HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

sex with full bladder? sex with full bladder?

Unread 05-23-2002, 04:59 PM
sex with full bladder?

I've put off asking this question and it may be stupid. I'm embarrased to ask this but does anyone know if having sex with a partially or full bladder could be damaging? The reason I ask is because I have heard and know from experience that it can make the big O stronger but am reluctant to continue doing this if there is known damage to the bladder from someone doing this. DH told me that if we do this with my bladder full I may have a better O in which case he was right. I know that in order to reduce UTI's it's recommended that you empty the bladder before and after sex but what's the point if you emptied before when there is nothing left for after the moment and you missed the opportunity to enjoy the benefit of more feeling? I know that during a hysterectomy the bladder gets shoved around a lot so I figure what could possibly go wrong during sex. I don't even want to bring myself to ask this question to my urologist next week so thought I'd ask here first. Sorry if this offends anyone as I don't mean to offend but this is not the first time I've heard of this theory.
Unread 05-23-2002, 07:44 PM
sex with full bladder?

I've wondered about something along these lines too. I don't know about having sex with a full bladder, but I do know that I can just about have an O when my bladder's full - and no one knows. Sitting at my desk, riding in the car, whatever, if my bladder's full and I really have to go, I almost have one. I think the only reason I don't is because I'm afraid I'll "let go" too much!

And this is coming from a 40 year old woman who has NEVER had one on her own, doing ANYTHING. Sorry for the details. I wondered beforehand if the surgery would change this or not, and it hasn't changed it. If anything the feelings are stronger. I used to wonder if it was because my uterus was parked on top of my bladder, or vice versa. Now I know that's not the case.
Unread 05-24-2002, 04:56 AM
sex with full bladder?

Hmmm, good question I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to say that you shouldn't be embarrassed for asking this question. We ask all kinds of stuff here, and it is a legitimate question, so don't worry about being embarrassed.

Sorry I couldn't offer you any answers.
Unread 05-24-2002, 05:14 AM
New one for me

I had never heard the full bladder connection before.... certainly provides food for thought. Most I ever heard along this line was to empty the bladder afterwards.

Someday, when I'm all done with the GI stuff, and yeast, and whatever decides to show up next, perhaps I'll have to give this a try....
Unread 05-24-2002, 06:02 PM
sex with full bladder?

If your bladder isn't getting in the way of having sex....I say "wonderful".....I can't imagine having sex with a full bladder....but if it is comfortable, I wouldn't think it could be harmful.....if anything, my way of thinking is you would have plenty to flush any bacteria out afterwards.....because anything that travels there would really need to be flushed well.....so a full bladder would do that wouldn't it?.....

maybe this is one for the doctors to answer.....wonder if any ever come on here? take care..bj
Unread 05-25-2002, 08:10 PM
sex with full bladder?

Thanks for the responses. BJ your post makes sense. I have read several links that say you should empty both before and after to prevent UTI's and then read about O's with a full bladder and found that there is a connection seen at this link. http://www.actionlove.com/cases/case9140.htm Hmm... we don't have a uterus or cervix so not sure about this explanation. I saw another site that mentioned something about bruising the bladder if sex was rough. I think because of the fact that we had surgery it may be a good idea to ask this to the dr. because of the confusion.
Unread 05-31-2002, 08:08 AM
sex with full bladder?

I saw the urologist and asked him if there was any danger of having sex with a full bladder. I didn't mention the reason for this as far as orgasm was concerned. just the question of it being if it was dangerous. He mentioned that there is a risk of infections not just STD's but other infections if you don't empty either before or after. I mentioned that I heard that it's advisable to empty both before and after but if I went before there was nothing there for after and he added to not to go to sleep after with a full bladder as it will increase the risk of infection. For now I will leave it at emptying after sex unless I hear anything about it being harmful. Might as well take advantage of the extra flushing and increased effect of the big O since I'm able to.
Unread 07-17-2002, 10:35 PM
empty before - explanation

Hi there, have had two private messages from a previous posting I did, and excuse me I haven't been able to negotiate the private message system. I think I managed one, but the second one blocked a reply so will use this forum.

I was told that sex with a full bladder encourages a certain type of uti called cystitus cystica. Most uti s sit in the lining around the bladder interior, coming away with urine and irritating our urethras with the usual unpleasant symptons that tell us something is not right. However, some infections stay localized, they penetrate the bladder wall and this then triggers off our immune system, causing polyps to grow in the bladder. My urologist said that sex is directly related to these uti s as the action forces the infection deeper into tissues. These are harder to pick up symptons from and don't always show in a mid-steam urine test. My treatment was excision, cauterizing, bladder washed out with a solution and then 5 days ceclor antibiotic followed up with a month of trimethoprim. This antibiotic concentrates in the bladder.

Hope this helps clear up gaps in information and thanks for all the replies. Linda
Unread 07-18-2002, 04:57 PM
sex with full bladder?

Hey Linda, I was just wondering how you were diagnosed?

It seems like the bladder is such a mystery..... I have found it to be one of the most difficult situations in getting a doctor to commit to a diagnosis......even after cystoscopy, things were still very unverified to me..........

Did it take you a long time to learn about your condition? and did you have the polyps in your bladder like you mentioned.....also, what kind of doctor did you go to? a run of the mill urologist? or a specialty hospital?

I am constantly amazed when I find someone who has a clear picture of their bladder problems.....because like i said....mine are elusive.........thanks for responding..........bj
Unread 07-18-2002, 10:13 PM
sex with full bladder?

Hello again, um, no just an ordinary urologist I think, but my gyn had asked him to assist with the hyste as I needed the bladder sling and bladder neck elevation. I think most cystoscopies are done to check no puncture or damage is done to the bladder, and so maybe I was lucky that mine was a sharp-eagled so and so. Yes, I did have polyps, I was told it presents as yellowy deposits that are raised up in ridges.

All my bladder events were a surprise to me, I hadn't had leakage, pain or any signs that I recognised as utis ( I had ordinary cystitis on my first honeymoon, won't forget those symptons ever!) I thought at first my prolapsed uterus that caused the kinked urethra and cystocele caused it, but again, was told it's sex! So poor DH has to haul in the reins whilst I zoom to the bathroom before he can have fun! I don't get any, I don't like early morning sessions, I don't mind after a lie in and cup of coffee on a weekend, but not a jumpstart at 6.15 am!

Possibly the only other physical signs that could give a clue was cloudy urine, but hey, after sex what do you expect, and as my immune system was working overtime, I wasn't healing well from cuts and skin infections.

Glad to know that we are all learning on this thread! Thanks again, Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.