HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Costochrondritis -chest pain Costochrondritis -chest pain

Unread 05-23-2002, 10:51 AM
Costochrondritis -chest pain

I am eight weeks post op from my abdominal hysterectomy (kept ovaries and part of my cervix) due to fibroids, cysts on my ovaries and ademyosis. I have been feeling good and have started to resume my activities. Just this last week, I started having pain in my chest and heart palpitations, especially at night after I went to sleep. I went to the emergency room and they ran all the tests for heart and such and determined that I had this condition called costochrondritis which is an inflammation of the cartilage joining the ribs to the breast bone. Although they don't know what causes it, they think it can be caused by stress and can happen after surgery. The doctor instructed me to take naprosyn or advil when needed for pain until it goes away (which can be for several weeks) and to refrain from doing anything that may aggravate the problem. Has anyone ever heard of this? I feel better that I have this instead of a heart problem, but I am so depressed about my recovery. I expected to be back to "normal" by now. Thanks for you help.
Unread 05-23-2002, 10:59 AM
I have suffered from this for years!

I was diagnosed with this 15 years ago!
The anti-inflammatories do help. Also putting ice on the area is a bonus as well.
Mine is triggered by two things....stress and illness, chest colds mainly.
So long as your doctor knows that you have this problem, that should be okay as he can monitor it.
But if it becomes a problem, definately go to the ER or let your doctor know if it has worsened.
s and s
Janet
Unread 05-23-2002, 12:59 PM

Yes, I had this after a bout with bronchitis many years ago.. I took anti-inflammatories, and I felt better in a week or two. Might take a little longer, as ER says. Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 05-23-2002, 01:45 PM

Oh MY this is soooooo weird.
2 weeks post op I too had the samething happen to me. They did all the tests too...... heart, blood clot in lung..... cat scan....... eeeeek.
The night before this all happened I was having back/shoulder blade pain....... was putting ice than heat on it.... woke up at 4 in the morning and the pain was in chest area.
I either had what you have or it was bercitis (sp).

Maybe just the stress from surgery to our bodies brought this on.. ???
I didnt mention it before because I felt it was unrelated to surgery. Now with you saying this......... I wonder.
take care
I hope you start to feel better. The doctor had me also take pain meds and advil...... same as you.
DonnaFay
Unread 05-23-2002, 01:59 PM

Hi Anne, I've heard of costochondritis, but don't really have any experience with it.

I'm sorry you're having this problem and wanted to let you know I'm sending healing thoughts and s your way!
Unread 05-23-2002, 02:34 PM
costochrondritis

Hi Anne!

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. Recovery can be difficult even without this. I am almost 4 months pot-op and did not have this happen after surgery, but was diagnosed with it when I was recovery from pneumonia a few years ago. It is very uncomfortable and scary. They ran the same battery of test at the ER that they probably ran with you too. I took ibuprofen, used ice and rested, because the doctor felt it could be easily triggered again. I have had it on and off through the years since. Please follow your doctors specific instructions for you. Your doctor knows how he wishes to handle your situation. My costochronditis took a while to clear up. If you get worried call your doctor. Best wishes for your recovery!

Joan
Unread 05-24-2002, 09:09 AM

Thank you for your responses and healing thoughts. I guess I'm going to have to be patient and hope this clears up soon. I am doing the cold packs as it feels better than the hot packs and take the meds. Hugs to all!
Unread 05-24-2002, 10:11 AM
chostochondritis

I also had this - mine was several years ago but as far as I remember it wasn't triggered by surgery. I do remember the Dr. saying to rest and take the anti-inflammatories.
Stress - yes there was stress - I went to the emergency room thinking that I was having a heart attack, and then they tell me to calm down and not stress out!
I have Mitral Valve prolapse which causes heart palpitations and chest pain. The doctors always said that a heart attack would "feel different" than the pain from my MVP. Well, this "felt different" and was much worse, so I was scared to death. Hubby rushed me to the ER and we were both sure I was having a heart attack! Even though the chostochondritis takes awhile to get over, it sure is LOTS better than having a heart attack!!!
Fortunatley I have not had a recurrence of this, even though I have had several surgeries since that time.
Hoping you will get lots of and feel better soon.
Gail

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.