HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

supra-pubic cath; How long do I have to wear this tube???? supra-pubic cath; How long do I have to wear this tube????

Unread 06-21-2002, 03:44 PM
supra-pubic cath; How long do I have to wear this tube????

I came out of surgery with a supra-pubic cath. I am three weeks post-op and can barely go potty by myself. Any other sisters out there with advise on how to stay sane? My doctor said maybe up to six weeks or so. It is so nerve wracking!!! I look like I'm six month pregnant, I have a tube full of urine hanging out of me, and I feel like I need to pee ALL of the time. Aaarrrggg!!!!!
Okay. I'm done. Thanks for listening. Umm... reading.
Monica
Unread 06-21-2002, 05:27 PM
Right there with you

I am one week post op - I hate this stupid thing. My keeps clogging and I hate dragging it around. I can't imagine 3 weeks - if you figure out how to stay sane let me know. I feel like a little old lady. I figure at least I could join in the chorus.
Unread 06-21-2002, 08:50 PM

Wow! Why do you still have to have that thing in? I just had my hysterectomy on Tuesday and Wednesday they took the catheter out. I had a total hysterectomy....everything (ovaries, tubes, uterus, cervix). I also was not able to have it vaginally because the uterus was too high and too enlarged.

Lori
Unread 06-21-2002, 09:26 PM

Sometimes when you have a bladder repair, they leave it in (supra-pubic goes through abdominal wall) to give the area time to heal. This way you can "train" the bladder to function and still be able to relieve yourself. The only trick my bladder will do is roll over and play dead. It needs more training I guess.
Unread 06-22-2002, 02:26 AM

Is there anyone you know of who could teach your bladder new tricks? I'm thankful that I wasn't in that situation. A hysterectomy is bad enough without that added "excitement."

Good luck and God bless you in your healing process.

Lori
Unread 06-22-2002, 03:39 AM

I had a supra-pubic catheter for just under 3 weeks post-op. I knew I would have it before my surgery and I think I worried more about that than the actual surgery!

I had a radical TAH BSO, part of which includes shaving tissue from the bladder. My Dr. explained to me that the bladder doesn't take kindly to being jostled about during the surgery, and therefore needs time to rest and become functional again. My Dr. was not able to tell me how long I would have the s-p cath (which drove me crazy too!) and only would say I would have it for a "several weeks". My Dr. also told me that he beleives using the s-p cath. can often times prevent bladder problems in the future.

My experience was that there are no special tricks to train the bladder (sorry ladies!). When I was 10 days post-op, my Dr. allowed me to try bladder training, which consisted of clamping the tubing, waiting a maximum of 2 hours or until I felt the urge to go (whichever came first), voiding on my own then unclamping the tubing to measure the residual urine. My Dr. wanted me to have less than 50cc's residual urine. My first attempt was not successful. So, back to leaving the cath open to drainage 24/7.

My next attempt, per my Drs. instructions, was 8 days later and success! Then the cath was removed, painlessly, right in the Drs. office.

I know it's difficult to have the cath, but try to remember the long term benefits of allowing your bladders to heal and regain full function and hopefully avoid any type of future bladder problems.

Best wishes and many s
Unread 06-22-2002, 08:27 AM

I throughly enjoy reading all posts, not just ones I can relate to. But sometimes I read things that I don't understand or have no clue about being it didn't happen to me.

I would like to learn all the differences and words and treatments, then it would help me understand what other ladies are going through.

Although I am very familiar with the foley catheter, I have no idea what the supra-pubic catheter is. Does it do the same thing? What is the difference between the two? Why one over the other?

Would/could someone explain this to me?
Thanks
Unread 06-22-2002, 10:11 AM

I had an SP catheter after hyst and bladder surgery. For those of you who don't know what that is, it gets poked through the skin into the bladder from the front of the pubic area just about at "hairline" level. There is a little inflatible balloon on the end that holds it in place. I also had a stitch tied around the tube to help hold it in place. Since the bladder/urethra has had stitches/mesh or whatever put into or around it, it can't have a cath inserted the regular way. Your bladder still needs to drain somehow, so they do it this way. I kept my cath for a week and a half. I think it is an individual thing as to when they pull it. I'm sure they gave you a "hat"-that wonderful measuring cup that you have to void into and that even more wonderful voiding chart that you use to keep track of how much and where you voided from. When what you can void through the urethra measures more than what is voided through the cath, you get the tube out. (And they do pull it---yowee!! Mine didn't come out painlessly!) Another helpful tip I learned concerned the leg bag. You need to move it from one leg to the other each day. This alternation keeps you from getting a real sensitive "hot spot" from the cath being in one place for too long. I also learned that if you keep the cath coiled next to you when you're in bed, it takes the pressure off the skin surrounding it and keeps kinks from forming in the cath tube. I had the wonderful experience of wetting the bed four times when I was in the hospital. I had a lot of IV fluid, and the cath got kinked up and this resulted in the urine backing up into the bladder and leaking out around the cath tube. It was more embarrassing than painful. The longer the cath is in, the less likely it is to leak this way, but a kink will still cause your bladder to feel like it is backed up. Hope this helps!
Unread 06-22-2002, 04:30 PM

Kathy,

Another reason to use a supra-pubic catheter, besides when some type of bladder repair is done, is for long term comfort and safety.

I have never had a foley catheter, only the s-p cath after my hyst. The s-p cath, though not exactly comfortable to have (I was more than ready to have mine out!) can be more comfortable for long term use than a foley catheter. It may have something to do with avoiding irritation in the urethra since it does not go through it. I think that a s-p cath may also decrease the chances of getting a UTI since it is put in as a sterile surgical procedure.

I'm not an expert by any means on s-p caths, but this is what I learned through my experience.

s
Unread 06-23-2002, 03:43 AM

Did anyone who had the s-p cath have problems with the rubber tubing that you clamp off? In addition to the clogging problems - I noticed that my tubing is starting to get a bit gummy and the rubber looks cracked (like it's getting old.) Thank God it's still draining.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway