HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

lavh recovery time? lavh recovery time?

Unread 06-27-2002, 09:21 AM
lavh recovery time?

Don't call out the pillow police yet.....

I'm scheduled for lavh/bso on 7/17. Both my dr & his nurse assured me that not only can I return to work on 8/12 (I'm a dyslexia therapist on staff at a brand new school, so this date is non-negotiable) and even travel 6-7 hrs to a family reunion on 8/2. I will have the standard lifting restrictions.

I'm in good health & don't anticipate any complications.

Is this realistic - from those who have really been there??

Many thanks in advance.
Unread 06-27-2002, 09:28 AM
lavh recovery time?

I had a TVH on 6/13 so it's been two weeks today. The travel doesn't bother me as long as someone else is driving but I've not been in the car for 7-8 hours. As far as returning to work, I am going to begin working at home on Monday but I don't really think that I could go to work full time right now. I'm sure that everyone's different, though, and I would just try to wait and see. I hope that all goes well for you!
Unread 06-27-2002, 09:29 AM
lavh recovery time

I think it is realistic.

My employer allowed me 6 weeks off following my surgery and I went back at 4 1/2. (Guilt at knowing they were short staffed without me got the best of me!!)

I pretty much felt like myself after a week or so but tired easily. I drove my mom nuts by going upstairs to bed the first night I was home from the hospital!
Unread 06-27-2002, 09:32 AM
lavh recovery time?

Lanaye, If your DOCTOR assures you it is ok...........then I guess it is. I disagree here only because you didn't even have surgery yet, so how would he know for sure how things will be post hyst????? Traveling that distance 2 weeks post would have killed me the next few days afterwards(speaking from experience) and going back to work in less than a month might be pressing it. Recovery time varies for each women but the average time frame here is 6 to 8 weeks initially and up to a year for full recovery. My initial recovery was 10 weeks and it took me about 10 months to finally feel "normal". I wish you much luck with your surgery and recovery but remember you only have one chance to heal!!!!!! Do it right!!!!!!!! You won't regret it..........

Emily s
Unread 06-27-2002, 10:19 AM
lavh recovery time?

I think the work may be doable if you lie down at lunch time and have NO responsibilities when you get home and can hit the sofa immediately. The big issue is that sitting for too long at a stretch can be very hard on you. And you'll be very, very tired. You can probably do it if you have to.

That being the case, a 6-7 hour trip (each way!??) at two weeks will not be a whole heck of a lot of fun. If you're determined to do it, plan to stop every hour or two to lie down in the back seat for a few minutes and plan to be ensconced in a lounge chair during most of the reunion. And make sure you have plenty of pain pills. And bring a heating pad. I went on a 7-hour road trip at SIX weeks and that was as early as I would attempt a trip like that. By the time we got home I was holding the seat belt away from my tummy and popping Advil.
Unread 06-27-2002, 11:59 AM
lavh recovery time?

I wish you the best and as far as your questions, I can only tell you my story.
I had a LAVH on 2/25/02. I was home and feeling "ok" 18 hours later. I think the nurses were getting sick of seeing me pace the halls! That first week, I took it easy. Slept alot, read alot, drank alot, watched alot of movies, and basically that was it. By week 2, the insomnia hit hard. I was feeling great considering, but really tired. By week 3, I still wasn't sleeping and was bored out of my mind. (There are some great links to some wonderful internet games, etc. to pass the time at the top of the lists).
I went back to work at 4 weeks, thinking I was only going back part-time, and worked 45 hours that first week! I drive an hour to work every day and that was the biggest thing for me. I was really tired when I came home, but my boss was great. He would of agreed to anything to get me to come back.
My Dr had me get up and "take a walk" every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and walk for 10-15 minutes. My office is upstairs so I did a lot of pacing the halls, since my stair climbing was limited. That really got me through those early days. By 2 hours, I would get "foggy" and those walks really helped clear my head, besides the fact that I lost 10 lbs in the first 2 months! I still take a walk every so often just to get the blood flowing and to clear my head. I keep telling my boss that my Dr hasn't told me to stop yet and so far he has believed it!
Just listen to your body and you will know what to do.
Good luck,
Susie in Iowa
Unread 06-27-2002, 01:59 PM
lavh recovery time?

Neither of those dates would have been realistic for me. I know I would have been unbearably miserable on the trip.

And I am only guessing about work. I was not ready to do that much sitting at only 4 weeks post op.

It really depends on how quickly you recover, which is pretty unpredictable.

The main difference in LAVH and TAH is the incision. The inside work is the same. The recovery time is about the same, too.

I would want to err on the side of caution here. It is the only way to know you will be able to heal at the pace your body sets for you.
Unread 06-27-2002, 05:01 PM
lavh recovery time?

You should be fine. I had a LAVH on July 16, 2001 and after two weeks I was walking around the streets of Washington D.C. Granted I was walking SLOWLY and taking SEVERAL BREAKS but I did it and it felt great. You should be fine as long as you pace yourself.
Debbie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.