fIBROID IS GROWING SURGERY SCHEDULE HYSTERECTOMY OR NOT - HYSTERECTOMY ? | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

fIBROID IS GROWING   SURGERY SCHEDULE HYSTERECTOMY OR NOT           - HYSTERECTOMY ? fIBROID IS GROWING SURGERY SCHEDULE HYSTERECTOMY OR NOT - HYSTERECTOMY ?

Unread 06-19-2002, 08:53 PM
fIBROID IS GROWING SURGERY SCHEDULE HYSTERECTOMY OR NOT - HYSTERECTOMY ?

hi
In May 2000 i had a myomectomy... i now have another fibroid 11 cm by 6.4 by 8 cm appro..my doctor has gotten the results of ultrasound and she has scheduled urgent surgery
What questions should I ask her Also I was told i would be awake while she does the surgery and will not feel any pain because of an epidural. My question is if she says i need a hysterectomy can I refuse while she is doing the surgery...... what if the fibroid is benign ansd i get a hysterectomy ..... i am 46 can progesterone cream cause a fibroid to grow and if not what causes a fibroid to grow.. ?

why do fibroids grow and is this a sign of cancer ?

annie 28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2002, 05:47 AM

Dear Annie,

Welcome to HysterSisters I didn't have fibroids, but here are some links to help you gather more information:

http://www.fibroidcorner.com/
http://www.sirweb.org/patPub/uterine.shtml
http://www.prevention.com/cda/feature/0,1204,2373.html
http://www.thefibroidplace.com/

I would like to strongly urge you to get 2 or 3 medical opinions before making a decision on hysterectomy. Why is the doc scheduling *urgent* surgery? Is there something she has not communicated to you about your condition?

Regarding you refusing the hysterectomy *during the surgery*, you will probably have to sign off on a hysterectomy during pre-op because even with an epidural, you may not be alert enough to give informed consent.

This is major surgery. It sounds like you have doubts about the doctor and/or the diagnosis. You owe it to yourself to check out the different treatments and to be at peace with whatever decisions you must make for your health. My doc #2 had much more cutting & pasting in mind than doc #3 did.

Get smart about your symptoms & your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 06-20-2002, 08:19 AM
Why urgent surgery?

Annie: I'm in Canada also and had by TAH Jun 7th due to fibroids. I can only tell you what I understand about fibroids and my experience. I agree with the other post about getting more information. This is a critical decision that you need to look into further. From the many books I've read I believe that estrogen is what causes fibroids to grow. I was told that once my body slowed its development of estrogen, the fibroids may begin to shrink. I couldn't wait another 10 years or more so I chose the surgery. Also, only a small percentage of fibroids are cancerous so try not to worry. You didn't mention whether or not you have severe bleeding and pain with the fibroids? If you are not in any pain I have to wonder why the dr considers the need for surgery to be urgent. My family doctor and my surgeon both told me that the decision was mine to make and if I could continue to live with the heavy bleeding and pain, the fibroids could stay. I know from experience that the fibroids will likely continue to grow and perhaps multiply so if you're not in pain now, you may be in the future. This is only my opinion and my experience so please ask lots of questions and get a second opinion if possible. I know I had to sign a release before surgery that said I give the dr permission to do whatever she felt necessary in order to make be well. (ie., remove my ovaries if she suspected cancer, etc.). I believe once you sign that release, you will have no option to refuse the hysterectomy if the dr believes it is required. I don't think you'll be in any condition to think clearly enough to decide one way or the other due to the epideral. Get as much information as you can about fibroids from either this website or the web in general or visit your local Chapters bookstore and read whatever you can find on the subject. This is major surgery and life changing to boot. Don't hesitate to ask questions and demand answers. Again, this is only my opinion and I encourage you to get as much information as possible from whatever sources are available. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2002, 10:04 AM

