HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

HRT & Smoking HRT & Smoking

Unread 06-25-2002, 12:58 PM
HRT & Smoking

I had a TAH (kept ovaries) on 3/21/02. I have been having 10-20 hot flashes a day for the last month. Obviously my ovaries are kaput. I have an appointment with my doctor next week and want to ask him for a prescription for an estrogen patch, however I am a smoker. I know birth control pills and smoking are a big no-no, but what about HRT?? I haven't been able to hunt down any information on this. Any smokers out there on HRT? What did your doctor tell you? Any info or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. I am longing for a good nights sleep .
Maxx
Unread 06-25-2002, 03:14 PM
hrt and smoking

Hi maxx,
I am 12 days post-op with lavh/bso I happened to smoke and
I spoke to my dr yesterday and he told me that there are risk to smoking and hrt and the best thing for me to do would be to quit
but, of course that would be up to me. There are risk to smoking and hrt, like stroke, blood clots, cancer, and stuff like that so it really does depend on you if you want to smoke. But I would go to your dr and ask him or her and they can tell you more about it . I hope you can get some much needed rest and that all goes well for you.
Unread 06-25-2002, 06:18 PM
HRT & Smoking

I have had the same questions. I :smokin:. One reason they pushed for me to have the TAH was so I would quit taking birth control pills. Well, they threw in a BSO while they were in there. So, I am facing the hormone problem. The doctor applied the Climara 0.1 in the operating room. I wore it for over 5 weeks, and then threw it away Sunday. It was driving me crazy, with the irritation and itching (but I am also allergic to soy, and it is soy-based.) From what I have found to read about it, the patch keeps the estrogen from hitting the liver and is safer.

I go back for my check-up tomorrow. I plan to ask lots of questions about the HRT/:smokin: dilemna.
Unread 06-26-2002, 05:24 AM
HRT & Smoking

Maxx,
Here's a thread with some very good information on smoking and hrt http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hlight=smoking

I think the bottom line is that smoking is not good for us, and the best thing to do is to quit smoking. Now I do know that that is easier said than done. I'm a smoker too.
Unread 06-26-2002, 02:42 PM
HRT & Smoking

OK. I am back from my almost 6 week check-up. I told Doc I threw away my patch and he asked if I wanted a pill. I reminded him that I smoke....and he said no problem. The hormone pills are a much lower dosage than the birth control pills. He did add that he'd rather I quit :smokin:...but I came home with 4 weeks of samples and a Rx.
Unread 06-26-2002, 09:03 PM
HRT & Smoking

I was going to say that studies are showing that estrogen is linked to lung cancer--when I see from Kim's link that I said it all so well before!

That's a great thread. It really is a major problem--hard to get balance and not so great for you to mix the two.

But I know that quitting is terribly hard. :cry:

I love my little dab of estrogen, but I never know what to say to smokers. I think I'd try to be off hrt until I quit (but then if I could do things like that, I'd lose all this weight ....)
Unread 06-26-2002, 09:12 PM
HRT and Smoking

Thank you starbright, Kim, and Suzie. This site is truely wonderful! I really needed some support and info from some fellow smokers. Hopefully my doctor won't have a problem with giving me an Rx. Relief is in sight!
Bless you all.
Maxx
Unread 06-27-2002, 05:19 AM
Maybe a dumb question.....

I had a TAH/BSO and have been using an HRT called Estrogel. I don't smoke (never learned to inhale), but my husband on the other hand is a two-packer a day and I was wondering if second-hand smoke could cause any problems with HRT. I seem to be having problems with absorption and since taking it have had ringing in my ears.

My guess is that the answer is probably "yes". But has anyone ever heard of any studies done on this or any links they may know of. Like I said this may be a dumb question but I am curious.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.