HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bladder Sling Bladder Sling

Unread 06-07-2002, 09:07 PM
Bladder Sling

Has anyone one here had a bladder sling done with your hyst? Are you happy with the result. I am 3 weeks post op from having a tvh, bladder sling and a/p repair. I am happy with all except i am not sure about the sling. I still urinate about every 2 hours and seem to have alot of urgency. No infection. I would appreciate your response and opionions...........thanks
Unread 06-07-2002, 09:51 PM
bladder sling

I don't know anything about the bladder sling but would like to know more about your procedure, why you chose it, what your condition was before you had surgery and more about your condition now ... how you feel. Is the urgency like a tightness or tension that you feel. I was suppose to have had some kind of bladder support done when I had my surgery 9/01 but it was not done according to the Dr. I was fine for 6 months. Great support ... I now have a severe prolaspe and can't have surgery until my body is in better condition. He says my tissues are thin. Please let me know. Thank-you.

Nina
Unread 06-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Bladder Sling

I didn't have a bladder sling, but I experienced frequent urination and urgency for several weeks after my hyst. From the posts I've read in the year I've been hanging around Hystersisters, many women have these symptoms for a few weeks after a hysterectomy.

Any hysterectomy involves some rough handling of the bladder. This seems to cause our bladders to become extremely sensitive, for awhile.

You can do a search for "bladder sling" by clicking on the purple search button at the top right of your screen, to read about the experiences of women who also had the procedure done.

In the meantime, I don't think your symptoms are uncommon. But if you're concerned, please call your doctor's office and discuss your concerns with the doctor on call for your own doctor.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 06-07-2002, 10:48 PM
Bladder Sling

I had a TAH/BSO with burch procedure on May 10th. And my bladder is still having some trouble settling down. Some days I go all the time and some days its fine. I still have spasms at the end of urination but they are settling down a bit. At my 2 1/2 week check up Dr. said since I still have some tenderness in the area and feel some spasms he wanted to check for a bladder infection but he was not sure since everything is still tender inside. He did say he did a lot of tugging! He also smiles at me when he says "kinda different getting it going isn't it" I just laugh. Man, let me open him up and tug around for awhile! Anyway things will get better, but I would make sure there is no infection sitting around.
Barbara
Unread 06-08-2002, 07:51 PM
Bladder Sling

I had the same surgery you did. I am 10 days post op. I am not sure I like the sling either. I have no "urge" to go until it is too late. I start dribbling before I can get there. And I cannot stop it! This is worse that what I was having before the surgery! I am also going frequently. I am thinking of calling my urologist and asking if this is normal. I hope it improves!
Keep me posted on yours and I'll do the same. Feel free to email me.
Tammy
Unread 06-08-2002, 08:28 PM
early days yet

Hi, I had LAVH, Burch bladder sling, rectrocle, cystocele and enterocele done end of May. I had chronic cystitis so bladder had been infected for long time.

So far I have full control of bladder but it can be painful voiding at various stages, sometimes when I start, or mid stream. My urologist put me on 5 day course of strong ceclor antibiotic immediately after surgery and I am now on Trimethoprim for month.

I had 2 week check and now have all clear to do my kegels, and am drinking 2 litres of water a day as well as my usual hot drinks or fruit juices. I had to get up and urinate through the night first week but now am sleeping from 10-7 and not having to wee!

Hoping you will soon be in control, but don't hesitate to get your doctor to check for infections. My cystitis did not show up on normal urine checks so was not detected.
Unread 06-09-2002, 12:26 AM
bladder sling

I had the same procedures done as you did and I am 6 weeks post op. Just had my post op visit yesterday. At this point, I am still urinating frequently, about 6 times per nite and too many to count during the day. I received a prescription for Detrol which I'm hoping will kick in soon! I also received a prescription for Ambien and sleep has been hard to come by. Weeks 3 & 4 seemed to be the worst with continual bladder spasms. At that point i started taking pyridium and cut back on my water intake. I don't think my bladder ready for 8 glasses a day, still isn't. Four to Five glasses is as much as I can handle. I hear it will get better as time progresses, my urologist said another 8-12 weeks. Seems like a long time, but we've come so far already, I'm sure we can make it! Please email me if you have any other questions. Sheila
Unread 06-09-2002, 04:14 AM
Bladder Sling

I also had a Burch and am still settling down some. My urologist told me that it was a case of having to retrain your bladder to hold volumes of fluid and he really preferred that I did not let my bladder get full for several weeks, so that it did not put tension on the sutures. I don't have urgency, but I do still have some frequency. Not as bad as it was the first week, but I certainly feel like I need to urinate more often. And there is still a little discomfort at the end.

And yes, it is "kinda different getting it going isn't it" I was out shopping yesterday and stopped in a restroom. There is no "hovering" over the commode. I have to sit, lean forward and concentrate!

But all in all, I am happy I had this done. I don't need pads at all any more!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!

Caren
Unread 06-09-2002, 06:06 AM
Bladder Sling

Hi

I had a burch bladder repair March 19. The first few months I was so upset that it was not going to work. I was still having stress inconient and I had to double viod to empty my bladder. My physician said it takes time. I now have no longer stress incontience but if my bladder is to full have still have to double void. but I'm very glad I had the surgery. I no longer have to wear a pad. I feel much better. The physician said it takes up to 2 years for the surgery to totally heal. She also said if you are lifting things over 10 - 20 lbs. It can be bad. Also rremember we had been thru two major surgery the hyster Bso and bladder surgery It takes time to heal. would I do it again. the answer is very much YES. give it time

HUG to all
Unread 06-09-2002, 12:13 PM
burch sling

Hi there,
I had a tah/burchsling and am now 12 weeks post. The sling helps with the stress incontience but it will not help frequency. I have battled with 3 uti since the surgery and am right now on antibiotics for this third time. I can now sneeze without leaking but the habit of crossing legs is hard to break!!!!! I take detrol for the frequency and it does work great when I don't have an infection. My bladder was atttached to the uteris so there was a lot of trauma to it. Hopefully things will settle down. To empty, I still tip myself up like a tea pot to get it all out and with this infection is sometimes hard to get started even though I feel like I have to pee as soon as I leave the toilet. It has got to get better!
s to all of you and like someone else said on here everyday is a pee bit better!
Love Pam (rainbow on chat)

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.