I can't say much about the fibroids but I can share my experience about being awake. Although I was awake and did not feel anything, Twyla is right you may not be aware enough to give informed consent. You can click on the house link to read my TVH while awake with a spinal if interested. Good luck.
Unread 06-20-2002, 12:45 PM
why is surgery urgent for me

Hi
my fibroid has grown 3 cm in three months
Unread 06-21-2002, 02:58 PM

Hi Annie,

Do you have bleeding and pain with your fibroids? I had my tah/bso on June 25th,I had fibroids also, I had painful bleeding doing my peroids. I was told by my Gp doctor that when I start menopause that my fibroids would shrink, well after waiting a whole year,taking different medications to help with the pain and control the bleeding, I started to have more pain and the bleeding got worst. I even became dizzy from bleeding so much, that is when I also had a detailed talk with my dr and told him something has to be done, he scheduled me for a sonogram ultrasound and when I had it done, I found out that my fibroids had increased (more of them) and had grown and caused my uterus to become enlarged, so right then and there I decided I wanted to have a hysterectomy, and the dr agreed. The best thing I did was have a detailed dicussion with my doctor, and I agree with Twyla that you should check out more information on the fibroids, you will have to decide what is best for you. If you have any doubts about any surgery , you should talk more in detail with your doctor about your concerns.

Annie, I will pray for you and God Bless You!
Unread 06-23-2002, 11:41 AM

Well ladies, my fibroids seem to be a bit different from what I am reading, they are quite large, one is 11cm and one is 12. They are sprouting with stems so they are continuing to grow,but... believe it our not, I do not have any pain whatsoever and my periods are normal, no abnormal bleeding, no bleeding in between. I did not know I had them. Because they have stems, could be a problem. I have met with my gyno and a Interevention Radiologist. I do not want to have a hysterectomy, I am 44, so I spoke with the Radiologist about the uterine embolization. This is outpatient surgery where you are awake, they insert a catheder where particles are relased that will cut off the blood supply to the fibroids. They do not go away completely, but they will shrink. Knowing that they will shrink again during menapause, this sounds wonderful to me. Only 1 week recovery and 1 night in hospital for observation.

I am scheduled for an MRI in the morning to see what the stems look like, they are afraid if one of the fibroids should break away from the stem that it will fall into my body somewhere where I will need emergency surgery to remove it! If it is too risky for me to have the embolization, I will have to have my uterus removed. All other organs will be intact. Anyone else have stems???
Unread 07-17-2002, 11:17 PM

Sorry ladies and Annie, I just saw I posted the wrong date for my tah/bso, it was on Sept.25th. I must of had brain fog that day.
Unread 07-18-2002, 10:05 AM

I would get it straight with your doctor ahead of time about under which circumstances you would accept a hyst, and which you wouldn't. During surgery, even if you are awake (and you may not be), you may be a bit foggy, and will be in no position to make important decisions. So work out all the "If you find X, do Y" kind of options ahead of time.

There are lots of good reasons to have a hyst-for-fibroids even if they are non-cancerous - and fibroids are very rarely cancerous. Firbroids can put pressure on other organs, nerves, and blood vessels. They can "die off" and cause pain and infection. They can hemorrage and cause anemia, and can even require an emergency hyst.

On the other side, a myomectomy is often a longer, more difficult, and riskier surgery than a hyst, involving more time under anesthesia, and more blood loss.

You didn't elaborate on your reasons for wanting to avoid a hysterectomy, but I'm assuming you must have a pretty strong desire to keep your uterus, considering that you've had one myomectomy, with a recurrence of fibroids, and now you are considering another one. I'd guess you aren't trying to get pregnant (at 46). Whatever your reasons, please be sure they are based in fact (not the dire fear-mongering warnings we hear so much about). If you haven't discussed your concerns and options with your doctor, please do. And it never hurts to get a second opinion - you may discover another option, or confirm that your current doctor is suggesting exactly the right thing.

Never an easy choice. Best of luck!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register