HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Has anyone else had a TVT procedure? Has anyone else had a TVT procedure?

Unread 05-04-2002, 02:25 AM
Has anyone else had a TVT procedure?

I contacted this site 2 years ago after my hysterectomy and found it very comforting. I am hoping someone can help me again. 5 weeks ago I had further surgery. A TVT (tension free vaginal tape) to correct stress incontinence plus yet more vaginal repair, this time a posterior repair. Everything I read about the TVT said it was wonderfully successful, but I have been utterly disappointed with the results so far. Has anyone else had this procedure? What have your post-op experiences been? Am I likely to see some improvement yet? If anyone has something encouraging to say, I would sure like to hear it.
Unread 05-04-2002, 04:01 AM

I too am interested in the responses to this post.

I had the TVT done as well. I am less than 2 weeks out and would love to hear what others have experienced.

My catheter just came out today, after 12 days and I don't know if what I am experiencing is a result of the cath or the surgery. I still have no control over the muscles down there. I can start my flow okay but it kinda just dribbles out. I am hoping this is from having the cath in for so long!

Jackie
Unread 05-04-2002, 12:55 PM
TVT

Hi Jackie,
We seem to be having similar problems. I only had a catheter in overnight, but was totally incontinent the next few days. Now 5 weeks on I seem to have developed 'urge incontinence' . As a result I feel worse off than when I started! I was hoping someone had some encouraging things to say. Good luck with your recovery, Rayni
Unread 05-04-2002, 02:07 PM

Just wanted to say I am sorry you are having these problems. I did not have that type of surgery , but wanted to bump the post up to the top. Someone with some experience should come along soon.
Unread 05-04-2002, 08:28 PM

Rayni, I'm sorry you've had to have a second procedure

I do not have personal experience with this latest procedure, but I moved your post to The Road Less Travelled forum because I know that others who post here have had this procedures.

Sending healing s your way.
Unread 05-06-2002, 04:56 AM

Rayni & Jackie,

Hello. I had the TVT surgery done back in October. I am happy to report that the surgery was 100% successful for me. It cured my incontinence completely.

I only had the catheter in for a few hours following my surgery. Mine was done as an outpatient. BUT I did experience the "dribbles" as you describe. I don't recall how long it lasted but I do remember that when I went in for my 4 week check up that I complained about it to my doctor. I told him that the "flow" was extremely slow. He did a bladder ultrasound to make sure that my bladder was emptying completely and told me that this was normal due to swelling. And it did eventually clear up some. Although my "flow" is still slower than before, but nothing that causes me too much hassle.

I would encourage you to speak to your doctor about this. I was told that sometimes the tape can be positioned too tight or too loose which can cause your results from the surgery to not be so perfect. But I was also told that this could be fixed relatively easily.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

You can read more about my experience by following these links and reading through these threads:

Checking in After Surgery

1 Week Post Op From TVT Surgery - Update

My Post Op Appt with the Urologist
Unread 05-06-2002, 11:34 AM
I'll try to be patient

Dear Lisa,
Thanks for your encouraging words. Yes my 'flow' is slower too and seems to squirt out backwards sometimes! I guess this may be still be due to swelling even at this late stage.
I have to go more frequently than before and still find I 'dribble' as I approach the toilet. To be honest I haven't tried coughing or sneezing on a full bladder yet. I am worried I will have a real flood and feel even more disappointed at the result of the surgery than I already am. I see my surgeon again in a couple of weeks. I do hope things are better by then. I was so distressed last week I thought I might call for an earlier appointment, but bad days were followed by not so bad days, so I may just try to be patient.
Anyway it was good to hear you are doing so well. Tnaks again, Rayni
Unread 05-06-2002, 12:15 PM

Rayni,

If you feel that your results aren't as you had expected, then please do call your doctor for an earlier appt. Only your doctor can answer your questions for sure. And if nothing else then he could quite possibly ease your mind about all that you are experiencing.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.
s to you
Unread 05-09-2002, 12:20 PM
TVT surgery

Hi
I had the TVT surgery along with my hyst and also bowel repair. I can't say that I feel that my surgery was a complete success either, although FINALLY I have stopped leaking. I continued to leak (less and less though) for 5 months after the surgery (10/23/01)!. Just recently became dry. However I still have such urgency! I "go" every one to two hours, day and night. I don't ever get a good nights sleep as I am up so often to go! And I can't wait - I have tried to hold it, but then feel like I am going to leak if I don't go. I had trouble emptying all the way, although that is also somewhat better. The doctor wants me to do the Kegel exercises, but every time I try them my bladder starts having spasms and then I have the urge every 15 minutes! That is a horrible feeling! My flow was VERY slow in the beginning - almost a dribble. Now it is better - but still sometimes not very strong. I go see urologist in a few weeks for my next check up, so will find out what to do next.
I am good about drinking water during the day, but I have to stop in the eve. Have half a glass at dinner and then nothing else (except a few sips with my pills before bed). Then I only get up maybe 4 times a night. If for some reason I do have something more to drink after 6 PM, I am up every 45 minutes all night long! How can so little going in be so much coming back out!!
Hope my urologist has some answers for me. I know that I have a small capacity, but this is ridiculous!
Also can't take any of those Ditropan type meds. Too many side effects from them! Oh well - it is always something!
Unread 05-09-2002, 03:40 PM
Urgency

Hi Gail,
Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems, but it is comforting to know that you are still seeing improvements even so long after surgery. This urgency thing seems to be something the TVT does not address according to one of the nurses I spoke to. Now I did not have 'urgency' so much before the op, but I sure do now! Am unable to pull up those old kegal muscles sufficiently to prevent leaking as I approach the toilet, it seems to have the opposite effect! Have decided to ask doctor about physiotherapy. Had it once before for pelvic floor muscles, it might be appropriate again.
Hope you continue to see improvements. Good luck with your recovery.
By the way, I used to live in Manchester Missouri and have fond memories of St Louis. Rayni

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.