HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

5/13 surgery.  How do you get rid of the crick in neck? 5/13 surgery. How do you get rid of the crick in neck?

Unread 05-29-2002, 08:27 AM
5/13 surgery. How do you get rid of the crick in neck?

Thank you for reading this.

My surgery was 5/13, TAH/BSO. I feel like I am doing well, considering reading what many of you have been through and going through many of the same symptoms posted such as painful belly to touch, a little swelly if I overdo it.

Per my Dr. yesterday at 2-week post-op, I am well on the way to a great recovery and he gave me permission to drive short distances for short amounts of time. I am wearing the vivelle dot .075 and having no problems with the instant menapause.

My problem is a persistant crick in my neck. I am a regular side and belly sleeper so maybe that is part of it. It is at the top of my neck, around the skull area. As soon as I get rid of it on the right side, it hits me on the left side. It seems that tension and stress aggreviate it as well as holding my head up for too long. It started in the hospital when I would hold my head up to talk, etc. and continued at home. I am using a homemade neck pillow for support to no avail. If you have any good remedy, please write.

Is this too much for me to be doing at this point of recovery? Light housework, straightening up front area of house for potential guests, 1 trip to movies 5/27, DD Track practiice Tu/Thurs, Track meet Sat. I was zapped after the movie and I slept the rest f the day. Today thru Thurs evening is my first alone with DD. I am scared to take the pain pills when I am home with her for fear that I will be passed out and she will decide to cook something or "help" as she has done before. Bless her heart, she tries so hard to help but the stinch of tupperware burning in my microwave scared me to death.

Thank you for reading my post and listening to my venting this am.
Susan
Unread 05-29-2002, 09:23 AM

Hi Susan,

Just a thought on the crick, are you standing and walking with the same posture as before the surgery? I know right now (I'm 6 days post-op) my neck, upper back, and shoulders ache, which I attribute to my slumping walk and lack of support from stomach muscles. I am trying to remember to straighten up, which helps a lot!

You could probably manage some mild neck exercises (rolling the neck around slowly)), and I'd bet heat would help as well.

Good luck!

Pellice
Unread 05-29-2002, 09:32 AM
too much

You're doing a little much for this early in your recovery.. If you can, step back and take it easy. For every one thing that you do, spend at least that much time resting immediately after. Recliners seem to help my neck quite a bit, as does taking a nap.

Good luck
Unread 05-29-2002, 09:34 AM

Hi Susan,

Neck cricks may be minor, but they sure are annoying as heck! I also am a stomach and side sleeper so it was difficult for me to get a good night’s sleep soon after surgery. I didn’t have the neck cricks though.

Here’s a suggestion. Now that you’re a couple of weeks post-op you should be able to sleep on your side using pillows for support. I actually started this on night 3 in the castle and it was a godsend. I just asked for another pillow and I wedged it between my body and the mattress while laying on my side. It allowed me to sleep on my side and protected my incision. I slept so good after that!

I hope this helps to give you some relief. Also you should definitely try to do less. You're only a couple of week post-op and your body just isn't strong enough yet. Make the time allow yourself to heal now so you won't be forced to later.

All the best for a successful recovery!
Unread 05-29-2002, 11:05 AM

The neck cricks usually go away after a short time, and there are stretching exercises you can do, as well as applying heat. I sometimes do these while in a hot shower (water hitting neck). I turn my head slowly side to side ,as if looking behind.

I have life long neck problems,beginning from birth. The best relief I have found is a water pillow. I got mine from the Sears Home Health catalog; costs around $50, I think. Have had it for several years.
Unread 05-29-2002, 11:25 AM

Thank you for your input. Since my post, I took a couple of Advil and napped with my littlle pillow. It seems to be better for now. I guess I should not try to do so much so soon. I certainly do not want to relapse.
Unread 05-29-2002, 11:46 AM

Hi!
I'm another ladybug!
I also had a crick in my neck for a few days. I think it was caused by using muscles in my neck and arms etc to try to pull myself up in the bed the first day or so in the hospital. You could have someone rub some sort of deep heat cream on it and use a heating pad.
Be careful about overdoing - its great that you feel that well - but you will appreciate it in the long run if you also spend lots of time resting right now.
Good luck with your recovery. I am now at about 8 1/2 weeks and really just started feeling like I am glad I did this about 1 1/2 or 2 weeks ago.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.