HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

can you have a hyst while having your period? can you have a hyst while having your period?

Unread 06-17-2002, 12:24 PM
can you have a hyst while having your period?

My period started yesterday and I go to the castle in 2 days. I know, it's just having the last word. haha. I'm on straight bc pills so it shouldn't have started, but it did. Do I need to call my Dr. or does it matter? If it doesn't matter, do I wear a tampon to surgery, or what? It'd be pretty disgusting to lay there just bleeding! I know there's going to be more blood than that, but hopefully I'll be asleep first! Hopefully some of you know more than I do.

Thanks,.
Stacy
Unread 06-17-2002, 12:38 PM
So glad you asked that question...

I am scheduled for surgery on July 2nd and looking at my calendar I should be starting my period about 1 to 2 days before too. I asked a friend and she thought it really wouldn't matter although she did say it would be a good idea to let your doctor know just so he is aware. I guess mainly because you will be loosing more blood than if you were not on your period. Again I am guessing so I hope someone can answer this question that also had surgery while on their period.

Best wishes to you!

yolanda
Unread 06-17-2002, 01:39 PM

Having your period while having surgery it doesn't matter at all cause after your surgery you will have alittle bleeding any ways. I am 2 weeks post op today but luckly I haven't had no bleeding at all maybe alittle spotting but no bleeding. You will be sooooo happy not to have those nasty ole' periods any more . After 2 week post op TAH I feel great!
Unread 06-17-2002, 01:54 PM
Great News

VolzOkie

That is great to hear how well you are doing after
2 weeks. I am in surgery (TAH) July 2nd and I hope and pray to recover as quick as you!!!
Glad to hear the period thing doesn't matter because the last thing I want to do is re-schedule.

Best wishes to you always!

Kittycuddler
Unread 06-17-2002, 02:26 PM

Having your period when its surgery time won't make a bit of difference. Just let the staff know when you check in. :-)

Also, I would advise you wear a sanitary napkin instead of a tampon. I mean, you could wear a tampon to the castle, but they will have you put a pad on before surgery anyways.

Best wishes to all you soon to be princesses!

Amy
Unread 06-17-2002, 02:44 PM

Doesn't matter a bit!! I'm 10 months post-op, and I remember my period started the day before surgery!! No to tampon, yes do wear a pad. I felt a little embarrased but was alseep when the nurses and techs "did their thing" to ready me for the hyst. Good idea to let your Dr. know before hand!

Good luck and let us hear from you when you get home!!
Unread 06-17-2002, 03:20 PM
It happened to me!

It doesn't matter a bit to the doctor. Mine came just days prior to my castle date. I mentioned it to the admitting nurse, and she fixed me up with a pair of mesh underwear and a pad. Just think of it as a quick end to your period - your very last one!

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery!
Unread 06-17-2002, 04:16 PM

I started my period the day before my surgery 5 weeks ago. I wore a napkin and some granny panties that I bought for my hospital visit and to avoid any issues, I told the Dr. it wsa ok with me if they cut the panties off. They did. No mesh undies. Everyone laughed because I never wear anything but thongs so when DH said to please take those ugly things it made a tense moment lighten up.
Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 06-17-2002, 06:06 PM
thongs...

I wear them sometimes when my boyfriend and I have a night planned. BUT, wearing them all the time....man! How do you keep from tugging yer butt all day Texgirl?!
That's a good idea about the cutaway grannies. My period will be due right on my big day as well and I'll use your idea.
Unread 06-17-2002, 08:10 PM

Stacy it will just fine. I was on my peroid two days before my surgery and I told the dr, since I had my pre-op appointment the day before, he said it wouldn't make any difference. I was so happy that I could still have my surgery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway