Vitamin E | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-05-2002, 07:48 AM
Vitamin E

I am almost 9 months post op. TAH/ BSO I am 37 years old. I tried about 5 different hormones during this time.

I HATE THEM ALL. I called my doctor one week ago and he said to try it without hormones for a while.

Every morning I take prevacid and synthroid. Right now I feel great! Lost 5 pounds also. My only problem is hot flahes at night.

Any way my question is dose anyone know if it would be OK to try vitamin E at night for these with the medicine I take. I also take a multi vitamin at night. My Dr. gave my some Celexa to try if needed. I have not used it yet. Does anyone know about this.
Does it make you gain weight?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2002, 09:29 AM
Vitamin E

Lucy,
I started Celexa a few months ago and so far so good I would ask your Dr about the Vit E 1st though, many of us here use it. There is also a thread that Trish posted with some good alternatives to use when you are unable to take HRT that will help alleviate some of the Menopause symptoms. Here is the link:
https://www.hystersisters.com/forums/...?threadid=8782

I hope you do well with the Celexa! Please keep us posted....
Unread 06-05-2002, 10:03 AM
celexa

I take celexa. It's a great thing for moods and anxiety, but it doesn't work with hot flashes. Next week I'm trying effexor to see if that will make a difference. Celexa has few side effects and is wonderful stuff. Effexor has more side effects. I have gained no weight on celexa.
I also take 400IU of vitamin E morning and night. My hot flashes are caused also by a side effect of tamoxifen in addition to surgical menopause.
I take no hormones as my cancer was hormone driven. The vitamin E was suggested by my oncologist. (I still haven't checked with him on the effexor, but my nurse practitioner is going to prescribe it--I'll probably call and run it by him first)
If I can help you at all, just ask.
SusanL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2002, 10:23 AM
Vitamin E

Hi, though I'm a fan of natural vitamin E (make sure it says D-alpha on the label and not dL-alpha on the label), the evidence is that it's not better than a placebo against hot flashes. But it does help with other problems.

The only thing that's a supplement that's clearly better than a placebo is black cohosh. www.hormonejungle.com/blackcohosh.php

When I had to go without HRT, I had litle trouble with hot flashes--just a higher "thermostat" than normal--and I was taking black cohosh and a very low level of antidepressant. But my mom says that she had almost no hot flashes during her natural menopause, so it might be a family thing (or the no smoking and lots of belly fat thing).
Unread 06-05-2002, 10:54 AM
black cohosh

Yup I'd love to do black cohosh but it is an estrogen--so no luick there. Thanks for the info on vitamin E. I'll do some checkling, and yes the natural is best although you can take synthetic it is not absorbed as well by your body.
SusanL
Unread 06-05-2002, 01:26 PM
Vitamin E

I also am a no HRT sister and go the natural way but only with the go ahead from the DR,

I am ok to go with soy and black cohosh, flaxseed oil w/omaga3

and a good vit/min suppl.that is all natural so the E as well as the others are at the right level .

I don't think E takes away the flashes? I think I am doing well becouse of the soy and cohosh and other herbs.

I have no weight gain, I lost 17 pounds since my tah/bso. I was taking 100mg of cohosh and the dr just told me to up it to 150mg dailyI have no night sweats anymore, and I had them so very bad after surgery.

I also take a extra bone support, calcium is so badly needed for our bones so please make sure you talk to the dr about the mg he feels you should be on. Mine said 1200-1600 daily.

I also was told by him what brand to take, He feels its not good to mix and match vit/min....he said then you don't know if your really getting the right balance,I am really glad I have a dr that seems to like the natural way,

I feel really good, and have small heat waves, I get more when I am stressed so I try to not allow myself to get to overwhelmed with things. And I drink tons of water I really feel it cools the body down so I am known to always have a bottle of frozen water in my hands where ever I go[also great for your skin]

Well I hope we helped you some and keep posting OK?

But please to be safe make sure what ever you take its with the drs ok.

s........................"SIS"
Unread 06-10-2002, 12:03 PM
Adhesions

Vitamin E is good for a lot of things but mostly
it is good preventative vitamin medicine to assist
in keeping adhesions at bay
Unread 06-10-2002, 12:31 PM
adhesions---and effexor

That is so interesting about vitamin E preventing adhesions! Thank you for the information.

Wish me luck girls...tomorrow I'm starting effexor and hope it'll help the hot flash problem! Got my fingers crossed.

SusanL
Unread 06-10-2002, 12:41 PM
Vitamin E

Hi everyone. I take Vitamin E orally but then I got Vitamin E cream for my scar. I heard it was also good for the adhesions and to take the pink out of the scar. I use it 2-3 times a day. I also have Vitamin E oil that I sometimes use when I take a bath. It makes my skin feel so soft.
Tammy
Unread 06-12-2002, 06:23 PM
Vitamins E + B's

Vitamin E plus a good blend of the B's with a focus on B6
Will help keep the skin and hair pretty, shiney and soft.
You will look marvelous, absolutely marvelous.

Kamie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register