day, and I've also taken two halves of a Xanex (I guess that makes a whole one, doesn't it) to calm my nerves after my youngest son lost his $14 an hour computer job and my daughter called to tell me that she doesn't have her rent and is getting evicted. (Oh, and my Mom called to say someone had stolen three checks out of her checkbook and stole $800 out of her checking account, and my best friend, Bill, is moving to Miami tomorrow.)

Anyway, I've thought about taking some extra vitamin C just to ward off any nasty cold germs that might be floating my way. Is that allowed? What else do I need to be or not be taking or doing?

Thanks,

Lisa

Unread 05-02-2002, 04:55 PM

Hi Lisa,
At the top of this forum is an FYI about Herbs not to take before surgery. Please read that, then call your doctor and ask him what you cannot have in your system and when you have to stop taking it. I only had 7 days notice and I had no idea about medications until I came to this site! I'm glad I read things as my pre-op was the day before surgery.

Sara
Unread 05-02-2002, 05:48 PM

Yes, please read the post on top of the forum about vitamins/herbs etc...very important! It's a great question and so many women aren't aware of this restriction.

Definitely call your doctor's office and ask them specifically about the vitamins. Every doctor will have their own approach. Mine said my multi vitamin was ok (even tho it had a small amount of vitamin E) but not to take any extra E as I usually do. He did recommend resuming the vitamins right away in the hospital, (next day) especially the C which he felt was helpful for healing. But be 100% sure to follow YOUR doctor's orders on this...it is critical that you do whatever s/he tells you.

Thanks for asking this question....it's really important!!

Karen
Unread 05-02-2002, 05:49 PM

I have my surgery the 13th.....and have stopped Naproxen......which is extra hard, cuz not only am I taking it for the pain I am having the darn surgery for, but I've been on the stuff regularly for tendinitis/rotator cuff problems the past few months! Ouch! It's a double whammy! Tylenol does NOTHING!! Anybody have pain control tips?? I use heat when I can......any other ideas?

Also, my multivitamin has some herbs in it, I guess I need to stop that too....maybe I ought to get a small bottle of plain ole vitamins, rather than my usual mega pills, haha.......

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.